“Good Value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #262 of 386 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night as we had a late flight into Venice, we got a transfer to the hotel which for 5 of us was about £40 and took no more than 30 minutes. The hotel is right by Mestre station (train to Santa Lucia is 10 minutes) but just make sure when you come out of the hotel you turn right, we went left and ended up on a long walk in a residential area in the dark. The rooms are really modern and clean, we had a triple and double and both were really good. Staff friendly and even the bar wasn't too expensive. The breakfast was ok, not fantastic but good enough for the price of the stay. I love my coffee in the morning and as most have said - the machine coffee was not great, I went for black and added my own milk. The free wifi was fine for our use - which was minimal, although nephew using a lot on his phone. This is not a place to stay if you want views but for convenience of the station and being able to get around Venice it is great.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mich0206

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Hotel Lugano is clean and very conveniently located to the Mestre train station, which is about a 2-minute walk from the hotel's entrance. From the train station you can easily ride to the center of Venice in about ten minutes. The staff were friendly and helpful. Internet is included in the room rate, but did not always work.

The rooms are very basic and utilitarian. I stayed in a single room that faced the entry to the hotel from the second floor. I made the mistake of cracking my window open in the morning when I left. Upon my return the room reeked of cigarette smoke! People like to sit at the outside tables near the hotel entrance and smoke, so be sure to close your windows to keep the smell from drifting into your room. Please note, that the single rooms are small and if you are very tall or overweight, it may be difficult to use the restroom facilities, as the toilet is extremely close to the bathtub, leaving no room for your knees. (I am 5'7" and had to turn to the side to use the toilet because my knees hit the tub.) Using the tub/shower was somewhat cumbersome and had I been any larger I don't know that I could have done it easily. I noticed other users posted photos of the bathrooms. I urge you to look at their photos!

Breakfast is also included in the rate. The continental breakfast consisted of lots of breads and carb-loaded items such as croissants, muffins, rolls, cereals, scrambled eggs, one type of cheese, two types of deli meats, yogurt, and oranges. That's it. The coffee is from a machine that lets you choose between cafe, cappuccino, cafe lungo all at the push of a button. (Not very good.)There was also a machine that had orange juice and grapefruit juice that was also underwhelming.

My friend, who was staying at the neighboring Hotel Mondial, said that Hotel Lugano is much nicer in terms of its decor and its breakfast offerings. Also, at Hotel Mondial, their internet only works in the lobby and is NOT free. So, if you have to choose between these two hotels, definitely choose Hotel Lugano.

Ideally, I would have liked to have stayed in the center of Venice, but truth be told, it can be rather expensive! Hotel Lugano is a much better price point, offering all the basics that a traveler could need. I most likely would consider staying here again simply because of it's convenience to the Mestre train station and the decent price. Also of note, you can catch the ATVO airport shuttle bus to the VCE airport from the Mestre train station.

There are a couple of good local restaurants within walking distance that are worth looking up. One is a wine bar/restaurant called Dining Room and is a short walk behind the hotel. The other restaurant is called Ristorante Bar Piccolo and it is on the same street at Hotel Lugano, but on the other side of the traffic circle. I did not eat at the hotel's restaurant so can not comment on it other than the breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows facing the front are susceptible to smelling like cigarette smoke if you leave th...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank iSkylark
Falmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Hotel is very modern and recently been renovated or built to a very good standard, evening ,meal that we had was set menu and was disappointing, although others had non set meal the next night and really enjoyed it.bathroom was lovely and I really enjoyed breakfast , with the best fresh kiwi fruit I have ever tasted.location of hotel is short train or bus journey into Venice, watch out for pickpockets at station close by, and would to advise travelling at night from this station .

Room Tip: All rooms are good to best of my knowledge
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sdcharris
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

My son and I loved this hotel. It was in a lovely location. The reception staff and all we came in contact with were awesome. The room was spacious and the bathroom was outstanding. A extremely clean place. The hotel is on a major bus route which ran into Venice at least every 10 mins or so. So convenient to get to from the train station, where the bus from the airport dropped us off at. The breakfast was one of the best I have seen laid out each morning. We looked forward to our breakfast. The lobby of this hotel is wonderful, and before and after check out we were able to leave our bags there, which seemed to extend our lovely time there in Italy. I would highly recommend this lovely and awesome place to stay.

Room Tip: I believe you will get a awesome room, which ever room you get.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LusciousdoubleL
Schweiz
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Easy to find from V. Mestre station. Reception was somewhat unfriendly. Receptionist "did not know" about room availability and had to call manager who was not thrilled (disturbed at lunch?). Got a very small room for the price but this is Venice, I guess. Small balcony. Wifi worked well. Modern bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jule-Anna-E
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

the hotel is a old looking stile i was traveling by my self and they gave me a very small room very old fashion decor the bathroom was renew but the space was very limited and the smell was very bad like humidity.the breakfast was decent but not like others hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kacay

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Constanta, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We`ve been here 2 years ago, in april 2011, and we really enjoyed our stay. Even if they were renovating outside, inside was a nice atmosphere. The room was big and clean, the colors of the walls and the furmiture were of good taste. The Bathroom clean and spacious! We enjoyed the breackfast and the dinner also.
It`s close to the railway station and from there it wil, take you 10 minutes by bus to get to Venice!

Good value for money!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank IuliaI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Venice
Alexander Hotel
Hotel Tritone
Hotel Tritone
#10 of 58 in Mestre
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,222 reviews

Been to Hotel Lugano Torretta? Share your experiences!