“Expensive and crap”

Residenza Ca' San Marco
Ranked #229 of 479 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

First off, I'd like to preface this by saying that this was my first time in Venice. Maybe you have to pay $600+ a night for something halfway decent...maybe everywhere is WAY overpriced for what you get and this is actually a good option......?

Secondly, and VERY important, if you do end up staying here do not even try to find this place - go directly to hotel Bella Venezia - I had read that some people had to do this but I didn't understand that EVERYONE ALWAYS has to do this, there is no front desk staff here, ever. I thought they would have said something about this in the confirmation email, but not a word! Bella Venezia is on a much easier street to find and close to the tiny ally the rooms are on, so they can direct you. As others have said, don't do a google map route, just find the streets of the hotel Bella Venezia on their website and look that up on a map or you will never find anything!!

Now the main review-- we paid over $325 (about 245 euros) per night for this gross "hotel". I wasn't expecting greatness but this place was bad. I felt like we were staying in a tiny dorm room that had shiny golden drapes superglued to the walls.
Aside from being ugly the shower didn't work well - let water out all over the bathroom floor. The toilet seat was broken so it kept falling off while I was sitting on it!! The bedspread had a few white smudges on it (think of what we couldn't see!!).
The location (once you find it) is central - close to Rialto bridge and San Marco.
If the place were MUCH less expensive, maybe I could look past the bad things and consider staying here again, but for the price we paid I'd absolutely try somewhere, anywhere, else.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank AshleesOpinions

Reviewed 26 September 2013

You have to be Indiana Jones to find this hotel. Google maps has bad coordinates for it.
It is administered by the close by hotel Bella Venezia.

This residence is actually a tiny apartment close to the hotel.

Negatives:
Tiny room ,
very expensive
Faulty air conditioning (got very cold during the night)
Furniture looked old and in bad condition.
Mold at the bath ceiling.

Positives:
Close to Rialto and San Marco,
Nice bath
Nice breakfast
Helpful staff

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tpapas2
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We had a little hiccup on arrival. With some excellent directions that my mom found for me from other reviewers, we found the hotel without a problem. When we arrived, however, there was no one at the check-in desk. I tried calling the hotel, the company where we made reservations, and nothing. I kind of freaked out and then realized there was a sign on the door to go to a nearby hotel to check-in. Now I really wish I had read some of the reviews before the trip.

Anyway, the hotel had a great room, great breakfast, and so-so service (I asked the front desk where the nearest grocery store was located. She flat out told me they were all closed on Sunday and I should just go to the bar down the street. When I walked through the city, I passed by many grocery stores, all open. They just closed earlier on Sundays).

I would stay in another part of the city because to get back to the hotel at night, it was impossible to avoid extremely crowded areas. That's the appeal of hotel that it's so centrally located, but since Venice isn't that large, I would rather stay in a much less crowded area and just walk to the tourist sites when I want to, avoid them when I don't.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katherine Z
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Finding this place and checking in was not easy. If you haven't been to Venice you don't realize that directions and maps need to be taken with a grain of salt. Eventually found our way to a small alley with a note on a door to call or go to another location to check in. Having no phone we had to figure out where the other location was. We did finally and all went smoothly from there but as it was 95 degrees and we had been traveling all day would have appreciated proper directions. Room was nice although it looked out over the very small dark alley. Breakfast was excellent and location was good too - halfway between San Marco square and the Rialto bridge.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank papagee53
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We arrived here very tired after trekking around finding the place. There was a sign on the door directing us to a different hotel for check in or to ring the bell. We rang the bell and a guy told us someone would be round to get us so just to wait. We waited for ages and no one came so we rang the bell and no one answered. My wife went to find the other hotel that was written on the door and eventually we managed to get our key. The room was nice and met our needs. Breakfast was served at he other hotel and consisted of a great selection. Would probably stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaiiak321
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This place wasn't cheap by our standards, but it was totally worth it. We stayed in the junior suite which has a great balcony overlooking a canal. The room is done up in silk tapestry wallpaper with Murano glass decor, very Venetian. The staff were helpful and friendly, the location is excellent, and the room is a nice size by Venice standards.

The only downside was the horrible shower that floods the bathroom and some crusty looking notices on the wall there.

Highly recommended, would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dominic W
Reviewed 1 May 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Elizabeth A