Al Gallo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ada(Venice)
Hotel Falier(Venice)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This small hotel is ideally located in Venice. Our room was very spacious, internally facing with TV, sofa, wardrobe, air con and comfy bed. A little noise from the bakery below, easily blocked out by shutters and windows. Clean shared bathroom on landing, didn't have to wait once. Reception staff very helpful and friendly, always leaving Wi-fi vouchers outside room. Connection very good to Wi-fi. Nearest supermarket, left out of our alley, next right, over 2 bridges, into square, go across around towards left. Plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. Easily walkable to all sights. Piazalle Roma is a 5 min walk, train station just near to it. Left out of alley, nearest restaurant sells cheapest Spritz in town, just 2 euros!
A great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were a family of 4 and were booked at Hotel Al Malcanton. However, due to some problems, we were asked to stay at Al Gallo. As we entered, we found a small reception area and a friendly Italian man standing behind the desk. He offered us to take 2 rooms or to take an apartment accommodation. Since we were 4 adults, we opted for the apartment. The apartment was located just next door to the hotel and was on the first floor. Compared to other hotels in Venice and the reviews I have read, we probably stayed like kings. The apartment was around 1800 sq.feet. with 2 bed rooms, a fully equipped kitchen, lobby and we were the only people who were staying. The place is located just 15 min walk from most of the touristy places. Though it's a little difficult to find at first, but one gets used to it. Overall, a typical cosy hotel located in a nook of a street which is very venetian..!

Room Tip: In case you are a group of 4 or more adults, you should opt for the apartment which is fantastic...!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank anubhav_gaur
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I booked 1 night for myself and my wife at Alloggi Al Gallo. But my wife was unable to join me so I travelled alone.

Pros:
- Alloggi Al Gallo is a tipical family run B&B. It is located in an old building in Santa Croce district. Location is good, you are close to everything - 15 min walk to Santa Lucia Railway Station and Piazzale Roma Bus Terminal.
- The room was good, rather big, clean, en-suite.
- It was quiet there. But seems I was the only guest in the hotel )
- Free fast wi-fi.
- Very friendly and nice owners.
- The price was 39 Eu/DBL/night. As for breakfast, I don't know, I left the hotel at 6 am, I had early in the morning train.

Cons:
- No at all.

How to find:
Sometimes it's not easy to find the hotel. If you arrive at Santa Lucia Station and Piazzale Roma bus Terminal, just go along Canale di Santa Maria Maggiore till the end of Fondamenta Tolentini then turn left and continue going along Canale di Santa Maria Maggiore. You will go down the street with many narrow lanes (calle). Usually the name of the lane is indicated on the top of the entrance arch. But the name Calle del Forno is written inside the arch on the left wall. Orientation: when you see Falier Hotel sign, go straight. The second or third arch on the left will be Calle del Forno. Go there, in 30 meters you will see the sign with chicken picture. You are there!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sergeika30
Reviewed 20 May 2013

First off, let me give you the good points about this place. The staff for one thing are really nice. Despite what other reviews have said, we found they spoke pretty good English, one of them very well in fact. Though my wife often spoke to them in Italian as she's pretty fluent. They were very helpful and pleasant to us. Secondly, the rooms, or at least the room we had was large with high ceilings and the bathroom was big as well with everything except a bath. The shower was a good one though the hot water takes a little time to reach it. We have stayed in some places on the continent where the room is barely big enough to swing a cat so the feeling of space was great. Their is a CRT TV up on the wall which I used once just to see what was on but then didn't bother with it after that. We had two quite large windows with net curtains that opened up onto back yards and roof tops. Outside shutters kept the light out at night. Third, upon checking in we were given 6 hours free Wi-Fi and if we used that up, we could just ask for more! (why would you need more?) Having stayed in a 5 Star London Hotel a few days before where they charge £6.00 an Hour (!!!) we found this amazing. The location perhaps isn't the best as it's in the Santa Croce area of Venice with a 15/20 minute walk to either the Accademia or Rialto Bridges, the two closest points to cross the grand canal with another 10 minute walk to get into the cultural centre of the city. We caught the Vaporetto from the airport to the Rialto Stop and walked the rest of the way to avoid changing boats. The station however, is a short walk away. And of course, being away from the centre, it was quieter as well.

Now the down sides. This place isn't strictly a Bed and Breakfast. It was just more of a 'Bed House'. Though they have a coffee machine in the small foyer downstairs which was a godsend every morning and evening. The staff are not there all the time so you have a key to let yourself in and out when the front desk is unmanned. We visited in May when the average temperature was about 20 despite the outbreaks of thunder and heavy rain and we presumed (perhaps we were wrong) that this is why the heating was turned off. Their was a heater in our room but no amount of switching or button pushing could bring it to life. And as is, it seems, usual practice, the double was two singles pushed together with a double sheet and an under-blanket over them. But the beds were not fixed together or secured in any way. Very frustrating if your a couple when that gap starts to open up! And perhaps the one thing that stops this place from getting a 4 from me is that it needs a good deep clean, a coat of paint and some new carpet. The rooms themselves are not too bad and look quite nice, but the stairs and landings etc just need a bit of work. A bit of a makeover could make this place really nice.

In all, we had no real problems and it was a pleasant stay with friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin B
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here in January for 3 nights and had absolutely no troubles whatsoever. We were greeted by a very friendly lady at the front desk, who was very accommodating even though we arrived much earlier than anticipated. It was very easy to find.

The room was no 5 star luxurious pad, but it doesn't claim to be. For the location (which literally is 5 minutes from the Piazzale Roma Bus station) and the price it is superb. It has a quaint and cozy atmosphere and you can walk to just about anywhere in Venice. The room was well heated, cleaned and supplied for the duration, and the shower worked very well. It was however listed as a double and actually consisted of two twins pushed together, but I've seen this before and it was no issue. If you are used to something elaborate and sophisticated then look elsewhere, if you simply want to explore the area and come back to a well maintained, warm and peaceful establishment then the Al Gallo fits the bill.

And one final note, although the lady at the desk spoke no English.... why should she have to?! It makes me laugh when people go abroad and complain when they don't hear English. The whole idea is to be a part of a different culture. I've always found it to be beneficial (and above all, quite simply just polite) to grasp even the basics of the countries' language that I visit. Although we were no good, the lady and gentleman who we both encountered at the Al Gallo were very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple