“A Dump”

Locanda Ca' del Console
Ranked #148 of 479 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Don't waste your money - our room had broken air conditioning (as did all the rooms - and it was stifling) plus broken shower, leaking toilet, worst hair dryer in the world, no bathroom vanity unit for storage, weird fridge, broken coffee machine in breakfast area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MyrtleT8

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our first visit to Venice was made extra special by staying in this delightful B & B right on the narrow canals. The rooms were impeccable, charming and quiet. Duarda made us feel so welcome, like family. She spent so much time giving us directions, recommendations and telling us about Venice. The location was fantastic with only minutes to San Marco and the other wonderful sights of Venice. We took a water taxi right to the hotel, but we walked easily to all of the amazing attractions. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary with our 3 teenage kids and this was a wonderful stop on our vacation. We highly recommend Locanda Ca' del Console!!! Thank you

Room Tip: The rooms were so exceptionally quiet and beautifully appointed. We stayed on the 3rd level and our...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dawnhorvat
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After what seemed like an hour of dragging our suitcases up, over, and down innumerable bridges and fighting our way through the dense mobs of fellow tourists, you can't imagine how thrilled we were to finally find the hotel. This was our first trip to Venice and the hotel seemed like a welcoming refuge. I wasn't sure I ever wanted to leave. But we had one more hurdle... our room was the attic. For two young people who pack a la Rick Steves, cramming everything they need into a single backpack, this wouldn't be a problem. But alas, we are a bit more elderly, and had to pack not only for a few days in Venice but a business trip in the north. My vitamins, meds, and knee braces alone take up half the suitcase. Getting to the attic proved to be a challenge. The feeling of triumph when we made it to the top was profound. I was sure I wasn't going to be able to leave. But it all worked out. I managed to scamper up and down the stairs without any permanent damage and my husband found the walk out onto the roof balcony charming. What made the stay so wonderful were the owners and the staff... they were amazing, so helpful and friendly. They made our stay truly memorable. But next time, I'll be sure and reserve a room on one of the main floors. All in all, the bed was very comfortable, the room spotless, the WiFi worked fine, and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Locanda Ca del Console is a small hotel off the beaten path. This hotel has old world charm and service like none other. Just minutes from San Marco and the tourist area but without the noise. Finding our way in was an experience but once inside the hotel the staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful and the room itself was large, comfortable, and an oasis after sightseeing all day. The breakfast was typical Italian with some cereals, and pastries added. We would stay here again when in Venice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I are frequent travelers to Italy and Venice is low on on list (just way too touristy). But our last trip brought us back as a lay over city before our next stop. So we really wanted something off of the main areas on the Grand Canal and away from the Piazza San Marco. Well we found this gem of a B&B and could not have been more pleased! Absolutely stunning and a wonderful bit of Antiquity. Now from the outside you may not think it is much, maybe even a thought of "what did I book" but our walk through a dark corridor, up a flight our stairs and entering through an old doorway into a magnificent, huge palace parlor…. greeted by the most wonderful owners put all of our fears to rest. Our room was large and hung over a canal, very large and furnished with incredible antiques. Large bed with plenty of pillows was so comfortable. The large parlor was used for check in but also the breakfast room. Each morning a wonderful spread of delicious breakfast items was displayed, breads, cheeses, italian sweets, fruit, juice, sparkling water. I've tried to share some pictures to give you you a sense of the property. Be aware they also own a sister property caddy corner to this one . In fact I believe it is the white building you can see from the Balcony picture. It is a nice property but nothing compared to this. I thought I would never return to Venice but just to stay here again we will!

Now we call the location Excellent but for some it will be out of the way. From the Vaporetto stop it was a bit of a walk over several bridges, passing the Emergency Room Hospital, (both my wife and I are volunteer EMTS so we found it amusing to see their "Boat" Ambulances). But once you arrive you are in "The Real Venice"...not the touristo Piazza an Marco. Great little neighborhoods to walk around, wonderful off the beaten path Trattorias, we could not have been happier.

Room Tip: Every Room is a good room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Room Tip: Now we call the location Excellent for some it will be out of the way. My wife and I travel in Italy...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mangebiene
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Locanda Ca del Console is located in a quiet area just a few minutes walk from San Marco and the other more touristy areas of Venice. It was also within close walking distance of the station at Fondamente Nove which allowed for easy access to and from the Airport, Murano, Burano (a must see!!!), and other boat routes.

We were in an attic room overlooking the canal - it was lovely with old-fashioned traditional furnishings but with a modern bathroom. We didn't have any issues with noise since we were on the top floor.

Finding the hotel entrance was an adventure in itself as it was off of a winding side street and made you feel like you were actually living in Venice instead of just passing through.

The breakfast was typical Italian with some modest cereals, yogurts and pastries.

The staff were lovely and very helpful.

I will definitely stay here the next time we visit Venice.

Room Tip: In Venice and other cities, request the top most floor so that you don't have noise from passerb...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple