“Fantastic, don't understand the bad reviews”
Review of Dallo Zio

Dallo Zio
Ranked #1,232 of 1,469 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Bangladeshi
Neighbourhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Neighbourhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We came across this restaurant on one of our many trips to Venice in May last year. We were greeted by an extremely friendly gentleman named Luca, and were looked after by a waiter called Jurgen. Both were really friendly, attentive and helpful. We had lunch and enjoyed it a lot, so much so that we decided to go back for dinner that night. The service was exactly the same and the food just as good. We assured Luca when we next came to Venice we would visit again.

In October we returned to Venice and were very much looking forward to visiting this restaurant. Luca was not there but Jurgen was and we were welcomed back and treated wonderfully well by him and a another waiter named Sami. We ate here at least 3 times, and every time it was fantastic. We had an amazing dish of lobster, mussels, clams, prawns, squid and spaghetti, all cooked beautifully, as well as an amazing fresh porcini risotto. We cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, and really are surprised by the bad reviews, I am just hoping the bad ones are for a different restaurant in the piazza as we never had a bad meal here. We will most definitely be returning here when we go back to Venice this year!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The food was mediocre at best, the server kept on pushing us to order more wine, water, etc. the bread was cheap and slightly stale. There was one one kind of wine available of each kind! Like one Cabernet, one chianti, etc. The price was outrageous - about 20 euros - for the crappy wine they served. Probably could be bought for 2 euros in a market. At ant rate, the temperature of the bottle was in excess of 80 degrees. All the other diners were foreign tourists, which probably included some who were not knowledgable, or some wouldn't know or bother to complain, etc. The business strategy probably is to get people in there who are tourists, and will leaving town in a day or two anyway, before they can tell others how lousy this place is. For the cost of dining here, you can get a far, far better meal elsewhere. Regarding one reviewer describing how the staff made disparaging and racist remarks, this would be consistent with the attitude our dining experience included. If I was with my wife and no on else, I would have sent the wine back, and probably left and ate elsewhere.

1  Thank David B
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were greated by a friendly waiter who explained the menu giorno to us. We thought it would be good value- 2 courses for 10.50 EUR as we had seen similar offers in more touristy areas for up to 16 EUR. We really enjoyed our starters. I had the seafood spaghetti which was deilicious. However, I was utterly shocked by the second course. The breaded chicken that I had ordered looked and tasted as if it was from a supermarket packet- nothing like chicken. It was accompanied by a bland salad. My family ordered their food with french fries which also tasted like they were oven chips from a packet- disgusting. This poor quality of food really ruined our experience, especially after the nice starters. I do appreciate the fact that no service is charged or tip expected- but this is probably offset the the fact that the cover charge is 2.50 EUR per person.

1  Thank MadaTamberl
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Da Zio Campo Margherita Dorsoduro 3053/a 30122 Venice Italy, 041 241 0008
This is a lovely restaurant with good food and a delightful staff of brothers and cousins whose good cheer makes the food taste better. And my waiter had a special desert made for me with extra chocolate. Can’t forget that!!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Had the same experience - waiter is standing next to the menu talking it up and bringing people in. Food was actually not bad, but then I got the bill for my fish - 58 Euros.
Wish I had read these reviews first, but actually the name is nowhere to be seen on the restaurant. Thanks to the reviewer who posted the menu picture, I know this is the same place, right next to Orange.
Recommend you avoid, but if you go, only order items with set prices on the menu - no daily specials!

2  Thank OnlyNameNotTaken