“Great little place to have dinner”
Review of Osteria del Cason

Osteria del Cason
Ranked #1,099 of 1,469 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$20 - US$93
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Polo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Enjoyed a wonderful late night dinner along the canal. Highly recommend this place we stumbled upon by accident.

1  Thank Petra_In_Oregon

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed Venice 4 nights and how lucky we were to find this restaurant. After first night, we loved it so much that we went back on the final night just so that we knew we would get good service. All the servers at the restaurant treated us well and recommended us some of their more popular dishes. Seafood risotto was amazing. Scampi in soar great appetizer. They are well known for their seafood but I also tried their beef dish. It was also very good.
The place looks modern but also casual and inviting.

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We were led to the Osteria by another Trip Advisor reviewer and the review was on the mark. It's in a quiet side canal location with romantic candlelit tables, but the presentation and decor are modder than most. There were cicchetti at the bar including the best single food item on the recent Italy trip: grilled cuttlefish -- to die for. We followed with a seafood crudo plate and grilled scampi which were excellent. I've seen some other reviews questioning the service and understand this can be a personal / personnel experience -- but it took me aback because our service was earnest, engaged and responsive tour questions and orders. The dishes were accompanied by some nice wines (I took two unlabeled bottles of their dry house prosecco home to the US) and overall, both my spouse and I feel this was our best foodie experience in Italy this year. All for less than 100 euro, including the bottles we took home.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We came across this little place while venturing through the street towards our hotel - and I can honestly say we had high hopes. A cute little place that looked inviting. All started reasonably well, until we waited, and waited... for the waiter to come and take our order. He then couldn't find the wines we asked for (until we reminded him of the ones we had ordered). My meal was quite tasty (tagliatelle with mushroom), but my partner's (gnocchi with crab), was half the size of mine even though it was 5 euro more - maybe we were paying for the extra shell that was included (not delightful at all). The sour-faced woman (the owner?) cleared our plates without so much as a hello - and then when we came to pay the bill, she just threw it at us without a word. And it was incorrect (charged us the incorrect amount for the nasty crab dish...!). We would certainly not recommend (perhaps unless you're Italian, as they seemed to get a much better service!)

6  Thank Kerry M
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Cute place, stylish, nice location along a canal. Like most places with outdoor seating, they will haul out a table for you, if there's room. It's way fun being outdoors here. This place is the neighborhood bar for cute, hip young locals. They bring their wine and their cicchetti outside and lean on the wall along the canal, just where the alley comes in, and wait for their friends to pass by. It's really entertaining to watch, and the kids are credits to their parents, so don't think I'm implying anything in the least bit derogatory about their behavior. Anyway, the selection of cicchetti here is really good. Just ask, and the waiter will bring you to the refrigerator case to explain what's what, and how to order, if you're wondering. For a main dish, the whole roasted fish (for 2 or more people) is good. We've had it several times, and mostly it was a bit overcooked by my standards, but about right for Main Street America, and since I'm American I can understand why they'd try to cook for Main Street tastes, but I wish they'd be truer to their own roots. That said, I'd happily order it again. It's well seasoned and the roasted potatoes and gigantic olives are excellent. If you come here, allow plenty of time for dinner. Service is friendly and very charming, but extremely slow.