Residenza Ca' San Marco
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrialto bridgejunior suitegreat locationdark alleythe main hoteltourist taxtucked awaytwin bedswould stay here againnice sizeroom was spotlessthree nightscanal viewarmoirereceptionistjacuzzi
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Residenza Ca' San Marco is a gem of a hotel centrally located between Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco. This small bed and breakfast is just a block or two away from the main shops which line the alleys between these two major icons of Venice. Once the "tourists" leave Venice you have the quiet of the city to yourself. The breakfast is very satisfying in this former monastery and there is no need to worry about transportation for everything you'll want to see or do is just a short, few minutes walk. But, you're away from any canal or busy alley, so it's extremely quiet at night for that much needed beauty rest. And only 5 min. to the Rialto Vaporetto dock.

Room Tip: There are only 2 or 3 floors and only 6 or so rooms per floor to choose from. Breakfast is served on each floor, I think.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sbritton3
Reviewed 6 October 2013

As other reviewers have said, go to the Hotel Bella Venezia to check in. The porter is very helpful and will take you to the Residenza. Our room was fine, with all you need for an overnight stay. It was clean. Breakfast is served at the Bella Venezia. Excellent buffet. Hotel staff generally helpful, when checking out we came across a receptionist who was not too friendly. He also asked us to pay the bar bill and tourist tax in cash!!? Not sure about that.
Location of the hotel is superb. Within walking distance of all the sights - only 5 minutes to St Mark's square. Shopping is good in the area and plenty of restaurants to choose from.

2  Thank ang111
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

First off, I'd like to preface this by saying that this was my first time in Venice. Maybe you have to pay $600+ a night for something halfway decent...maybe everywhere is WAY overpriced for what you get and this is actually a good option......?

Secondly, and VERY important, if you do end up staying here do not even try to find this place - go directly to hotel Bella Venezia - I had read that some people had to do this but I didn't understand that EVERYONE ALWAYS has to do this, there is no front desk staff here, ever. I thought they would have said something about this in the confirmation email, but not a word! Bella Venezia is on a much easier street to find and close to the tiny ally the rooms are on, so they can direct you. As others have said, don't do a google map route, just find the streets of the hotel Bella Venezia on their website and look that up on a map or you will never find anything!!

Now the main review-- we paid over $325 (about 245 euros) per night for this gross "hotel". I wasn't expecting greatness but this place was bad. I felt like we were staying in a tiny dorm room that had shiny golden drapes superglued to the walls.
Aside from being ugly the shower didn't work well - let water out all over the bathroom floor. The toilet seat was broken so it kept falling off while I was sitting on it!! The bedspread had a few white smudges on it (think of what we couldn't see!!).
The location (once you find it) is central - close to Rialto bridge and San Marco.
If the place were MUCH less expensive, maybe I could look past the bad things and consider staying here again, but for the price we paid I'd absolutely try somewhere, anywhere, else.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank AshleesOpinions
Reviewed 26 September 2013

You have to be Indiana Jones to find this hotel. Google maps has bad coordinates for it.
It is administered by the close by hotel Bella Venezia.

This residence is actually a tiny apartment close to the hotel.

Negatives:
Tiny room ,
very expensive
Faulty air conditioning (got very cold during the night)
Furniture looked old and in bad condition.
Mold at the bath ceiling.

Positives:
Close to Rialto and San Marco,
Nice bath
Nice breakfast
Helpful staff

1  Thank tpapas2
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We had a little hiccup on arrival. With some excellent directions that my mom found for me from other reviewers, we found the hotel without a problem. When we arrived, however, there was no one at the check-in desk. I tried calling the hotel, the company where we made reservations, and nothing. I kind of freaked out and then realized there was a sign on the door to go to a nearby hotel to check-in. Now I really wish I had read some of the reviews before the trip.

Anyway, the hotel had a great room, great breakfast, and so-so service (I asked the front desk where the nearest grocery store was located. She flat out told me they were all closed on Sunday and I should just go to the bar down the street. When I walked through the city, I passed by many grocery stores, all open. They just closed earlier on Sundays).

I would stay in another part of the city because to get back to the hotel at night, it was impossible to avoid extremely crowded areas. That's the appeal of hotel that it's so centrally located, but since Venice isn't that large, I would rather stay in a much less crowded area and just walk to the tourist sites when I want to, avoid them when I don't.

1  Thank Katherine Z