“Why not ?”

Ente Gondola
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Tour: Venice Gondola Ride Including the...
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Like another reviewer we also booked our gondola ride in conjunction with a tour of the city ( 39 euros each total ). It was excellent value and we enjoyed a 35 minute ride in one of these wonderful boats. Starting from the mooring place in the Grand Canal we were expertly steered along the narrow side canals. Our gondolier did not sing unfortunately but we were treated to a wonderful piece of Opera by a lady who we couldn't see. She was either in one of the nearby gondolas or perhaps in one of the overhanging houses, who knows ? It really made our journey special, her lovely voice was amplified and echoed between the buildings as we slid along.
A word of warning though. Getting on and off these fabulous vessels can be unnerving unless you have perfect balance ! Hold onto anyone who has a hand out to help you, they do wobble about a bit. Once seated however you are quite safe. Enjoy the experience !

1  Thank peaseblossom85
Write a ReviewReviews (2,148)
All reviews
"water taxi"
in 19 reviews
in 458 reviews

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I usually try to stay away from the "tourist traps", and I had considered a gondola ride one of those things - especially considering the cost. When we arrived in Venice, my husband really wanted to take a gondola ride, and in my vacation-induced high, I agreed. I thought it would be an "I told you so" teaching moment, and it was - for him.

We hired the gondolier in a less-traveled area, so we didn't have to wait or fight crowds. The ride was beautiful, and the gondolier, who spoke relatively good English, narrated enough of the tour to let us know what we were seeing, and that landmark's significance, but was quiet enough that my husband and I were able to enjoy the romance of Venice.

It was a breathtaking excursion, and it's one I will actually do again, should we return to Venice.

2  Thank amf1023
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I booked a gondola ride through local venice tours at a great price and value. It was worth all the money around 29€ per person which is a lot cheaper than when you try to take a gondola ride then and there which is around 80€ per person. The gondola ride was fun and full of information, the gondolere explained the history of Venice and the buildings near by while on the ride. Also it is very convenient as you have to show up to the meeting point on time and everything is taken care of, this means you will not getting ripped of, especially as a tourist which is very common. I highly recommend booking a gondola ride through local venice tours, you will not be disappointed.

9  Thank _Michelle_ML56
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My comment: must try in Venice! don't hesitate, the 80 euro for 40 minutes spent is well worth it!

Try to take the gondola from San Marco area or Rialto area so u will passby a more "scenic" place. Of course u can check with them the route before u get on.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife told me that we could not really say that we had truly experienced Venice until we had taken a gondola ride. I had some inkling of how much it was going to cost us and because of this, I must admit that I was not quite as keen to have this experience, as she was.
After careful consideration and taking into account that this, may have been the only time that we ever visited Venice and the notion that my life would not be worth living if we did not do it, I acquiesced and we began shopping around for a ride at a "reasonable" rate. We soon discovered that there appeared to be a common fixed rate of €80 for a 30 - 40 minute ride. This rate did not vary according to the number of passengers. If there were only 2 like us or up to 5 or 6, it makes no difference. By the way, these were the day-time prices. Apparently the rates are higher during the evening. The secret therefore, for the sake of your bank balance is to share with other couples, family members or acquaintances and divide the cost!
We finally accepted the price offered by a gondolier located not far from the Rialto Bridge, on the Grand Canal. His price being like all the others, as stated previously ie. €80 for 30 - 40 minutes ("depending on traffic conditions") We were assisted aboard on to the very nicely decorated gondola, complete with fancy cushions and then we set sail on the voyage into the great unknown. In fact, it consisted of a short trip across the Grand Canal into some "back-street" narrow canals, passing apartment buildings, some other buildings of interest such churches and hotels, assorted water taxis and delivery boats and other gondolas. It was then back across the Grand Canal to our starting point. The duration of the trip was a grand total of 25 minutes. Apparently "the traffic was very light" according to the gondolier. He did provide a running commentary as we went and at one stage he even broke into song and serenaded us. When we moored back at his mooring the gondolier kindly took photos of us with our camera and even insisted on me wearing his gondolier's boater hat for some of the photos. All in all, a unique and fascinating experience. However, I am still not convinced that it was worth €80!
One piece of advice that I would offer from our experience would be that, if you pay for a 30 - 40 minute ride, demand that you get that length of ride - unlike our's which as I have stated, lasted only a mere 25 minutes.

2  Thank BigHugh51