“Very poor and dirty hotel”
Review of Hotel Belle Epoque

Hotel Belle Epoque
Ranked #189 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in October. The first impression that greeted us was a rather rude man on reception who we seemed to inconvenience by wanting to check in. When we finally got to our room, first impressions were small, bizarre curtain decor on the walls, but okay for the price. After spending more time in the room we realised a rather unpleasant damp odour, and upon lying on the bed found it also to be damp. The next morning we returned to the aforementioned receptionist to ask why the room smelt damp and the bed appeared to be wet. We were greeted by his first smile and a response of 'this is Venice, everywhere is damp'. We returned to the damp room later in the evening, it smelt considerably worse, and we realised the smell was emanating from the dirty carpet. It was not easy to sleep in this room with the constant attack of what we assumed were mosquitos buzzing around our heads the whole night. We returned home to the UK with many souvenirs of bites. Needless to say, I would not return to this hotel. Ever.

Room Tip: I would suggest choosing a room in another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Emma1977123

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here one night. in room 116. I was pleased enough with it. I loved the location and proximity to all the necessary transportation. The room was big enough, uniquely decorated in a pretty way, the bathroom was small, but nothing to get worked up over. Perhaps my wife would beg to differ but we got by fine. The shower head was broken, but otherwise everything worked fine. I sleep with ear plugs so I didn't hear anything but my wife said it was pretty noisy. People are 100% accurate with the customer service. The old man at the front desk was basically irrelevant and generally rude. The staff were better but still didn't go out of their way to be warm and hospitable. The breakfast was basic but again good enough to get us through to we had lunch somewhere else. If you need a place to stay for a night or two, you should be fine. I wouldn't plan an extended stay here though.

Room Tip: Try to be away from the street side
1  Thank Jesse C
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were shifted to this hotel when the one we booked was overbooked. The room was ornate but the TV didn't work, it wasn't even connected. You had to close the bathroom door or the AC wouldn't work. While I am used to small European bathrooms, this one was very cramped. The hotel was clean and had a decent buffet breakfast. There is a charge to use the WiFi which is only available in the lobby but good luck getting a seat when the tour groups are in.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you don't fancy lugging heavy luggage in and out of water taxis, or over Venetian bridges, the Belle Epoque is an excellent choice. There is a bit of a contrast between the opulence of the lobby and breakfast room, and the small rooms with (at the time of our stay) the smoke alarms neatly removed. However, for the price, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The modern glass lift has a lovely mosaic floor, which in our eyes made up for the fact that the lift did not actually go up to our floor, the 4th. The toilet by the breakfast room has a washbasin with an aquarium in its frame, featuring 2 reasonably sized fish. Some of the staff were helpful.
Wifi was extra, and only available in the lobby. They also charge for maps of Venice

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I spent just one night here before taking a cruise. The lobby was quite spectacular compared to the rest of the hotel as it was somewhat rundown. I arrived quite late and asked the receptionist to recommend a restaurant. He couldn't! Room was small but very fancy but the bathroom was quite basic. I flung back the curtains to see the view and unfortunately opened the window to take a foto. Not a good idea. The view was another wall and the smell was horrendous. At one point the key would not work in the door and it took them nearly half an hour to get it sorted out. Annoying as my time was limited. I was carrying a heavy suitcase and overnite bag so asked how I could get to the cruise port without going over a bridge. I couldn't I was told. So I then asked if I could book a WATER taxi and he said yes and it would cost 68€. A porter came to take my cases round the corner to the railway station!!! No bridge!! Where an obviously unregisted white van was waiting !! He went over the railway tracks, through all the back streets then out of Venice to the mainland and then back again. It was very unnerving and I was quite frightened and very disappointed with the hotel receptionistfor ripping me off. This incidient unfortunately marred my very first stay in Venice. I cannot recommend this hotel at all. Disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Belle Epoque is an older hotel amongst many that provided us with a bed for one night in Venice. The room was beautiful and clean, the bathroom small but usable. The location can't be beat! Just a block from the train station or over the tall bridge and down the street from the bus/parking area at Piazzale Roma. The water taxi stops in front of the train station and will take you anywhere you want to go in Venice! The street where the hotel is located is lined with shops, restaraunts and vendors. The hotel desk clerk recomended a place to eat which was very nice and reasonably priced. The only downside (sort of) was no free internet access, and the only access you could pay for is in the lobby. Venice has a "free" wi fi system that visitors can pay a one time fee for a length of time, then you can use it throughout. Many resteraunts had signs for free wifi. Although it was on a busy street, the room was very quiet and easy to sleep. The AC worked great. Breakfast was included in the price of the room, which was very reasonable for Venice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The hotel has its good points, it is in a great location near the train station. Just walk out and turn left and look for the hotel sign, we winged it and had no issues. The rooms are clean but tiny. And not well maintained, they had masking tape over holes in the tiles in the shower and other areas. Our air conditioner was so loud and gurgly, it was flashing 'change filter'. My husband asked for this to be fixed and was initially told no, but his reaction got them to change the filter the next day, which didn't fix the noise, it sounded like we were in a fish tank! Average hotel, average service n a good location. It was not worth what we paid.