“Phenomenal Guided Tour”

Venicescapes Historical Society
Ranked #48 of 165 Tours in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: A rolling, graduate-level lecture series delving into world history, religion, architecture, art, politics, economics, shipbuilding, infrastructure, and private culture, with the entire City of Venice as its classroom.
Los Angeles, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Phenomenal Guided Tour”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I found Michael Broderick and his Venicescapes Historical Society via his other great reviews on Tripadvisor. We took the Splendors of Piety guided walk, which was scheduled to run four hours, and which Michael generously (and spontaneously) extended to well over five. If you are intellectually curious and crave more than just the standard tourist's cursory overview of Venice, these are the walks for you. Michael's engaging manner, deep bench of knowledge and his conversational approach to his subject matter makes for a highly enjoyable and very satisfying experience. Michael's talk about artists Titian, Tintoretto and Veronese, about the scuole and con-fraternities of Venice, about the various mendicant religious orders, as well as the social, political and cultural contexts in which these people lived their lives, was highly enlightening and provided a solid foundation for the rest of our visit to the city. Michael doesn't just talk at you -- you're free to ask questions and to deepen and clarify your understanding of the material he's presenting. Highest possible recommendation.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank gr8erday

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A City Of Nations Tour With Venicescapes Historical Society”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Through your site I was able to enjoy Venice and its amazing history and culture and heritage like I had never believed possible.
Michael Broderick was my guide for the 6 hour " A CITY OF NATIONS TOUR " offered by
" Venicescapes Historical Society "
The tour itself was exactly as the name suggests.." A journey through time ". I was able to see and understand, so much of the history surrounding the many communities that have called, (and in many cases), still do call Venice home. Venice has an amazing history.yet on my previous visit I saw only The Grand Canal, Doges Palace and The Basilica situated on St Marks square. Along with wall to wall tourists.
The History of Venice is as fascinating as it is colorful. Along the way, and far from the hoards of tourists Michael guided me at my own pace through areas that "the foreigners" were allowed to settle, live and trade in. As well as the Churches and Synagogues they pray in. Which included The Germans, The Lucchses, The Jews and The Jewish Ghetto. The Turks. As well as the Armenians, The Dalmatians and The Greeks. So many times I heard and saw things that simply took my breath away. Michael has an incredible knowledge of all things Venice, which he willingly shares. He is one of the very few guides who really exudes the passion he has for Venice, and who happily takes questions along the way. He weaves his own magic which adds to the whole experience.
I personally rated this tour 10/10 which puts it up with the rare few that I could never forget. I am 72, reasonably well traveled and have a minor disability, neither of which were at any time a problem.
For the reader, I have never before felt compelled to write a review good or otherwise. Which I hope gives to you an idea of how great this truly was, for all the senses. I urge all fellow travelers be you solo,family or groups. Do this tour and prepare to be amazed.

Visited June 2014
6 Thank 7242Roger
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Guided Tour Ever”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I got back from Europe a week ago, and at the top of my post-vacation to-do list is writing this review. We went with Michael Broderick on his six-hour Story of a Mercantile Empire tour, divided into two mornings. Michael's knowledge of European (and world) history, and particularly Venetian history, is encyclopedic, and the locales he selects to illustrate his themes are apt. I have a breadth of historical knowledge myself, but Michael far surpasses me and was always able to provide in-depth explanations and connections. We began our tour at the gondola repair yards, where Michael described how the design of the boats is suited to the maritime environment in the lagoon; he used the place to lead into a discussion of the early development of the city. I highly recommend linking up with Michael Broderick anytime you visit Venice; he will enhance your appreciation of this unique city with it's unique history and culture.

3 Thank Marc L
Bristol, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Venice experience with Venicescapes”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our recent visit to Venice was highlighted by two tours, Story of a Mercantile Empire and The Splendors of Piety, conducted by Michael Broderick. Our expectations for these tours was to gain a broad overview of this unique city during our time with Michael. We weren't disappointed. All elements of each itinerary were captured as advertised. The Venetian Renaissance was placed in it's historical perspective with a thorough and detailed presentation of all things Venice, while traversing the nooks and crannies of the city. Don't miss touring with Michael. Highly recommended.
David and Rosa

3 Thank David B
Dfw
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything I hoped for”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I recently returned to Venice, wanting to dig deeper this time. Hiring Michael Broderick for the Splendors of Piety tour was a fantastic choice. He was informative, engaging, and memorable. He makes the art, history, churches and city come alive. If I get to visit Venice again, I will definitely consider another Venicescapes tour.

1 Thank TimnAnnaA