“Palace Bonvecchiati - Great Hotel, Great Location, BUT!”

Palace Bonvecchiati
Ranked #100 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Mount Prospect, Illinois
“Palace Bonvecchiati – Great Hotel, Great Location, BUT!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked 4 Deluxe Double rooms for our group of 4 couples. Upon arrival we were told all rooms were upgraded to Junior Suites at no charge. The rooms were large, comfortable, and well appointed. Our room had a balcony\patio that was almost as large as the room. They even gave each room a complementary bottle of champagne.

The hotel was in a great location. We were within a few blocks from shopping and the Rialto bridge in one direction, and St. Mark’s Square a few blocks in the other direction.

The one disappointing part of the hotel’s policy is that even though we booked the rooms without pre-paying for them, the hotel charged my credit card for one night’s stay for each of the 4 rooms 7 days before we arrived. We have never been charged in advance for a room that was not pre-paid and you should be forewarned about this.

Another hotel where we stayed in Italy said charging the credit card in advance for a non pre-paid room is not even allowed in Italy. Not sure if this is true, but it doesn’t seem like a good way to do business. I can understand pre-authorizing a credit card without actually processing the charge, but not actually putting the charge thru. In our case the charge was for 1620 euros 7 days before we arrived.

If you are looking for a quality hotel in a great location, Palace Bonvecchiati is for you. Just be aware that they will be charging your credit card in advance for all rooms booked with your card.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at The Palace Bonvecchiati for two nights at the end of a 15 day holiday in Italy. The water taxi from the train station was 80 euros as they had to travel a bit further. We checked in early and were escorted by Ugo to the room. The room was good sized with a lovely bathroom on the 4th floor. We were given the name of a restaurant they recommended, Trattoria Do Forni and they told us to ask for Diego. When we arrived we were escorted to a separate room in the back. This was a very expensive tourist trap. I was very disappointed in the referral. After a completely sour experience another staff member referred this restaurant again. There is obviously some arrangement with the hotel and the restaurant ...don't go there. Other than that, great hotel and wonderful location. I would stay here again, but would not take their restaurant recommendations.

2 Thank DSFMD
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this lovely hotel in the heart of Venice for four nights (June 14-18). Ours was a quiet room with a roof top view, which suited us just fine. This hotel is central to the Ponte Rialto and Piazza San Marco, and practically next door to the best gelato in Venice!!! Breakfast was always good. Helpful staff although the maid neglected to refill the tissue box, which was an issue as we both had head colds. Wifi not free. Bed comfortable. Overall clean and ambient. A lovely place to lay your head while exploring beautiful Venice.

• Stayed June 2014
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here six nights late May, early June. Two rooms -- two friends in one room, two friends in the other. Four problems with front desk. (1) Friend who shared my room arrived three days later; I left note with front desk telling them which room he was in. When he arrived, he was given key to the other room, not the one he would be using. (2) I asked if towels were available on Lido, was assured there were none, and I would have to buy beach towels when I got there. We went one afternoon, rented a cabana, and found that towels were readily available for rent at the cabana. Hotel staff should be more familiar with their own city. (3) I checked out about 6:45 a.m., intending to catch Alilaguna boat to airport from Rialto at 7:33. Man at front desk said there was no 7:33 departure, and I would have to go to San Marco to catch different boat. I showed him print-out I had made of Alilaguna schedule a few days earlier; he assured me it was mistaken. Rushed to Rialto to catch the 7:03, and made it, and learned that there is, in fact, a 7:33 departure. (4) I was paying for both rooms, and explained to desk clerk that friends in the other room were leaving later, and that both rooms should be charged to my credit card. Clerk was having trouble with the computer, but printed out statement for me showing charges for both rooms, and told me he would send final billing by email. Hotel had not one, but two of my credit card numbers on file (and had charged one of them, pre-arrival, for part of the stay). When friends left later in day, staff accused them of trying to leave without paying bill, and said I had not yet checked out. Billing showed up on my credit card a day or two later; never received email with final statement.
On the other hand, the room had ample space, overlooking canal. No counter space in bathroom; had to use stool under sink for toothpaste, shaving stuff, etc. I will never understand what European hotels have against shower curtains; we got water all over the bathroom whenever we showered, no matter how careful we were. (Have had same problem in 5-star London hotel.) Most important, the location can't be beat -- straight-line walk to Rialto, straight-line want to San Marco -- no more than 4 or 5 minutes to each. Price is very reasonable by Venice standards. But bad experience with staff will make me think twice about going back. (This was my second stay in the hotel.)
t b was ull rt

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Clackman
Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Ideally located close to the San Marco square. We spent Christmas over there and had a fantastic time. Room service is quick qnd efficient.
Last, we arrived at the hotel with a private taxi boat from the airport, I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Monmouth, South Wales
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and myself have just come back from Venice and stayed at the best hotel. Palace Bonvecchiati was absolutely amazing. We arrived early and were allowed to check in more or less straight away. We were upgraded to a Canal view room - which I would highly recommend. Breakfast was ample and each morning we sat overlooking the canal watching the comings and goings.

We can't wait to go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Facing the canal
1 Thank Maples86
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our lovely stay at The Palace began with a thrilling Water Taxi arrival. Our room was ready an hour later, so we were escorted through the labyrinthe to La Terraza, the open air dining venue. At 10 0'clock, it was charming and though we were charged 8 Euros for 2 cups of coffee, it began our stay on a perfect note. Though our room had no view, it contained evry comfort including a wonderful bath. Beware Italian showers, they are always playful.
Unfortunately breakfast next day was chaotic, filled with anxious tour groups, frantic waitpersons
ordering guests around, shortage of plates, cutlery. It would be more equitable if guests paying full tariff could be served in a separate room, not a High School cafeteria ambience,
But, like all previous reviewers, I have only high praise for the staff and location.

Room Tip: We asked for a view, but none was available.