“Eased my transition to 40”
Review of Hotel Moresco

Hotel Moresco
Ranked #2 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Eased my transition to 40”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband & I stayed at the Moresco for four nights to celebrate my 40th birthday and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The location is really close to the bus terminal which is literally a 5 minute walk away, that said it took us 1.5 hours to find the hotel but that was down to poor GPS on our phones and just being in Venice....your going to get lost.
We stayed in the Florists room which was very nice although not huge but well appointed. The adjoining bathroom was nice too with a lovely walk in shower and plenty of hot water. It's really hard to find fault with any aspect of our stay however, we did have one quibble; the bed was a great size and really comfortable but we kept waking up in the small hours as we were getting too hot. At first we thought this was something to do with the air con' but after a couple of nights realised that it was due to a plastic/rubber sheet that had been put on the mattress. It is of course to be expected to have a mattress protector on a mattress but I wonder if they could provide a more breathable solution. It was quite chilly when we stayed so I can't imagine how hot it would get in the Summer.
Everything about the Moresco was fantastic, from the interior and exterior dials to the soft furnishings and food but I think the two things they have got 100% right are their staff and the room rate - ill get to the staff in a mo'! We were drawn to the Moresco because of the reviews and but also we loved the look and feel of the hotel from the photographs;it's family run, boutique and was small enough to care. During our stay we met other couples who'd also travelled from the UK and I heard one or two moaning that the rooms were too small or the wardrobes not big enough..etc etc but I have to disagree, I think the Moresco punches way above it's weight for the tariff you pay. It isn't as big or grand as the Gritti Palace but it isn't £900 a night either! Personally, i'd still stay at the Moresco if given the choice. Just my two penneth!
So on to the staff, who were all a huge credit to the hotel during our stay. They are polite, friendly, discrete, genuine and very professional. A special thank you goes to Barbara who works on reception who patiently helped us navigate the beaurocratic system that is ACTV! One of the vaperetto machines swallowed our money - 60 euros to be precise but to get your money back you have to file a complaint, make a report etc etc and none of it is a quick fix. Barbara filled out the form for us and called ACTV but as we were leaving in a couple of days she gave us her email address and once back in the UK she called on my behalf again and eventually, after about 8 weeks....we were refunded! Thank you Barbara.
I have one suggestion as a possible improvement which would be that the rooms have a DVD player in them and a DVD library in reception. Obviously, folks down travel to distant shores to watch TV but anyone who needs to stay in their room due to bad weather or a bad health day (I have these) would really appreciate something to watch other than BBC World News. That said, I did watch a very informative piece about female diamond miners - who knew.
I will definitely stay at the Moresco next time i'm in Venice.

Room Tip: The Florists room has a beautiful view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monkeygonetoheaven17
HotelMorescoStaff, Direttore at Hotel Moresco, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate an anniversary for yourself so important.

We are pleased that we were able to satisfy your expectations and that he took the time to share your opinions, which are very important for us, with other users of Tripadvisor.

About bedspread, we are already looking for the solution more comfortable for our guests.

When you decide to visit hotel Moresco again,
please do not hesitate to contact me personally..

Bogdan Tanaskovic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Moresco and our only complaint was that it was just for the one night. The hotel is beautifully appointed with a great location (just a 5 minute walk to the main bus station from where you can catch a bus to the airport or a vaporetto on the Grand Canal). The staff was very friendly and incredibly helpful to a Venice newbie.

Checking in requires a few minutes wait while they scan your passport and get everything ready. While you're waiting, you can have some pastries and coffee, free of charge, in their private garden. Breakfast was incredible with a huge selection of food including some cooked to order. And, after we checked out, they let us keep our bags at the hotel (again free of charge) so we could wander around without them before leaving Venice.

We would absolutely stay here again the next time we're in Venice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Queev
HotelMorescoStaff, Direttore at Hotel Moresco, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest from Silver Spring,

thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments

Your happiness is our greatest source of motivation, and makes us want to improve every day…for you, our guests .

We are very excited to know that want to come back to Hotel Moresco, and please do not hesitate to contact me when making the decision.

Kind regards,
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Prior to arrival all emails were answered promptly and in a friendly way. On arrival, despite being early, we got a drink whilst waiting for the check-in paperwork to be completed and then were shown straight to our gorgeous room. The hotel is lovely and the staff couldn't be any more helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are well equipped and beautifully decorated - if we were forced into a negative, it would be that the tv has barely any English channels (BBC World news and that's it), but hey, who comes to Venice to watch tv?! Breakfast has plenty of choice (their Muesli is to die for!) and drinks throughout the day and in the evening are served by Alfredo - lovely friendly guy who brings you little nibbles each time you have a drink, whether it be sweet or savoury! The hotel is away from the busy part of Venice but still within walking distance of everything - we'd come back again in a shot and would do nothing but highly recommend a stay here. Thanks to all staff who made out stay for our 1st wedding anniversary, a memorable one!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

thanks for kind words and positive opinions about our hotel.

Your opinion are very important to us
For this we have already contacted the repair man's of the TV to possibly add other channels in English.

Maybe for the bad days, although Venice is beautiful even when it rains.

We can not wait to greet you personalmenti again in our hotel.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Wow, great hotel, great location (more on that in a moment), extremely competent and friendly staff, so much attention to details in this small boutique location.
My wife and I chose this location because of its previous reviews and we're not disappointed.

Location: having arrived at St Marco Airport, our first decision was how to transfer. We chose Airport bus, No 5, ticket machine or desk at Airport on arrival - 6 euros each one way) but could have arrived at the hotel by water taxi, gondola or nearby water bus stop). Transfer to bus station (Piazza le ROMA) so easy after pickup at airport point immediately outside terminal (signposted). Hotel a short 2 min walk (2x bridges) from bus station or water taxi / gondola drop-off points. Water taxi will drop-off outside door. The immediate area has a youthful vibe which my wife and I enjoyed particularly in the nearby Piazza's and canal side cafe's. After walking to the Rialto bridge via everywhere (not in a straight line) on day one my wife and I decided to use the water buses thereafter and save our feet. Every main tourist location is accessible from this service so save your feet.

Arrival: We were welcomed by the reception staff who checked us in (early). Whilst they took our bags to our room, my wife and I enjoyed in the sunshine in the lovely garden just at the side of the hotel, a lovely retreat. The hotel is not large and is spotlessly clean and has some beautiful touches like the stained glass windows and parasoled soft furnishings in the garden area.

Rooms: Individually appointed boutique rooms, ours (room 203) was a good size, huge bed (firm but comfortable for us), room extremely quiet at night as described (see hotel details), lovely walk-in shower AND double ended deep standalone bath in spa style bathroom with mood lighting and beautifully tiled floors and walls. Again scrupulously clean with complimentary bottle of prosecco waiting on ice to welcome your stay.

Breakfast: Beautifully appointed breakfast room or garden area for breakfast. Fresh fruit selection and yoghurt so tasty, eggs cooked to order, lovely touches like full honeycomb in drip tray for delicious honey, fresh strawberries and prosecco if you want to be indulgent / romantic in the morning, delicious pastries, croissants, cold meat selections etc, etc. delicious coffees and selection of teas and freshly squeezed juices all pointed to fantastic attention to detail again.

Snug room lovely for an evening drink with complimentary snacks during happy hour or drift over to the nearby Piazza's or cafe's or get a water taxi to a special location.

My wife and I will be forever grateful for the terrific memories that Venice afforded us which the hotel Moresco played a significant part in. Give it a try.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bigsigh40
Dear Guest,

We are proud to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that our hospitality reached your expectations

This is one of our main objectives, which our guests when they come home bring a beautiful memory for our beautiful city.

We hope to see you again soon!

Swindon
Reviewed 9 May 2014

As a regular reviewer on TA I'm always happy to share my views of places I've visited. But with the Moresco, I find that all I can do is repeat all the excellent comments by previous reviewers. It really is as good as they say and in my view a great deal of that is down to the excellent attitude of all the staff, so my thanks to them all for making our recent stay such an enjoyable experience. I do have one or two general comments to add. The first is regarding the time to walk to St.Marks Sq. My wife and I are both 60 so our general walking pace is a stroll, plus if you take time to enjoy the walk and look at the shops etc, it is a pleasant hour. Perhaps if you walk briskly it could be 30 mins. The walk there is well signposted but the return back to the hotel can be confusing in the maze of narrow streets, but if you follow the signs to Pizzale Roma (Bus station) you will be heading in the right direction. Maps are useful, but often bear no resemblance to the actual street names.
Secondly, on arrival we used the taxi service arranged by the hotel which was excellent. We were met at arrivals and the car was right outside the airport door. On the 15 min drive the driver told us stories about Venice and took us to a car park 5 mins from the hotel and carried our bags the rest of the way, which was fortunate as there are a couple of steep bridges to negotiate on the way. At 50 euros each way, I think it was great value for money.
We do plan to return to Venice again and without doubt will use the Moresco

2 Thank soluta
Dear Guest,

thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review us.
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Moresco.

To all our guests on arrival, from which we have address,
we send an information how to get to our hotel.
Because as you say:" In Venice, it is not easy to orient".
Especially the first time.

We look forward to having you back with us.
When he decides to return please do not hesitate to contact me personally

Studio City, CA
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Even prior to our trip Hotel Moresco was very responsive & helpful. We reserved a water taxi and what a fun way to enter into Venice! The hotel gave great directions on how to find the water taxi and our driver pulled up just as we walked up.

We arrived in the morning, so we knew our room wouldn't be available yet but we were still invited to sit in the parlor and enjoy glasses of complimentary Prosecco... great way to unwind after a long flight!

We couldn't wait to walk around and see the city and by the time we were back after lunch our room was ready & our bags were already taken care of... with another bottle of Prosecco that we opted for upon booking waiting for us! Our room was very spacious for European standards and the bathroom was like a spa... we loved every detail of the room.

While we didn't get to enjoy the garden since we had two rainy mornings, the complimentary breakfast in the dining room was GREAT! My husband and I are not ones to need many hotel amenities, as we like to be out & about in the city... but this breakfast was the best we had during our trip to Italy & Spain and we gladly hung around both mornings to enjoy the spread, cooked to order eggs & bacon... and the amazing cappuccino!

While it was on the higher side of our hotels on our trip, it felt so special and was worth every penny.

We also enjoyed the nearby Santa Margarita Piazza... and liked that we were walking distance, but not too close to the busy St. Mark's.

Stay at this hotel!!

1 Thank Jen M
Dear Jen,

thank you for your positive comments and we are especially pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast.

For us it is very important to find the right products, which can satisfy the varied taste of our guests

We sincerely hope we can welcome you soon to Venice and also to our hotel Moresco

Kind regards
Caernarfon
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel on 17/04/14 for 2 nights to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. It was minutes away from the train and bus station which was very handy. The hotel is in a quiet location right by the canal. We were greeted warmly by Barbra on arrival and as we were early we were offered a complimentary drink and it was served to us in the lovely garden of the hotel. Staff were all extremely friendly. We received a bottle of prosseco in our room which we were really happy about. The room was spacious, modern and clean. There was a mini bar with complimentary bottled water in it. The breakfast was really tasty and plenty to choose from. We enjoyed the walk from the hotel to the St Marks area which takes about 20-30 minutes depending on how quickly you want to go. There are so many lovely buildings to look at on the walk to St Marks that you really do not notice how far it is.

2 Thank shoned123
Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate the compleano of your husband.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the position, warm welcoming from Barbara, services offered to our guests...

We'd greatly appreciate if you choose hotel Moresco to celebrate your anniversaries in the future

Sincerely