“Again: Perfect stay, I will return!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bauer Palazzo

Bauer Palazzo
Ranked #71 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Berlin, Germany
“Again: Perfect stay, I will return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed with Bauer Il Palazzo last year during Biennale. This year I returned for a short weekend break and redeemed my free night with Leading Hotels of the World. Check-in was smooth, very warm welcome by receptionist and residence manager, addressed by name and everything was taken care of very professionally.

Location just can't be beat: Directly facing Canal Grande, opposite of Punta della Dogana, St. Mark's Square is just 3 minutes by foot. We arrived very early by private boat and the room wasn't ready yet, so we went to have breakfast at Settimo Cielo on the rooftop which is one of the highlights - panorama-wise and service-wise. Lucia and the whole breakfast team are just amazing.

Since we were not paying anything for our stay, I wasn't expecting anything in terms of a nice view or being upgraded etc. When we returned from breakfast, to my surprise we were offered a beautiful deluxe room with a terrace directly facing the Canal Grande, with a nice marble bathroom, walk in closet, complimentary bottle of water, signature handkerchief of the hotel as a souvenir and a view to die for overlooking the Canal Grande and the whole lagoon. We really felt VIP!

Again, I would like to point out that we received this VIP treatment although we were on a free night. I believe that there are not many hotels in the world that would give you such a treatment, if you're not actually paying for your stay... This illustrates how professional the Bauer Palazzo staff works... I will definitely return for my next stay in Venice. Thank you again for the nice weekend!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with a view!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing our property and for your words of praise which I will share with the members of my Team.

I am very pleased to read that our staff made your feel at home again and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked 4 rooms for a Family get together and had an unforgettable experience. Three of the rooms were on the 3rd floor and one on the 6th floor. My mother, on the 3rd floor, had the room closest to the front of the hotel with a wonderful view of the Grand Canal. The other 2 rooms on the 3rd floor were situated further back and overlooked a small side canal and the building next door. All three rooms were not very spacious but adequate. The room on the 6th floor was much bigger and had a great view of the Campanile in St. Mark's Square and Venetian rooftops. Breakfast is on the 7th floor with a fantastic view and the possibility of sitting outside on the terrace to fully appreciate the marvels of the surrounding area. The reason I am not giving the hotel an excellent rating is because of the bed. I know that in Italy it is common for hotels to put two mattresses together to make a double bed, but this is a luxury hotel. Maybe I have been spoiled by the Marriott beds but a luxury hotel should cater for location, services and comfort. A good night's sleep in a comfortable bed is all part of the experience one expects in a luxury hotel. Said this, I still recommend a stay at the Bauer Il Palazzo, hoping they will invest in good mattresses before my next visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us as this is always the priority for the entire Team.

Regarding the beds, our new mattresses have a padded zipper in the center (which means you can’t feel a thing!) but we also have regular king-size mattresses or mattress toppers (I personally love those!).
Should you come back to Venice and to the Bauers, please let me know what you would like and it will be my pleasure to accommodate your request.

Yours sincerely

Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Bauer Il Palazzo has luxurious rooms and a quite wonderful breakfast terrace but there are one or two aspects which detract from a magnificent experience. First the high points. We had four nights in a de luxe room with a balcony looking out on the Grand Canal and the room was marvellous and beautifully furnished. The literal high point is the terrace on the 7th floor which seems to be the highest such terrace in Venice and has quite wonderful panoramic views encompassing the Campanile, the Grand Canal and especially Santa Maria della Salute. The concierge and other staff were all extremely helpful. Another special feature is the shuttle over to the sister hotel Bauer Palladio on the Giudecca which has delightful gardens and where we plan to stay on a future visit.

What are the detracting aspects? The wonderful terrace of the Bauer Il Palazzo has comfortable and relaxing seating but for some inexplicable reason is only open between 7am and 11am whereas it would be a delightful place to sit and relax later in the day. The hotel itself is part of the bigger Bauer complex in San Marco and does not itself have a bar or ground floor restaurant exclusive to Il Palazzo. The restaurant De Pisis was of very high quality and the tasting menu can be strongly recommended.

Altogether a very special hotel in one of the very best locations in Venice which means one of the best locations in the world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Bauer Il Palazzo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback but also to receive constructive comments which can help us improve our service.
We look forward to your continued patronage of BAUER HOTELs.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

If you are looking for a very nice hotel with personal service and a lovely location in front of the Grand Canal and 5 minutes walking from San Marco Square in Venice the Bauer Il Palazzo is the one. There are another Bauer next to the Palazzo that is Bauer L'Hotel. I have been already on both and they both are good but the Palazzo is better, more exclusive and has a different and personal treatment to its guests. It has a wonderful breakfast on the terrace at 7th floor with an amazing view of Venice. The rooms of the Palazzo are all facing the Grand Canal just in front of La Doane and the famous museum of contemporary art founded by François Pinault the french collector.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank OASette
BauerHotels, Direttore at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, 14 January 2017
thank you for your extensive feedback on your stay at Bauer Palazzo
We highly appreciated your comments and the entire Team is delighted to know that the experience was up to your expectation.
We really look forward to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact us for any futher information.

Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We went to Venice to celebrate my fifteenth birthday and to visit the Venezia Film Festival. We arrived at Aeroporto di Venezia in the morning and then we took a watertaxi to Bauer. We were welcomed by two friendly guys on the private jetty who helped us getting off the boat smoothly. Then already we were blown away by the magnificent views on Venice and her Grand Canal. The location of Il Palazzo couldn't be better to get to know the city.

After checking in, we were brought to our room, which wasn't really big, but well-equiped and clean. The room was lovely designed and had royal allures. The classical Venetian style of the hotel with golden, ancient green en red details created an atmosphere that I liked. Our room was situated in the front of the building so we had a nice balcony with absolutely stunning views on La Basilica della Santa Maria and the Grand Canal, and almost everything that happend on the water. While the warm August-sun was shining, we sat there drinking a glass of Champagne and that was just perfect already.

In the evening we had dinner on the big terrace in front of the hotel. It was already dark but the Grand Canal and the terrace itself were lighted up by some classical lantarns. It was very cosy. I adore italian food; pasta, pizza, fish, mozarella,.. and I didn't had to miss it. The fishsoup, the pasta, the papillot were all delicious. I really enjoyed the meal.

In the morning, I woke up while the sun was shining trough a little gap between the curtains and just like that the nicest morning of my life, until now, began. I got up, opened the curtains and enjoyed the sun for a couple of minutes. After taking a nice shower I took the elevator to the top of the building, where the breakfast was served. Inside there was a buffet and a cosy place to eat but all the activity was outside on the big terrace. The breakfast itself was great, all types of juices, fresh fruits, pancakes (the best I've ever tasted and we're not even in England), all types of bread, toast, cakes,.. but the views you had while eating were even more great. You really have the most amazing and incredible panorama on Venice from this terrace; San Marco, Palazzo Ducale, Lido, Grand Canal,.. . We sat back and relaxed with a glass of pineapple juice and enjoyed the sun for a while.

After breakfast, we visited the imported things in the city, which went very easily because of, I say it again, the great location of the hotel. We were close to everything but we still had some space and rest.
I think this is the most important advantage of Bauer Il Palazzo; it's situated in the middle of Venezia but also directly on the waterside, this means that people are not constantly promenading under your window. You can enjoy the atmosphere and a glass of Italian wine on the terrace in silence and in privat without all the other tourists disturbing you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in front of Il Palazzo, on the waterside.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie D

Southern England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, well appointed and luxuriously comfortable. The concierge reception staff are very attentive and went out of their way to help. The service staff in the Terrace restaurant deserve special praise as they ensured that the day started well, nothing was too much trouble (they were the highlight of our stay). The only problem was with the maid who serviced the room as she was hostile when asked for simple things like providing extra blankets and making sure the bath plug was in place. All other staff were unobtrusive and carried out their functions well. For sheer luxury, this is the hotel for you as the stay is an experience not to be forgotten.

Room Tip: If The Palazzo is full, try the Bauer Palladio across the Grand Canal or more modern Bauer next door...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

What an outstanding place to stay! Our first time in Venice and we were upgraded into a room with a view that was breath-taking! The best service I have had in a hotel EVER! Clean, beautiful, historical, fantastic location, and romantic as anyone could ever ask for! The breakfast (fresh fruit, cheeses, meats, breads, yogart, hot potatoes, eggs, sausage, and more) was outstanding with a terrace for enjoying the gorgeous view. The formal dining restaurant was outrageously expensive but good, not sure it was worth the prices though. The rooms were spacious and decorated with beautiful draperies, marble tile floors, antique furniture, and linen sheets on the beds! Not one detail is missed when providing the best for their patrons in this hotel. The concierge service was impeccable! I cannot say enough about this hotel and would recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple