“Perfect ... Authentic Venetian Rooms ... Top Notch Service!”

Hotel Antiche Figure
Ranked #9 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 6 April 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Antiche Figure hotel from March 28 - April 3 (7 Days & 6 Nights) and the reviews are dead-on accurate. Our last stay in Venice was 10 years ago when we were backpacking Europe, and frankly we now like to go back here every 1 or 2 years ... now that we can afford more a luxurious traveling lifestyle. This was the perfect spot for us. We were looking for a room decorated in traditional Venetian style and we got it. We also wanted a room overlooking the canal, and got that too. After several emails with Gianni, Michele, Yisel, we got the room we wanted. The Blue rooms are overlooking the canal and is excellent if we want to enjoy the views outside or just watch the new arriving crowds from the train station. I just hope Antiche Figure keep their prices reasonable and affordable and they will remain one of the best valued hotel in Venice. When we arrived, Carlo was very nice and showed us around, giving us a choice of the traditional rooms or brand new suite in another building (with hydro-massage showers). We opted for the traditional Venetian room overlooking the canal, just as we planned. The bed was very nice and soft. The bathroom/toilet is Italian marble and very well appointed. The bath tub can be slippery, so be careful. The cold breakfast was superb - ham, salami, and bolognia, cappucino, orange juice, serial and milk, and croissants. And if ever there's a need for improvement, I would say - hot scrambled eggs and bacon :) We also booked a Vivaldi Concert (Le Quattro Staggioni) and we enjoyed it thoroughly. I talked to Francesca and she said I should go to the concert where they wear the 18th century musician customs and we took her advice. Mikhael booked us without a problem and we got front row seating. Vivaldi, a son of Venice, just like Mozart is a son of Salzburg, should be heard when you are in Venice. Le Quattro Staggioni (The Four Seasons) is one of my favorite classical masterpieces and this completed my stay in Venice. Since the Antiche Figure is just across the train station, my wife and I went to Verona for a day's trip. We visited Casa Guiletta (the home with a balcony where Romeo climbed to see Juilette or Guiletta). Verona is also very nice. And we came back to a nice hotel after a tiring day. If you are ever tired of walking, the Antiche Figure hotel is also just across the Vaporetto stop. You can get a 36 hour pass for 23 euro or a 72 hour pass for 33 euro. You can get to San Marco, Rialto, Murano, Lido, Guidecca, and Georgio easily. We like to walk, so it was OK not to stay near San Marco - the point is to walk and get lost in Venice. And everytime we come back to the hotel after a tiring day of sightseeing, Mikhael, Carlo, Francesca, and Gianni would always greet us with a smile if they were not busy serving other guests. The friendly atmosphere and culture of the staff is worth 5-star. As they say, it's not just the place, it's the people. Combine the nice rooms, the location, the service and welcoming staff, and the price .. and you got a great value hotel that is more than three-stars in my book. I hope they offer discounts for loyal guests. My wife said she will only stay in this hotel in the future, and I agree with her.
If you ever wonder with this hotel is called 'Antiche Figure' .. it's because they found an 1860 photo of this building. And in that photo, there were fresco paintings of antique figures on the facade of the building that is now this hotel. Unfortunately, the painted frescos has washed out. I hope that the owner restore the Fresco painting - that would be awesome. A lot of buildings in Venice are undergoing restoration, so why not restore the fresco paintings outside the Antiche Figure? Thanks again Antiche Figure for the wonderful stay.

2  Thank ayap

Reviewed 31 March 2009

Located virtually opposite the train station, separated by the grand canal. Only problem was that we had to cross a bridge to get to the hotel, which was a bit more tiring with an infant, stroller and 2 heavy suitcases. Hotel staff are excellent and as mentioned on another review, can make excellent suggestions for restaurants. We payed a little extra for an upgraded room at the suggestion of staff given our infant. This was located in a new separate part of the hotel down the side alley. This room was more spacious than their regular rooms and also had a small kitchenette, which we appreciated given our infant. The kitchenette looked like it was rarely used and lacked kitchen utensils, but the staff did provide items at our request. Overall, very satisfied with the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I have to say that the guy at the front desk was the friendliest person I have ever met. He had some great suggestions for restaurants, knows the ins and outs for tourists. The hotel itself is a bit removed from St. Marco's Square, but you could bus it or walk it even. The great thing is that it is right across the canal from the train station. I have such fond memories of my trip to Venice and I think it was made extra special because of my stay at this hotel. If you don't have friends in Venice that will take you out to all the local places, this is your next best bet. The rooms are also very nice and clean.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel for our 10th anniversary 3/14-3/17. Upon arrival we were told that they had overbooked the hotel that night by accident and booked us a room at the "Sofitel" which is a very beautiful hotel and we were perfectly fine with accomadations. Carlo even walked us down to the Sofitel and made sure that we were okay. When we arrived back to the Hotel Antiche Figure the next day they gave us a very beautiful and romantic room and included breakfast for our troubles. It was no trouble though. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great. This was our 2nd time back to Venice and we walked to places that we didn't see on the 1st visit. We had a great time and loved this hotel. Great location! If we come back this is where we will stay!

Reviewed 30 March 2009

It was wonderful to see our hotel from the steps of the train station as we walked to the bridge. Venice is a confusing city and we were able to find this great hotel easily, get rid of our bags, and be on our way to see the sights. Our room was wonderfully comfortable and spotless. We were given a great map at the hotel and there are signs posted to help us find our way to the Rialto Bridge and San Marco. We got to see lots of wonderful sights along the way. You want to get lost in Venice anyway, so this gave us lots of opportunities to see everything in between.
I loved the computer in the lobby, and when it was time to go, we left our bags with them because we had a late train to Vienna. The breakfast was phenomenal -meat, eggs, croissants, cheese, yogurt, juice, coffee of all sorts, much more and all yummy!
The staff was warm, welcoming, and spoke English perfectly. We were given lots of good advice about riding the vaporetto and where to find good food. Carlo was especially helpful when I needed to get in touch with family the evening we left. We loved our stay at Hotel Antiche Figure and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 28 March 2009

The reviews are right -- this is a newly restored hotel with impeccable service and outstanding rooms. The rooms are very decorative and period. The service goes overboard and they are willing to help in any way. The free tour to Murano is worth it. We bought a couple of vases there. The water taxi picks you up for free. The hotel is right across from the train station and walking distance to many fine trattorias and restaurants. Great location, great breakfasts, and more importantly, superb service and rooms. Would stay here again, hands down.

Reviewed 26 March 2009

My dad and I stayed here for a night while he was visiting me. I was looking for a convenient location as well as cleanliness and separate beds. We got all those and great service as well. They even called our next hotel in Florence and got us a major discount! wow- that is incredible service. They are located right across from the train station so easy drop off of your bags. It is about a half hours walk to St. Marks square, but a nice stroll. The room was a bit small, but then again, that's standard in Venice. Make sure to check if you make your reservation is through expedia or hotels.com- there is probably no breakfast (colezione) included.

• Stayed: March 2009