“Would return”

Ranked #194 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Brighton
“Would return”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We found this hotel suited our needs for a weekend stop in Venice. It was not cheap but no hotel in Venice is going to be cheap so visitors need to be realistic in this respect. Our room and bathroom were both perfectly adequate for our needs as we were intent on spending most of our time out and about in Venice and the surrounding environs. The location was good for us, right next to a Vaparetto and Traghetto stop and roughly midway between Ferrovia and Rialto so both were within easy walking distance. The hotel only does bed and breakfast so its proximity to a number of restaurants was a plus point and in the evenngs we managed to eat at canal side restaurants without any problem. The breakfast was typical continental fare and there was no restriction on the amount eaten, yes, if you pay more I am sure you could get better rooms and a much more sophisticated breakfast elsewhere but there were cereals, breads, meats, fruit, fruit juice, tea and coffee so you didn't need to go hungry. We had no issue with noise from other rooms particularly although some guests were not at all quiet when coming in at night, but this was their fault not the hotels. Overall we were happy with the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bazcoop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Having not visited Venice for over 30 years I faced a dilemma in writing this review as I did not want to be prejudiced by the overall deterioration of Venice over the years. TA reviews influenced us to choose this hotel. The positives were being close to the train and water taxi stations, and nearby satisfactory eating places were available. The room was, however, small and the facilities very compact and poorly lit. The walls were paper thin as we could hear all adjacent rooms noises. No English speaking TV channels. Continental breakfast was barely average quality. Overall at Euro140pn this did not deliver good value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have to admit the 1st night was very rough...one of those nights I will always remember. But let's back up 8 hours. Upon arriving in Venice and getting lost trying to find the hotel we finally checked in! Hallelujah we found it. Note- The hotel is centrally located we just got off at the wrong stop.

The staff was polite and checking in was pretty easy. Getting up to your room can be a slight challenge. Option 1- Take the stairs Option 2- Place your luggage in the elevator, press the button, run up the stairs, as soon as you get up the stairs press the button to stop the elevator, open the elevator and retrieve luggage. The room was average; tile floors, nice views, nightstand, TV, and private bath. I opened up the windows and turned on the A/C before we headed off to start cooling off the room.

After a wonderful evening we headed back to the hotel. As soon as I walked in the room seemed hotter than before we left and the A/C was still going (think of the little engine that I could). Nothing like laying on a ROCK and I mean Flintstones ROCK/CEMENT hard bed for hours while beads of sweat dripped off my body. The A/C was chugging in the background (I think I can, I think I can), with every window opened praying for a gust of wind, all I got was street noise.

The next morning I slithered my body out of bed and into the sink...I mean shower. I'm not a large person, in height or weight, but this shower was SMALL. Basically you have to raise your arms in the air to move/turn around. By this time the room had finally cooled down. Dragged my body downstairs to breakfast, which was included. Standard breakfast nothing special except the espresso (excellent), which I had several serving of.

Since I knew the bed wasn't going to become soft over night and it was still blazing hot. I left the A/C on our entire visit, consumed several alcohol beverages before bed topped off with a sleep aid.

Would I go back to Venice? Yes, in a heartbeat. Would I stay here again? Nope.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelmama79
Park Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I am loosing faith in TA reviews. I would not recommend this spot. It surely does not warrant the 4 stars it had when I did my research. It is close to the train station, clean, and close to water transport. That is all it has going. By american standards, this is nothing special for about $230 nt for trpl. Shower is so tight, u better be sure not to drop the soap unless you bring a spare bar in with you. Breakfast is served which I don't like. They do this to keep cost down. You have to ask for most everything. Convenience is all it really has going. Venice is expensive, so choose your accommodation carefully. Cheaper is not always better. This hotel is a solid 2 out of 5 on a good day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Venice and loved it despite unseasonably wet and cold! This b&b is in a great location with many varied restaurants in walking distance and ideal for walking into all the key tourist attractions too. The breakfast was ok, but nothing special but fine if you are expecting it. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We would recommend to stay here for a long weekend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The Locanda is a remarkable hotel. Brilliantly situated in Cannaregio - one of the most laid back districts of Venice. Our room was huge, with balcony and canal view. The hotel located very close to the San Marcuola vaparetto stop - and not too far from the train station.
Cannaregio is a delightful district to wander. Full of delightful restaurants, shops and palaces - and lots of smaller canals. Plus what I found to be the best coffee shop ever. More on that in a separate review.
Service at the hotel was extremely friendly and efficient. The morning breakfast was delicious. Everything in the hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff were wonderful.
Special mention should be made to Alfredo, Martina and Mauro on the front desk. They were always ready to help and advise. Martina, especially. It was a pleasure to talk to her about gardening - of all things in Venice.
Certainly we will return if we are ever fortunate enough to visit Venice again

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the superior rooms. Well worth the extra.