Hotel Palazzo Abadessa
US$331
US$281
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswater taxicomplimentary bottle of proseccobeautiful hotelprivate gardenstrada nuovaperiod furnituretucked awayvaporetto stopgrand canalold palacetrain stationpastriesmurano glass chandeliersthe hustle and bustleminute walksmall canalrialto bridge
Reviewed 27 July 2007

We got to the hotel for a 3 night stay, and were told that we'd have to change rooms after 2 nights. We weren't impressed, but were told we had been upgraded, so we didn't say anymore. And WOW and were we glad we didn't. The room we had for 2 nights was amazing, palace decor - painting on ceiling, chandaler, 17th century furniture etc... and absolutely massive. Also included was a free bottle of champagne.

Breakfast was nice and had a huge range to choose from, and sitting eating in the garden to start the day was perfect.

The member of staff on days was very, very friendly and helpful, and advised on entertainment, and booked a night at the Opera for us, gave directions, and it was a superb night.

Overall this is an excellent hotel, with fabulous pictures and furniture where ever you look. The one down side, which affected us on the first morning, was the work currently being done on the canal outside. The upgraded room backed onto the work, and at 7:30 woke us up. But with breakfast starting at 8:30, who wants to lay in bed sleeping when in Venice?

Would definitely choose this hotel again, and once canal work complete, would give it 5 stars!!!

Reviewed 15 July 2007

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at this 15th C Palazzo. Beautiful property, very good breakfast, and afternoon drinks. Air conditioning good, clean, and friendly employees (usually). Problems with the following; do not get or pay extra for canal view. The canal is torn up and the view is poor at best from our second story windows if the canal wasn't drained. Again they did not tell me either, even when I contacted them 1 week prior to our arrival. Not very helpful with recommendations and the local restaurant scene. Everything is very expensive here, including this hotel. On the day of our arrival, after a 18 hour travel day, we did not have any water to shower until midnight that evening and there was non stop noise from the canal due to this construction. We were offered only 'bottled water' to take a shower with and no discount off our rate due to the non-existant canal view which we paid extra for...Garden is beautiful but can be noisy from neighbors playing disco music both in the morning and evening or slamming weights (a gym??). We too were sent to a restaurant that was closed when we go there and were given very poor directions and information on the "Doges Secret Tour" which we did not go on, because we were not given the confirmation number by the Abadessa staff who had graciously made the reservations for us, but neglected to give us detailed information on where to meet, time, etc. Internet service is hit and miss and you must ask for it to be turned on (wirelesss). The value in our stay was lacking at the Abadessa being our first time with added challenges from this hotel.

6  Thank Brad M
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Palazzo Abadessa egregiously neglected to advise me prior to our arrival via our private water taxi from the cruise ship pier that the canal and their private dock were closed! Therefore, my wife who has painful limited mobility was forced to walk from the public dock to Palazzo Abadessa upon our arrival via our private water taxi from the pier and via departing vapretto. We were forced to use the public dock when utilizing our previously reserved private guided motorboat. Moreover, had I received prior notice of the canal closure I would have arranged for a wheelchair for my wife and/or sought alternative accommodations elsewhere. However, unfortunately, Palazzo Abadessa was unable to secure a wheelchair for my wife subsequent to our arrival. Furthermore, we had absolutely no view of the canal from our Palazzo Suite only an unsightly view and disturbing noise of construction. Additionally, two front-desk attendants referred us to three restaurants on two different evenings that we discovered only subsequent to arriving at these restaurants that at all three that were closed!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Lance11
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Belissimo!! a wonderful palazzo run by wonderful people. we have just returned from a wonderful stay at the palazzo. we were here for six nights to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and what a place to stay. we were treated like special friends, and felt so welcome, the place is full of antiques and paintings and the rooms are so venetian in design with frescoed ceilings, silk walls and wonderfully comfortable beds,everything is so clean and immaculately kept, it really is a joy. we had a lovely breakfast in the garden every morning, with the wonderful owner Maria-louise there to greet you with a charming smile and a friendly cheerful word, making you feel special, making a great start to your day.Darwin was on hand to help with any enquiries, and was so kind to book us tickets to the opera, and recommended a restaurant, and promptly rang them to say we were coming. Venice is so magical and romantic, as is the Palazzo Abadessa,and this combination made our special time so wonderful. we will be back as fast as we can, Thank you ,Maria and all the staff.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2007

Very pricey. . . but you get what you pay for. Excellent staff who make you feel like you are visiting their home (in fact the owner was there each day I was there and she made me feel like I was visiting her as a special guest). I had trouble with my luggage delivery (stuck in Italian customs . . . long story) and a staff member went out of his way repeatedly (calling customs and the package delivery service I was using) to get it to me before I left Venice and headed to my next destination. Location was quieter than most Venician hotels, which was very welcome. Nice courtyard, wonderful and plentiful breakfast, and evening hors d'oeuvres and bubbly that were among the best I have tasted. If you can afford it - GO!

1  Thank calitraveller15