“Excellent room and location let down by the breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Locandiera

La Locandiera
Ranked #217 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Bengaluru, India
“Excellent room and location let down by the breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here from 16th September to 19th September and while the room was fantastic, we were disappointed with the breakfast.

Before check in, we actually spent 45 minutes lugging two heavy suitcases through the streets of Venice looking for the place. I guess it's not the hotel's fault that Venice is an easy place to get lost.

The location is hard to find on google maps. We asked for directions from some locals and they guided us. We had to check in at another hotel, Casa Verardo, which is about 30 seconds walk away from La Locandiera. The check in was smooth and easy. No issues.

After check in, we went to the hotel and went up to our room which was No.32 on the 3rd floor. They have an elevator(thankfully) but it's tiny! Doesnt matter too much though.

The room was elegant and spacious! It was a palace by European standards. The bathroom was quite spacious as well and had a bidet. This is very nice for us Indians.

Breakfast is served on the 3rd floor right outside our room. In spite of this, it never got noisy or uncomfortable for us in our room. It is actually quite convenient. The breakfast was disappointing. A small selection of cold cuts, some cereal, and 1 croissant. I say 1 croissant because everyone is allotted only 1! I had one and when I went to get one more, the waitress told me I couldnt have any more! Apart from the croissant, the only other bread available is some very hard european bread. The hotel should understand that it's guests are from different parts of the world and should have some soft bread too.

That said, the waitress was very sweet. Almost Full marks to her. The next morning, she kept aside 2 croissants for me because she had disappointed me the previous day. My only issue with this lady was that she didnt inform us that Hot Chocolate is available as well. She only offered us Tea/Coffee and when we declined both, she didnt say anything.

On our third morning, her husband, another agreeable Romanian, offered me Hot Chocolate and it was very very good! I felt bad that I didnt know there was Hot chocolate the previous 2 days.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. We were away from all the noise and touristy crowds of Venice. The hotel is in a small square which is super quiet. However, we were hardly 5 minutes away from the Doge's Palace and San Marco Square. I think there is a shorter way to reach San Marco's Square from our hotel, but we took the long route all the time.

Another small issue is that there is no Free Wi-Fi in this hotel. We're paying upwards of 200Euro a night and they cant throw in free Wi-Fi?

I am taking off half a star because of the breakfast and half a star because of the Wi-Fi.

All in all, a lovely hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: The breakfast is served on the 3rd floor just outside the rooms. So, if you want some privacy, ask f...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NikhilBee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Pros:
- Located centrally. Close to everything on San Marco.
- Friendly service
- Staff very fluent in English
- Refrigerator

Cons:
- Very cold in the room
- So noisy I might as well have slept in the hallway.
- Greeted by a spider and a centipede in the room

Overall a decent stay. I just wish I could have slept in longer.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Weatherford, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

This was our second stay at La Locandiera. Even though the owners changed, the hotel was still a very nice place. Location, location, location. Locandiera has it! It's a short walk to San Marco square and other major museums and attractions. It sits in quiet little neighborhood. Hassif was wonderful and patient in helping with the checkout and an early quick breakfast so that we could catch the boat to the airport. Very sweet and helpful professional hotelier. I can't say enough about their hospitality and the assortment for breakfast. Couldn't ask for more. We would stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Like any hotel in Venice, La Locandiera can be a challenge to find initially but it is very easy to orient yourself once you are there. My husband and I stayed there for three nights during our vacation to Italy in July 2012.

La Locandiera is situated just off of a quiet square and is bordered by a small canal, so the hotel feels more secluded than it is. In reality, it is a short walk from Piazza San Marco and other key Venice sights, and there are so many restaurants nearby that it can be difficult to choose!

The guest rooms are bright, clean, and comfortable, and there are very inviting common sitting areas if you want to rest at the hotel but do not necessarily feel like hanging out in your room. Aside from a small bit of noise from the canal, the hotel was very quiet.

The continental breakfast was average with a somewhat limited selection of items, especially for the health conscious and vegetarians, but the coffee was very good and the dining area was lovely.

The hotel staff were professional, courteous, and genuinely friendly. One gentleman, for example, helped us with our luggage and showed us to the front desk even though he was in the middle of doing something else when we arrived. I later saw him help guide a family, including carrying part of its luggage, to the vaporetto dock five minutes away. The other staff we encountered were no less friendly.

Although we stayed here as a couple, this would be a very convenient hotel for families as well. We would gladly stay here again on a future trip to Venice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AroundTheWorld108
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

La Locandiera is ONLY two minutes walk from the San Marcos Plaza, 10 minutes from the Rialto Bridge, and in the middle of the touristic/restaurant area. We stayed four days in this hotel from May 12 to16. The rooms are very large and clean and have high quality furniture, including the beds, great sleep! The rooms are very well insulated, so no noise is coming from outside or from the other rooms. We had air-conditioning, safety box, Wi-Fi, and breakfast included. Do not miss this great place!

Room Tip: A larger screen TV would be nice!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank planetvisitor
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed at La Locandiera with my husband for 5 nights and picked this hotel as it wasn’t ridiculously expensive, as most hotels in Venice are, but it was in a fantastic location being only 2 minutes from St Mark’s Square, a 5-10 minute walk from the Rialto Bridge, a couple of minutes from the water bus stop with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops close by. Despite being close to all the main tourist attractions, the hotel is in a quiet little square which means that there is no noise at all from the crowds. It was fairly easy to find using the map that the hotel sent us. Take the blue line on the Alilaguna water bus from the airport which drops you off at St Zaccaria and then it’s only a couple of minutes walk from there.

The hotel is quite small and only has about 10 rooms so it was very quiet but this suited Venice well as it made our stay very peaceful and quiet, relaxed and romantic. Our room was lovely – big and very clean with an enormous bed – no bath but the powerful shower was perfect for us. We asked for a room overlooking the canal at the back of the hotel which we were given with no problems and it was lovely to look out of our window over the quiet canal in the morning.

Breakfast was a normal Italian style breakfast – cereal, croissants, bread, biscuits, fruit, ham, cheese, yoghurts, juice and a choice of hot drinks. A few rooms were on the same floor as the breakfast room (3rd floor) and I wouldn’t have liked to have been in those rooms as I’m sure the noise from breakfast would have disturbed us.

The staff were very friendly and seemed to do everything from taking our bags to our room, serving breakfast, cleaning the rooms, etc. The hotel offers a free trip to the nearby island Murano to see a glass blowing demonstration which is quite interesting.

Apart from 2 very tiny niggles (the TV had no English channels and I never saw anyone on reception but this wasn’t a problem as its sister hotel was 15 seconds round the corner and was staffed 24/7), I have nothing bad to say about this hotel whatsoever. If I ever returned to Venice I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to all my family and friends as I honestly don’t think you will find any better for the price and location and especially as we had a canal view room that we didn’t have to pay an extortionate price for.

Overall, a wonderful quiet little hotel right in the heart of Venice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a canal view and one that isn't on the 3rd floor which can be noisy from bre...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MrsAylasAdventures
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Great hotel within 10min walk to San Marco square and 5min walk to main water taxi stop. Rooms were very clean and a bit bigger then I had expected. Breakfast was average. I would defiantly recommended staying here if you are looking for a mid range hotel.

• Stayed March 2012