“Overpriced, Bit Untidy”

Ranked #147 of 216 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Zurich, Switzerland
“Overpriced, Bit Untidy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed in this hotel back in July (for 3 nights). Reached there at 7 ish in the evening, friendly receptionist who hardly speaks any English gave me room keys and left. Was able to fig out basic room details with my basic spanish skills. Room was on the 2nd floor and when I reached the room I couldn't find a switch to turn on AC, came to to fig out and found that no one was at the reception.. turns out they have receptionist only during day time ! There was loft in the room full furniture & other stuff (good breeding ground for mosquitoes)..Couldn't sleep the whole night cos of NO aircondition, mosquitoes and CRT TV which didn't work ! In the morning receptionist served breakfast in the room (nothing great bot that just toast,jam,tea,juice etc) and also showed me the switch to turn-on the AC ..Next 2 nights were ok.. but would never consider staying there again, not at least for that price..

Room Tip: Choose a room which doesn't have a loft. Check A/C, TV etc before u check in. Try to reach there...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DilipGem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
:London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Like the title suggests, Al Gallo has some good things and some not so great things going for it. The former is the price, which is very reasonable including free wi-fi & considering it's Venice, second is the location (handy to everywhere, near to the main bus and train stations) and third is Alex, the amiable owner of the place. On arrival the check-in was quick and courteous, and Alex put me up in the double with private bathroom at no extra cost as the single wasn't ready. Fine, I'll live with it :)

So that first night was fine, everything seemed to be in order. I had a decent night's sleep, and the air con is a godsend. The walls are a touch thin, and there were a few scary moments which I thought the bed had bugs in it (I can't be sure to be honest). Things started taking a downhill turn when I stayed in the single room. 1st impression is that the previous occupant took no notice of the no smoking sign, as it fair reeked of it. The worse thing though was the shared bathroom. I'm not usually fussed about sharing bathrooms but it was obvious the cleaners only do a very surface job cleaning it. For the two days I was there there was a lot of hair left behind on every surface, but the kicker was that the shower had a blockage and filled up pretty quick. Suffice to say, in the middle of an Italian summer where you're sweating and feeling generally filthy, the last thing you want to do is bath in other people's water.

I do hope they sort it out quickly, as it's a major thing for people. I feel that Al Gallo could prove to be popular and well deserving of praise if they just sorted one or two problems out.

Room Tip: It's worth to upgrade and get the private bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

When my friend and I booked this hotel we were excited to stay, we had been travelling around Italy on a budget and this looked perfect and cheap while offering a typical venetian setting. However, when we arrived in Venice we were an hour later than we had said and we were met at the train station by a women who did not speak a word of English. We were not told on the phone we would be staying anywhere different or there were any problems, she then took us to a different hotel were we were left with an explanation that our bathroom had mysteriously broken within an hour and we were now expected to stay at this hotel, which was modern, horribly busy, set by the train station and not at all the typical venetian stay we had been hoping for. The women appeared very rude and no apology or discount was offered. We had no choice but to stay there due to the cancellation charge. In my opinion this hotel should not be advertised on trip advisor.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hotel is close to the train and bus station, easily reached on foot. Free internet (something rather rare in Italy's hotels). Not very clean. Great air-conditioning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

For the price I paid I thought this was a very reasonable hotel. It was old but quite charming - despite the pigeon that took up residence outside my window! No canals to be seen from the window unfortunately. I found the staff to be very helpful, though, I didn't really engage with them that much. You do have to renew the wi fi every 6 hours but they were happy to just print out multiple passwords if you needed them. It was also a super quick connection. In a blazing Venice summer the air conditioning was old but did the trick and wasn't too loud. And, just to confirm the other reviews, great location - which is important if you have a big suitcase to carry over all those stepped bridges!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Kentwood, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

This was our first hotel in Venice so we didn't know any better. The room we stayed in was more of like a tree house room. The ceilings were really low and you kind of felt like it was a tree house. The bed was ancient and so was the mattress. That night we both woke up with bed bug bites all over us. The breakfast was a dinner roll with a packet of honey, one cup of coffee, and no re-fills. It didn't stop us from having a good time, but it was a sorry hotel. It has great prices for the location but if you visit the hotel information booth at the train station, they will provide you with better hotels for the same price.

Room Tip: Visit the train station hotel information for the best rates.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple