“Feeling Humbled...”
Review of Aman Venice

Aman Venice
Ranked #92 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We came to Venice with low expectations. It turned out that the city itself was indeed what we imagined - so touristy it was almost like Disneyland. However, Aman Canal Grande is such a gem that even Venice feels unworthy of it. Every morning, when we woke up, we felt so grateful to have the opportunity to stay here, and feel, without making this sound too dramatic, humbled by the experience.

Words can't describe its beauty; hope pictures tell a better story. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Room Tip: Stayed at the Palazzo Chamber and it was ok. Very large room but no view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JPang
There are newer reviews for Aman Venice

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is Aman at its very best. It has exceeded the high standard of every other Aman I have been. From service to food, from interior to location, everything was flawless. In fact, I have never written any review on tripadvisor before but I tell myself I just have to do it this time to show my appreciation.

Being an Aman in a city, I thought Aman Venice would be less warm and inviting than the other Amans, but I was completely wrong. Meanwhile, I was often too spoiled by the service standard in Asia and I often found services in Europe to be less friendly (sorry, I could be just biased but the Four Seasons in Florence that we stayed during the same trip testified this yet again), but Aman is Aman. Services were personalized and impeccable. Once we made a reservation, everyone who picked up the phone would already recognize who we were even before our arrival. They have quite a diversified team with staff coming from different countries and everyone of them was awesome. I have to say a particular thank you to Francesco at the concierge. He knew the city inside out and he offered great restaurant suggestions. More importantly, he is more than concierge. He helped us on other things as well when other staff were not available. They worked as a team, rather than different departments, to make you feel at home. We would also like to thank the staff at the dining room. We went for dinner when no one was there and the kitchen was closing but they still welcomed us whole-heartedly and did not rush us at all.

Why I say their service is even better than other Amans? Because to be honest in some exotic locations where Aman usually are, the staff were friendly but sometimes not as well trained. Yet at Aman Venice, the staff are so experienced, professional and yet super friendly and helpful. This is hospitality at the highest level.

The interior, furnishings, equipment and accessories were all top notch. Well, this is expected in Aman standard, right? But come to think of it, it must not be easy to create such a perfect harmony between the classic Venetian splendor of the original palazzo and the minimalist aesthetics that Aman is known for. THIS IS ONE VERY UNIQUE AMAN. I watched a documentary video about the restoration work that Aman did to this historic property. They have put so much heart and effort into it that I think the room rates they charge are more than fair. Instead of making more rooms, they left a large part of the original property intact (but restored) including the library, the piano room, the ballroom etc. I felt like I had stepped back in time. Touring the property itself was one of the best things to do in Venice. Furnishings in the room are contemporary. We just had the palazzo chamber which was the lower category but it was still very spacious. The rooms are spotlessly clean.

Now, the food, also amazing and reasonably priced. We tried both Japanese and Italian. We had Japanese dinner on the first night we arrived. Who would have thought I had one of the best sushi in my life in Venice! And on our last night, we were too lazy to go out so we stayed in and went to the Italian restaurant. The dining room must be the most stunning in the city but we were not intimidated by all those chandeliers and mirrors because yet again of the friendly staff who made us feel so at home. This is the typical Aman atmosphere that we are talking about, but you can't find a comparable inteior in another Aman. The Italian food was so good that I can only say we regret not staying in for all of our meals. I am not joking. If you want good food, look no further and just go down to the 2nd floor. We had breakfast every day at their garden where they serve american, italian and thai options. Oh, and make sure you leave some time to enjoy a drink or few at the garden in the late afternoon and indulge in the sweeping view of the grande canal while listening to the gondoliers singing opera. Again, I am not sure if you can find another place in Venice that you can enjoy the grande canal in such privacy. A drink at the rooftop during sunset was very romantic.

As for Venice itself, it's definitely a place that should top the list of "places to go before you die". But it was small and staying for 3 nights were enough for us. We went during the first week of August and we were warned that it would be crowded with tourists. Yet coming from a crowded metropolitan city, that was not a problem for us. We were also told about the "bad smell during summer" but we couldn't smell a thing. It's just some smell of sea, and if that's unbearable then those people will need to avoid beaches and coastal cities as well. We went on a half-day island excursion with the hotel's private boat and I highly recommend it. The boat can take you anywhere you want to go and you can use it as long as you like (charging per hour of course). Concierge arranged a lunch for us at Locando Cipriani and we loved it. I find water taxi to be quite expensive as they can charge EUR70 just for a 10-min drop-off. I think the hotel private boat makes much more sense. But again, Venice is not big and you can walk to most of the places from the hotel's back door unless when you are in your fancy heels for dinner. The hotel is situated next to the landmark rialto so it's very convenient. Last thing about Venice in the summer, make sure you have insect repellent with you at all time. It's surrounded by water, what can you expect?

For those who have been to Venice, you have a reason to return because of this Aman =)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Lotso3
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This Aman has been open around 9 months to a year. It is located on the Grande Canal and the location is perfect for walking to St. Mark's Square or catching a water taxi. It was a grand mansion on the Grande Canal in it's heyday. Luckily it was bought and redone to recover its grandeur and stands now to the test of time. Words cannot express the beautiful renovation done on this exquisite mansion. From the original leather walls in the library to the grand staircase, the dining rooms and the bar lounge, no expense was spared. The rooms are furnished in contemporary works, assuming that one is focused on the original room vs the furniture. The rooms are very specious, modern and offer all the most modern conveniences that one would need. We did not eat at the restaurant as we had reservations elsewhere. The restaurant is offers Japanese fare. The hotel also has an outdoor seating area for drinks and meals overlooking the grand canal. One can step out the back and enter Venice's streets and walk most anywhere. If one needs a special ride to the islands of Morano glass, the Aman Grande Canal offers the best boat in the whole city to tour buy, Worth just riding around in it. Overall, it is very small, quiet and worth the visit.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced onto the grand canal.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patty H
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This we have stayed at three Amans at various locations and the staff has never missed an opportunity to impress us. Their "polish" is impecable. We booked our excursions with their Concierge as well and as always, they arrange the very best. You do pay allot, but they take care of the details so can sit back and enjoy. We stayed in the alcova tiepolo suite which is just shockingly exquisit with authentic venetian antique paintings, flooring and so much more. If you want "Venetian...this is the suite" which is featured I n their brochure. Will try another Aman given the opportunity.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grouptel
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Aman's Canal Grande Resort is a true jewel located in the heart of the crown that is Venice. Aman has restored the Palazzo Papadopoli property, located only a short walk from the Rialto Bridge, to a level of oppulence that is stunning. The entrance to the property is tucked away on a tiny, nearly private, alley and the gates open into a secret garden that is a peaceful refuge from the bustling streets of Venice. The Palazzo overlooks the Grande Canal and you can enjoy the view from a traditional Venetian outdoor balcony. The view at sunset is sublime. Evertyhing else is classic Aman: great service and amenities, personal attention, luxury rooms, and a touch of class. Only the food is variable, but you can find amazing Italian cuisine mere steps away from the Hotel. In the end, though, the memory that lingers long after you leave is the property itself - it is breathtaking. Should you choose to stay here, I advise you set aside some time to spend at the Hotel itself - for us, it was as memorable as any of the other beautful attractions of this great city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BruceR259
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at the World's BEST. Aman Cana Grande is in a league of her own. This 24 suite property in the historical and lovingly restored Papadaopli Palace is the gem of Venice. Her superb and friendly service, glorious resplendent Venetian décor offset by contemporary B&B Italia stylish furnishings... If you are a TRUE luxury seeker, prefer the opulence and intimacy of a grand palace that is likened to a private residence (in fact the Papadapoli family live on the top floor), this hotel is the finest I have stayed at in a very long time. check out my complete pictures of my fine 5th floor room located at the back of the hotel (very quiet). Yes, I am in LOVE..congrats Aman!!! http://cruisecenter.smugmug.com/Travel/Venice-Hotel-Aman-Canal-Grande/42848237_vv5zwD#!i=3379221347&k=JktZvmc

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tombakercruises
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

And you will see it was worth the effort, we had lunch at the "naoki" it was fantastic! Imagine just sitting on the canal but in a private quiet garden it was so peaceful! The food is japan with french influenses i would say the chef is succesful and i recomend you to try to find it!

Stayed: July 2014