“Don't get lost!”
Review of Al Gallo

Al Gallo
Ranked #158 of 233 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Al Gallo is a cute place to stay, with a very Italian feel. The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. If you like a substantial breakfast, be warned that it is a bread roll and a glass of juice, coffee or tea. Good to keep you going for an hour or two.
Venice streets are confusing, so take a map!!! It is easiest to ring when you get to Piazzale Roma to let the owner know you have arrived and will be there shortly otherwise you risk being given a lecture.
The owner is a nice man with very good English skills, however it is best to tread lightly around him.
Al Gallo is a good place to stay in Venice if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank ajm1990

Reviewed 27 December 2007

At €99 a night for a long American Thanksgiving weekend in Venice, this hotel was not as bad as the reviews describe but not worthy of recommendation. You must simply be able to do better in terms of both price and a price quality relationship.

Location

It is perhaps a 5 minute walk to the bus station and a ten minute walk to the train station. The hotel stands in a small alleyway by the name of Calle del Formo. The location is not that bad and if you make a left when emerging from the alleyway, and go straight there is a bar with an Internet connection for free. This is a value because the Internet cafes in Venice are expensive and cost €8 per hour. Also down that street is a nice modern looking restaurant that is very reasonable and not over bearing like many of the restaurants run by old bothersome men.

Caution: It floods in Venice during November and early morning sirens will go off around 3 to 4 hours of the flooding. Because the hotel is in an alleyway, it can apparently be hard to get out once the flooding begins.

I never met the son but the old man is a little particular and stuffy. We were very careful to give him no reason to be mad at us. I even shook his hand in the beginning and made sure to learn his name. I was so friendly that he was eager to make our interactions as brief as possible. It should be noted however that his English isn't too shabby.

Accommodations

Our room was on the top floor which was like three flights up narrow staircases. The room itself was small and the TV screen was like 13 inches and had only Italian channels, although MTV had a few English language programs. The bedroom was heated but too heated and so we had to open the window and were feasted on by mosquitoes during the nights. We did not ask him to turn the heat but that is because we wanted to minimize our interactions with him.

Breakfast included a few packaged rolls and jams. The free and unlimited cappuccino was a nice touch, however. Note, the server does not speak much English.

We shared a bathroom but that was no problem, probably because the other room was unoccupied. The shower itself was tight and you had to be careful not to let water spill out over onto the bathroom floor. The water was hot and the water pressure was fine. We drank the tap water. The towels were large enough and clean.

Conclusion

I would not stay here again. I would take my chances with another hotel in Venice. In other words, keep researching.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Robin C
Reviewed 23 February 2006

After being ushered to a private taxi from the parking garage, we found ourselves in Piazza San Marco with all of our bags and a bad internet map. We finally oriented ourselves and found the ally that the hotel entrance is located. Then we met him.....

Yep, the owner's famous father. He began by berating us on how we should have found the hotel. I tried to change the subject by asking him about local restaurants. We never found the one place he recommended. He took quick smoke outside, he was happy to show us to our room. The room was clean and enjoyable.

The morning continental breakfast was individually wrapped rolls and jellies.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank N928J
Reviewed 18 January 2006

Although the hotel is a bit tricky to find, and the rooms have a somewhat cramped feel, overall I really enjoyed my stay and would do it again. The owner was very kind and upgraded the room for free because a better room was available. The included breakfast was simple but good, and the small staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank Katie L
Reviewed 22 November 2005

Although I had booked this hotel over the internet, when I arrived I realized I had made a big mistake, and had been misled. I immediately sought an alternative.

The hotel is really a pensione, and is quite out of the way. It has a huge staircase to climb,no porter, and depressing-looking rooms. The single staffer who was there on my arrival did not speak English. This could be the perfect place for students, but even by Venice standards, the place is overpriced.

One piece of general advice to women traveling alone:
You must have a decent hotel with a concierge.

4  Thank YaacovG
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 13 August 2005

Great spot, it was a little tricky to find, but in Italy the best thing to do is ask a local for directions.
As with any country the best thing to do in Italy is to greet a person in their language especially when looking for some help. A smile and a bon journo or scuza go a long way.
I enjoyed my stay there, and I found the hotel clean and the staff friendly as well as helpful.
The coffee in the morning was done to perfection, a great way to start the day.

Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Leiden
Reviewed 12 August 2005

I was with my wife and children. The hotel conveniently located from the railway station, which is very important for those who visit Venice. The owner is extremely kind and helpful person. We had an excellent time. Especially our children liked the wonderful apartment we were provided. I recommend Al Gallo for anyone going to Venice.

• Stayed: July 2005