“An ok budget hotel”
Review of Trieste Hotel

Trieste Hotel
Ranked #327 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 19 October 2012

the only advantage is that its 2 mins away from venice mestre station, else the room size and bathrooms size are really small, its highly inconvenient, the free wi fi connectivity will not be strong in the rooms, you have to get it connected through lobby area, staff is not multi lingual, no option for vegetarian food, just a budget hotel if you dont have any good option

Room Tip: check the bathroom size first its really tiny, not comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ahdoshi

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed here for its location, convenient for transport links. Had some drawbacks though, such as noisy and ineffective air con, plus the fact that the sound insulation on the windows is poor. If your room is at the front then the traffic noise can be quite intrusive as the road outside is quite busy. The continental breakfast was acceptable, and the staff quite helpful. Overall it was just about acceptable for the price. One tip, take the train into Venice, the buses are crammed full, same price and tickets are available from the tabac next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I am an American who was based in Venice for this past summer, so I am pretty familiar with this area. I booked this hotel for the last night of my vacation, since my company was flying me back to the USA from Venice. I will give you my honest feedback on both the good and bad aspects of this hotel. I booked the hotel based on location (it is directly across the street from the Train Station, which makes or extremely easy transit into the heart of Venice and all it's tourist attractions, and both Marco Polo Airport AND Treviso Airport) So that part is a huge plus. On first glance, once you step into the lobby, it appears to be a chic, modern hotel. Lots of metal, modern design. The elevator is also pretty slick. However, that is a facade, and where all modern touches END. On most travel booking websites, this hotel boasts pictures of that modern lobby, and even modern looking rooms. I would like to know where those rooms are, because my room looks like something from the YMCA. It's more like staying in a convent than a hotel. But I'm ok with that- all I needed was a cheap room that is CLEAN, and SAFE. This hotel delivered that on both ends. But Travelers beware- the pretty rooms you see on the website are NOT what you get at this hotel. In fact, their pics are pretty deceptive. Now here are my issues: I arrived in Venice on a Saturday night. Being the young, solo traveller that I am, I dropped my bags in the room and prepared to hit the city. I called up a few local friends who I met over the summer to meet up at my room so we could head out. They were not allowed past the front desk when they arrived to come pick me up. And once inside, they had to leave their identification with the front desk, which I found weird, and inconvenient. I came back from my night out at around 1:15 am. The hotel was COMPLETELY locked up, with all lights in the lobby OFF. I stood out on the street amongst the many homeless people walking around in front of the train station waiting for the night clerk to a) WAKE UP from his nap, and then b) Open the door. :-/. Once inside, I asked him for a wifi pass. These passes are good for 2 hours. When I checked in, the person checking me in assured me that when the 2 hours was up, all I needed to do was come down to the desk and get another one, ANY TIME I needed. So when my 2 hrs ran out, I went back downstairs to get another. I needed to make some calls home. The lobby had ALL lights out again. The clerk was asleep in the back office. (Again). After waking him up, I asked for another wifi pass. He told me that after 2am it is not allowed. I explained that I was told I could get one at any time and that with the 7 hr time difference, I needed to make some calls. He told me that if I needed wifi, I should "...stay at a 5 star hotel." Um, yeah. NOT IMPRESSED. Long story short- room was cheap (for Venice) centrally located and clean. However, it clearly had its drawbacks. If you are a young, active traveller who needs wifi, and goes out late when traveling, this hotel may not be for you. I think this hotel would be nice for travelers over 50 who just want a budget place to sleep after seeing tourist attractions all day. That's my opinion / feedback. Hope it helps in your decision making process.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Despite mixed reviews, I chose this hotel as a cheap alternate to staying on Venice Island and we needed to be close to the train station. We were not disappointed in the location and it was easy and cheap enough to get to Venice Island and later to Verona. We were not expecting much with the price we prepaid. The hotel is right across from Mestre Stazione, 10 minute train ride to Venezia S. Lucia.
I like the way the hotel looks on the outside. The hotel is very basic. The modern lobby does not match the rooms. The gal who checked us in looked like she hated being there. The breakfast was adequate and more than we expected. Our triple room was just okay with a small, but functional bathroom.
However, we traveled with two females who got a very tiny bathroom. Had they not already settled in, I would have advised them to ask for another room. Their shower was directly over the toilet. A wooden board was provided to stand on while showering. It would have been dangerous, and the board looked unsanitary. They opted not to shower.
It’s not likely I would stay here again. However, it is convenient to the station if you have a lot of luggage and are on a budget. Check bathroom size before settling in. The location and price make it a reasonable option.

Room Tip: Be careful about what kind of bathroom you are getting.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GardaGal0912
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Chiose this hotel as it is close to the railway station in Mestre and I was entertaining clients in Venice for sightseeing and a meal.
The hotel is very basic and not condicive to a comfortable stay. The public area modern but with no soft furnishing or comfortable seating area. There is no bar area and the best that can be said of the entrance and ground floor is that it is functional.
The breakfast was of poor quality with cheap cereals and orange juice.
My bedroom on floor 3 was adequate, however, the bathroom was virtually unusable. You could only stand up in front of the hand basin. Further into the bathroom the ceiling was 5 foot high at its mid-point and to save banging your head had to bend over to use the toilet and bath. The height of the ceiling above the bath and shower fitting was about 3 foot 6 inches.
The bathroom in another of our rooms was so small you could not use the toilet properly because the bidet was placed so close. Niether I or any of the other 4 people in my party would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on floor three unless you are well below average height. Room 302 is terrible...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2012

It is very close to the Mestre train station and convenient to Venice airports. So if you have to take a plane early in the morning and arrive by train to Venice late in the night before, this hotel next to Mestre train station is an option. Do not expect much. Staff ( my experience) does not speak English at all, Wi-Fi in my room did not work, but it worked at the lobby, it is also limited to 2 hours for free. My room had a strong smell of smoke and I did not see an air conditioner. Luckily, it was not hot that night. My stay there was very short and for that it was OK.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Korovine
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I chose the Trieste Hotel for an overnight in Mestre because I was traveling with a lot of luggage and wanted to stay close to public transportation options and in an affordable hotel. It was just one block from the train station and less than two from the airport bus departure point, so it worked out perfectly. The price is much cheaper than many of the other hotels surrounding the train station. The hotel is a bit older, but the staff was very friendly. My room was on the 2nd floor, and there was an elevator much to my relief. Unfortunately, they do not have a breakfast option for those leaving before the scheduled breakfast which is one reason why I gave this place a 4 out of 5. The other reason was because the walls were thin, and I could hear a few of the other guests. Despite these few minor issues, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo