“One Week at Ca Angeli”
Review of Ca' Angeli

Ca' Angeli
Ranked #11 of 471 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2012

One week in Venice and was lucky enough to get booked in the b and b. The first two nights we were in a regular room which was very nice and the rest of the stay we were in the Suite with the Grand Canal view. Awesome!
The breakfast room where breakfast was served until ten a.m. was very nice. Every morning we had fresh squeezed orange juice...I did mine myself with the neatest little contraption. And the choices for breakfast were many. There was a cereal bar with a large variety along with dried fruits. There was a pastry bar with croissants and wonderful Italian pastries, biscuits and cookies. There were eggs hard boiled is what my husband enjoyed. And different types of good for you bread for toast. I enjoyed the variety of hams and cheeses. And I also always had fresh melons and grapes. They also had a variety of yogurts which I never did get around to having. The tables are dressed in their white linen and there are coffees, cappacinos, and teas. So needless to say we always made breakfast before we started our visits. The room is bright and has one corner table that is a perfect view of the Grand Canal. We had that one day but let others on other days since we had the view in our room. The other tables you have to sit up straight to see out the windows for the Canal but great views. It is also serving as a library so you can come in and sit and read while watching the Canal traffic.
An extra special touch was on our last morning we were starting our journey home way early and would miss breakfast time so they had a huge bag of croissants, yogurts, biscuits, cookies to take with us on the plane. That was so very thoughtful of them and so very wonderful to have as our journey took us first on the vaporetto, then the bus, then a plane and then another plane and then a van to get home....So much appreciated!
I was worried that we would have trouble finding the place when we first arrived but I printed off the directions on the website and watched a you tube video and we had no problem. After you have walked it a couple of times it is so very easy.
I loved the gated courtyard and when we arrived there were three cats lounging about. It was a pretty place to come back to after your day's outing.
When we first arrived I was very happy to know they had the lift as promised so we did not have to trek up the stairs unless we wanted to....with our backpacks and carryon we took the lift!
We deposited our bags and went out to explore the city until check in time in the afternoon. They stowed our bags for us so no worries....Check in later was easy and they give you this gigantic key so you won't lose it and when you leave you just give it to the person at the desk. They have someone there 24/7. And during the daytime hours was when we would ask for any restaurant tips, or how to get out of Venice using local transportation etc...all very very helpful. We mostly were self sufficient as I had used the restaurant recommendations found on Trip Advisor and with having been there last year wanted to return to a couple but on one of our nights it did rain and we wanted to stay close to the b and b. We were given excellent advice on a restaurant very near and we enjoyed a meal we would never have had otherwise and did not even get wet since they gave us two big umbrellas to use. Very very helpful!
I needed to use my email so had to ask about the free wifi...they helped me get my password and went over and above helping me get all set up. They say they don't guarantee it in the rooms but definitely in the public spaces....I had two rooms during our stay and I can tell you that my wifi worked in both with no problems...so that made it very handy for me--another unexpected plus!
The beds were comfortable with plenty of blankets in the closets, a nice safe in the closet too, and good pillows. The whirlpool tub in the Grand Canal room was fantastic as I love that and the shower was good in there too. In the regular room as in a lot of Europe the shower was a handheld in the bathtub so my hubby really liked the Grand Canal Room not only for the view but for the real shower.
The only negative that gave us any bother at all was what you find all over Venice at the time was the mosquito....and they gave us mosquito repellants to plug in like air fresheners and they also gave us mosquito wipes...I did not use them as I was not really bothered....but my hubby was getting eaten so he did. I attribute the difference to my garlic pills haha! Anyway that is not the b n b's fault it is a reality in Venice. So no complaints just you might want to do the garlic tablets or use the wipes.
It was magical to see the gondolas, the vaporettos, the cargo carrying barges, the ambulanzas, the police etc all right outside your window. I loved watching and listening....
And the location in the San Paolo district right near the Ca Angeli vaporetto stop was perfect. We toured Burano, Murano, St. Mark's Square, The Rialto area we could walk to without even using the vaporetto, The Jewish section, all the shopping including the Hard Rock. We really used the vaporetto the number one line constantly and had paid for the 7 day pass online before we got there so we went everywhere. We also walked around doing usually 4-8 miles a day....So if I were to return to Venice I would definitely see if I could get the Grand Canal room here and if I could not I would see if they had a regular room available to stay at this location and with the wonderful service but no one bothering you. Housekeeping came to our room around 11 and did a good job every day too!

Room Tip: If you can spring for the difference go for the Grand Canal Room. I am not usually extravagant and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Birthday-Gal
There are newer reviews for Ca' Angeli

Reviewed 21 September 2012

my wife and I stayed one night here in order to attend my son's wedding, it was a last minute booking off one of the well known booking websites, we paid 95 euro for the night, and WOW what a lovely little place!!!! we were very lucky to be up graded to room one the 'junior suite', lovely big room and en-suite, windows opened onto the canal, we were allowed to keep the room an extra 2 hours until 12.30 to get ready and they even stored our luggage until late afternoon so we didn't have to drag it around with us, the room, massive double bed, breakfast were all first class, IF we ever come back to Venice then this place will be at the top of our list of hotels/B&Bs (hope someone else we know decides to get married there!!!!!!)

Room Tip: request a suite, otherwise take 'pot luck'
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I am a regular customer from Belgium (I went 3 times to the charming Ca' Angeli in the last year !) and I am puzzled by the two unfair comments from one couple from Essex. I had room 21 twice and it is comfortable, well decorated, clean, quiet and has a beautiful bathroom, with plenty of hot water.
The view from that room is on a small side canal, typically Venitian, but then from the breakfast room, you have the most glorious view on the Grand Canal and its palaces, along with a hearty and varied breakfast.
It's a family run hotel, and owners and staff are friendly and helpful, including the breakfast lady who makes beautiful cappucinos.
The hotel is on the third and fourth floor (with a lift to the third floor) of a Venitian house, with some beautiful antiques and angels ("angeli") everywhere.
I don't understand either the fuss about the place being difficult to find. When you are lucky enough to have any hotel on the Grand Canal, you always have to get in by a side or a back street, unless you come swimming or by boat, but you are given precise information when you book and a map, and anyway, if you are able to read any map, you find it quite easily. I went with friends and I don't remember having lost any of them ! Anyway, Venice is a safe city.
Other advantage : there are no bridges with steps from the San Silvestro vaporetto (boat) stop.
Voilà. I am just looking forward to going back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheTeaRoad
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My friend and I spent 3 nights at the Ca' Angeli at the end of August and I have to say that I'm mystified by the two nasty reviews from Essex Girl and Boy - we thought that this B&B was simply gorgeous. Venice is a stunningly beautiful city, with its own distinctive air of tasteful, faded grandeur, and the Ca' Angeli echos this perfectly. We stayed in Room 1, with its stunning view of the Grand Canal, and spent a long time on our first evening just gazing out of the windows, sipping our complimentary Prosecco, while watching with fascination how the people of this city live on water. Finding the Ca' Angeli wasn't remotely difficult using the map provided - it's on a nice, quiet side-street, but is within quick and easy walking distance of all of Venice's sights. The breakfast buffet was delicious - all very good quality and beautifully presented. There was certainly no lack of hot water in our lovely bathroom, and we thought the staff were utterly charming and extremely helpful. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ca' Angeli and will almost certainly return there.

Room Tip: Do choose Room 1 - it's worth the extra cost for the amazing view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AS&TL
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My views from room 21, from bathroom window - a brick wall !! From bedroom window - A brick wall.

Very rude staff, and not at all helpful. Be aware this is not a complete hotel! Its the top 3 floors of a shared building almost like an apartment block.

Plenty of proper hotels in Venice at a cheaper rate with better value

Room Tip: Book an alternative Hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EssexLoumeister
CAANGELI, Owner at Ca' Angeli, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide two feedbacks.

We are very sorry if your stay with us hasn't been satisfactory but after reading both our last 2 reviews (clearly wrote from persons who stayed in the same room) we believe that things have been underlined with the real purpose to damage us.

First of all, we would like to inform that we are used to treat the same way both guests who pay a discounted last minute room rate and whom who pay more.

1) You booked a Last minute room and you paid 89,00 € (Euros) for the two of you with breakfast included from Booking.com.
If you wanted a room with a better view in Venice and on the Grand Canal, the price would have been higher but we are sure you already know that.
2) The City tax is clearly stated as Not Included on Booking.com. You also stated that you paid it online at the time of the reservation but this doesn't correspond to reality.
At the check out, we also provided you with an official "brochure" from the venetian Government stating why tourists have to pay for it but you refused to read it besides not paying that.
3) We are aware it is hard to reach us especially if guests don't make sure to have all the instructions we always kindly provide via email (we sent you an email 30 minutes after having received your reservation confirmation, complete with instructions on how to reach us and payment informations).

We always accept feedbacks especially the negative onces in order to improve our services but, this time, we would like the other Tripadvisor users to decide whether yours have been constructives or if they’re clearly steered to mislead from the reality.

Thank you again for your contribution.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

After a very long two weeks in the Dolomites mountaineering we though we would finish it off in a lovely Grand Canal Hotel in Venice. Unfortuntaly, the service we was about to receive was not to live up to the reviews as seen on Trip Advisor and Booking.com.
After arriving in Venice at 7pm with maps ready we set off for our hunt to find Ca' Angeli, already knowing that from other reviews to was hard to find. After 2hrs, still no luck so we called the hotel. The receptionist couldnt direct us so we passed the phone over to a local. Even he couldn't understand the directions!!! Eventually at 9.30ish we found it.
Room was very basic and not what I had expected for the original asking cost of £225!! (very glad it was discounted otherwise we would have not stayed there!) Very quiet room.
Bathroom was lovely, very clean and well equipped. Only downside NO HOT WATER! Spoke with reception and said new pump fitted and to leave it on for a couple of minutes but to no avail.
Good location, not far from main attractions etc.
Breakfast room is stunning with good views. Breakfast was good, nothing amazing. Very grumpy woman serving breakfast. Whatever happened to service with a smile?
Checking out: Checked out with Mattel (?) tried to explain no hot water in room but he got up and angrily rushed to room to check for himself!? Came back and guess what, no hot water! He apologised.
Asked for payment in CASH ONLY as we were only staying one night...this was not made aware when booking (we only booked 8hrs before arrival in internet cafe so no access to internet thereafter as were travelling) this really does need to be made clearer before people book. Tried to charge us for Visitor tax however we had already paid it when booked online!
Paid by card eventually and he put the 5 euro tax in himself.... Why cash only? Is it so don't have to put through books?!

Otherwise very lovely hotel, well decorated but will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle J

Thank you for taking the time to provide two feedbacks.

Thank you again for your contribution.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Venice is one of my favourite cities in the world (this was my 4th visit) and this time I wanted to stay in a hotel on the Grand Canal. I wasn't disappointed. Ca' Angeli is in a great location. Our room (#3) had a canal (not Grand Canal) view but that was ok. A Grand Canal view would've been a lot more expensive. The room was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was fine. We were lucky in that the wifi signal was good in our room. As other reviewers have stated, the breakfast is excellent and the views from the breakfast room are excellent. The staff are also very friendly and accommodating. A big thanks to the woman on the reception desk during the day (I apologize for not remembering your name). You made us feel very welcome. I thought the location was also excellent - didn't find it hard to find at all. The map was easy to follow. In fact I liked the fact that the hotel was in a quiet area, down a few lanes etc. I suppose my only niggle are the little signs everywhere that tell guests what not to do. I felt that I was back in school and that this was a detraction from the otherwise elegance of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends