“Unbeatable View and great service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bauer Palazzo

Bauer Palazzo
Ranked #71 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Gold Coast - Australia
“Unbeatable View and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed in the Bauer Il Palazzo for 2 weeks.

We had a room on the top level with the most amazing view (pics attached)

Breakfast daily on the roof top was a great start to the day watching all the cruise ships coming into dock.

The staff could not be more helpful, rooms are not modern, however they are typical Venetian Style.

There is a complimentary boat at the Bauer to take you to the Bauer Villa F and the Cipriani hotel.

Not a cheap hotel by any means and we paid around EUR850 per night, but it was a trip that i will remember forever.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
BauerHotels, Direttore at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us have your impressions of your visit. In particular, we thank you for your positive remarks and for sharing them.
We look forward to your continued patronage of BAUER IL PALAZZO!
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Bauer Il Palazzo is one of two Bauer hotels in Venice - both housed in the same building. However, the Il Palazzo is predominantly housed in the old palazzo, facing the Grand Canal,while the Bauer L'Hotel is at the back of it looking at a piazza. The hotel is a 5 mins walk from Piazza San Marco. We chose the Il Palazzo because of its location and style (oh, and the fact that it had a gym - a must have for my husband).

We visited Venice in early April 2014. We chose to use the limousine and private water taxi service on arrival at the airport (and on our return) - bookable through the hotel - it is well worth arriving in Venice and at your hotel in this style - magical. The Il Palazzo has its own jetty, so you arrive straight at the front door - perfect. We had a short wait for check-in, but sat in a beautiful library/drawing room. My only comment would be that we weren't offered coffee, or even a glass of prosecco. Nonetheless, the staff were very welcoming and we were soon in our gorgeous room on the sixth floor overlooking the Grand Canal, with a small balcony and stunning views. Our room was set back from the canal, so it looked over the hotel terrace and then the Grand Canal - which is perfect as you don't get all the noise of the waterway!

The room was beautifully appointed and decorated with Venetian fabrics - I believe specially designed for the hotel. The bed was large and comfortable, as were the pillows. As it was my birthday, there was a bottle of prosecco and a card waiting for me - very thoughtful. The bathroom was a good size, although very dark - no external windows, and a sort of dark brown, flecked with gold glass/tiles lined the walls. The toiletries are all natural and made in Venice for the hotel - again, the only complaint would be that there was shampoo, soap and moisturiser, but no conditioner. The towels were changed every day. There was plenty of wardrobe space. All in all, a beautiful room with a stunning view.

Breakfast, for guests at the Il Palazzo, is on the roof terrace - you can choose to eat inside or outside and the view is magnificent - almost 360 degrees. The breakfast is buffet style and the choice is superb, from hams, cheeses, fruit and cereals to cooked breakfasts, pancakes, cakes and pastries. The staff were fabulous and very friendly. We ate one night at the hotel and had a lovely meal, on the terrace overlooking the Grand Canal. The menu was varied, if a little fussy - but the food was good.

The concierge were fantastic and we had several fabulous meals at their recommendation. I highly recommend that you ask them for their advice.

The owner, Francesca Bortolotto Possati, has created a haven in Venice with the Il Palazzo (one of four hotels that the family own in Venice), and is clearly involved on a day to day basis as we saw her several times, and has crowned that with a wonderful and attentive staff.

All in all, a wonderful stay of 5 nights, and we will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a view of the Grand Canal, but is set back in order to avoid the constant noi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tina H
BauerHotels, Direttore at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of BAUER IL PALAZZO.
It was a pleasure for me to read that your experience here was most positive. We appreciate also your constructive comments which will allow us to set the bar even higher.
We look forward to welcoming you again in our little ‘heaven’ in Venice!

Yours sincerely

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed with Bauer Il Palazzo last year during Biennale. This year I returned for a short weekend break and redeemed my free night with Leading Hotels of the World. Check-in was smooth, very warm welcome by receptionist and residence manager, addressed by name and everything was taken care of very professionally.

Location just can't be beat: Directly facing Canal Grande, opposite of Punta della Dogana, St. Mark's Square is just 3 minutes by foot. We arrived very early by private boat and the room wasn't ready yet, so we went to have breakfast at Settimo Cielo on the rooftop which is one of the highlights - panorama-wise and service-wise. Lucia and the whole breakfast team are just amazing.

Since we were not paying anything for our stay, I wasn't expecting anything in terms of a nice view or being upgraded etc. When we returned from breakfast, to my surprise we were offered a beautiful deluxe room with a terrace directly facing the Canal Grande, with a nice marble bathroom, walk in closet, complimentary bottle of water, signature handkerchief of the hotel as a souvenir and a view to die for overlooking the Canal Grande and the whole lagoon. We really felt VIP!

Again, I would like to point out that we received this VIP treatment although we were on a free night. I believe that there are not many hotels in the world that would give you such a treatment, if you're not actually paying for your stay... This illustrates how professional the Bauer Palazzo staff works... I will definitely return for my next stay in Venice. Thank you again for the nice weekend!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with a view!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing our property and for your words of praise which I will share with the members of my Team.

I am very pleased to read that our staff made your feel at home again and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked 4 rooms for a Family get together and had an unforgettable experience. Three of the rooms were on the 3rd floor and one on the 6th floor. My mother, on the 3rd floor, had the room closest to the front of the hotel with a wonderful view of the Grand Canal. The other 2 rooms on the 3rd floor were situated further back and overlooked a small side canal and the building next door. All three rooms were not very spacious but adequate. The room on the 6th floor was much bigger and had a great view of the Campanile in St. Mark's Square and Venetian rooftops. Breakfast is on the 7th floor with a fantastic view and the possibility of sitting outside on the terrace to fully appreciate the marvels of the surrounding area. The reason I am not giving the hotel an excellent rating is because of the bed. I know that in Italy it is common for hotels to put two mattresses together to make a double bed, but this is a luxury hotel. Maybe I have been spoiled by the Marriott beds but a luxury hotel should cater for location, services and comfort. A good night's sleep in a comfortable bed is all part of the experience one expects in a luxury hotel. Said this, I still recommend a stay at the Bauer Il Palazzo, hoping they will invest in good mattresses before my next visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us as this is always the priority for the entire Team.

Regarding the beds, our new mattresses have a padded zipper in the center (which means you can’t feel a thing!) but we also have regular king-size mattresses or mattress toppers (I personally love those!).
Should you come back to Venice and to the Bauers, please let me know what you would like and it will be my pleasure to accommodate your request.

Yours sincerely

Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Bauer Il Palazzo has luxurious rooms and a quite wonderful breakfast terrace but there are one or two aspects which detract from a magnificent experience. First the high points. We had four nights in a de luxe room with a balcony looking out on the Grand Canal and the room was marvellous and beautifully furnished. The literal high point is the terrace on the 7th floor which seems to be the highest such terrace in Venice and has quite wonderful panoramic views encompassing the Campanile, the Grand Canal and especially Santa Maria della Salute. The concierge and other staff were all extremely helpful. Another special feature is the shuttle over to the sister hotel Bauer Palladio on the Giudecca which has delightful gardens and where we plan to stay on a future visit.

What are the detracting aspects? The wonderful terrace of the Bauer Il Palazzo has comfortable and relaxing seating but for some inexplicable reason is only open between 7am and 11am whereas it would be a delightful place to sit and relax later in the day. The hotel itself is part of the bigger Bauer complex in San Marco and does not itself have a bar or ground floor restaurant exclusive to Il Palazzo. The restaurant De Pisis was of very high quality and the tasting menu can be strongly recommended.

Altogether a very special hotel in one of the very best locations in Venice which means one of the best locations in the world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Bauer Il Palazzo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback but also to receive constructive comments which can help us improve our service.
We look forward to your continued patronage of BAUER HOTELs.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

If you are looking for a very nice hotel with personal service and a lovely location in front of the Grand Canal and 5 minutes walking from San Marco Square in Venice the Bauer Il Palazzo is the one. There are another Bauer next to the Palazzo that is Bauer L'Hotel. I have been already on both and they both are good but the Palazzo is better, more exclusive and has a different and personal treatment to its guests. It has a wonderful breakfast on the terrace at 7th floor with an amazing view of Venice. The rooms of the Palazzo are all facing the Grand Canal just in front of La Doane and the famous museum of contemporary art founded by François Pinault the french collector.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank OASette
BauerHotels, Direttore at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, 14 January 2017
thank you for your extensive feedback on your stay at Bauer Palazzo
We highly appreciated your comments and the entire Team is delighted to know that the experience was up to your expectation.
We really look forward to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact us for any futher information.

Best Regards

Stefano Noviello
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We went to Venice to celebrate my fifteenth birthday and to visit the Venezia Film Festival. We arrived at Aeroporto di Venezia in the morning and then we took a watertaxi to Bauer. We were welcomed by two friendly guys on the private jetty who helped us getting off the boat smoothly. Then already we were blown away by the magnificent views on Venice and her Grand Canal. The location of Il Palazzo couldn't be better to get to know the city.

After checking in, we were brought to our room, which wasn't really big, but well-equiped and clean. The room was lovely designed and had royal allures. The classical Venetian style of the hotel with golden, ancient green en red details created an atmosphere that I liked. Our room was situated in the front of the building so we had a nice balcony with absolutely stunning views on La Basilica della Santa Maria and the Grand Canal, and almost everything that happend on the water. While the warm August-sun was shining, we sat there drinking a glass of Champagne and that was just perfect already.

In the evening we had dinner on the big terrace in front of the hotel. It was already dark but the Grand Canal and the terrace itself were lighted up by some classical lantarns. It was very cosy. I adore italian food; pasta, pizza, fish, mozarella,.. and I didn't had to miss it. The fishsoup, the pasta, the papillot were all delicious. I really enjoyed the meal.

In the morning, I woke up while the sun was shining trough a little gap between the curtains and just like that the nicest morning of my life, until now, began. I got up, opened the curtains and enjoyed the sun for a couple of minutes. After taking a nice shower I took the elevator to the top of the building, where the breakfast was served. Inside there was a buffet and a cosy place to eat but all the activity was outside on the big terrace. The breakfast itself was great, all types of juices, fresh fruits, pancakes (the best I've ever tasted and we're not even in England), all types of bread, toast, cakes,.. but the views you had while eating were even more great. You really have the most amazing and incredible panorama on Venice from this terrace; San Marco, Palazzo Ducale, Lido, Grand Canal,.. . We sat back and relaxed with a glass of pineapple juice and enjoyed the sun for a while.

After breakfast, we visited the imported things in the city, which went very easily because of, I say it again, the great location of the hotel. We were close to everything but we still had some space and rest.
I think this is the most important advantage of Bauer Il Palazzo; it's situated in the middle of Venezia but also directly on the waterside, this means that people are not constantly promenading under your window. You can enjoy the atmosphere and a glass of Italian wine on the terrace in silence and in privat without all the other tourists disturbing you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in front of Il Palazzo, on the waterside.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family