“Terrible owner”

Al Gallo
Ranked #139 of 219 Speciality Lodging in Venice
“Terrible owner”
Reviewed 25 July 2005

We staid at this hotel which is as such quite ok, however the owner is the most unfriendly and aggressive person who ever served me. I would definately recommend you to take another hotel!!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Al Gallo, responded to this review, 12 August 2005
Dear Guest,

I am the owner of the Hotel and unfortunately I have not the pleasure to meet you and solve your problems in my house.

I want to thank you because even if you have a no good stay to my house you wrote a positive judgements about cleanless and rooms.

Probably the misunderstanding born at arrival, you booked trough Venere 5 nights but you asked to stay just two and you wait to be here to coomunicate us.

I am very sorry for this misunderstanding and also if you leave to Paris without to pay the bill I cash just the nights you stay and no more.

About the minibar was a pleasure for me to offer you the drinks you take.

I am at your disposal for any clarify.

Best regards

Alessandro Basile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 13 July 2005

In reading the other feedback, I would agree with the advice--do not go there if you are from the US. My wife and I weren't even staying at the hotel, but were misdirected down the alley where the hotel was located by a local shopkeeper. As we were walking by, the older gentleman asked us where we were going. When we told him, he started yelling at us for not being able to read a map and then took our map away and refused to give it back to us until he was finshed telling us why we were idiots. Finally, when he gave us back the map, he started following us to the hotel we were supposed to be staying at. Nobody should be treated this way.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Al Gallo, responded to this review, 12 August 2005
Dear Users,

I am really very sorry for what happened to you and I want to excuse for my House and my staff.

I want just to clarify that you don't stay in my hotel, also if you wrote you stayed in July.

You was just looking for another Hotel and you come here believing Al Gallo was the Hotel you booked.

Your Hotel was in Corte del Gallo and the misunderstanding born for this, you believe that we was in overbooking and we offer another room in another Hotel.

We just explained that the Hotel you booked was Hotel Gafaro in "Corte del Gallo" not Hotel Al Gallo.

After this clarify I believe is difficult to give a judgement about Value and Service if you don't stay in my House.

I am at your disposal .

Best regards

Alessandro Basile

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2005

This hotel is about five minutes from the bus station. It is situated in an alleyway. The hotel itself is quite clean if a little small. It is about twenty minutes walk from Rialto bridge which is the central point of the city as it is the main crossing of the Grand Canal. It is a small hotel. I am not sure how many rooms it has. It is a very old building but i think that is not a bad thing. My main gripe is the attitude of the owner. My wife and I arrived late because we decided to get the waterbus from the airport, not realising that that takes the best part of three hours when the road bus gets you there in twenty minutes. Anyway when we phoned the hotel to ask for directions the owner came to meet us.He was very put out that we were late. He was extremely rude to us all the way back to the hotel. How were we to know that he was only waiting for us? The only guests in an otherwise empty hotel. Apart from this the hotel was ok, but this soured our stay in Venice. The breakfast was minimal. If you wanted another cup of coffee you had to pay more. The lady who served it was very nice though. Very friendly and courteous. All in all I dont think we will be staying there again. A word of advice if you are thinking of staying in Venice. Be prepared to do a lot of walking. It is a very easy place to get lost in. And dont got the waterbus from the airport.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank JakTheHat
Ljubljana Slovenia
Reviewed 28 April 2004

I went to venice for a night as a 5th aniversary of mar...
The Al Gallo is just what we wanted small, family owned with plenty of character.
Father was wery kind and the rooms were very clean two main things for us.
Hope to escape there for a weekend soon.

• Stayed April 2004
1 Thank Aleksander L
CA
Reviewed 14 April 2004

I had no problems with the hotel.

We didn't feel welcome at any of the restaurants we visited and I'm sure we were turned away because we were from the US on more than one occassion. I spoke to other travellers and they had the same experience. Don't go, that's my advice.

1 Thank tb5
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 April 2004

If you are seriously considering this hotel please, please read the following. Consider your self warned.

Pros: I stayed at Al Gallo, in one of their loft/flats. The flat itself is gorgeous and very well maintained. The location is very nice as well, with nearby restaurants and shops.

Cons: If you are American, yes, I said American, please note that the father and son who runs the hotel are VERY different people. The older gentleman gave us endless abuse when we showed up at the hotel later then our expected time of arrival. There was a misunderstanding about the time but we were never given the chance to explain....we were just accused of being wrong because we were "from the United States". It did not end there. We asked for more towels (which they charge per towel) the next night and again were given a lecture that Americans are hard to deal with. Not sure how towels relates to this, but somehow he managed to get on this topic again. The son was wonderful to us and was very professional. Please note that this anti-American attitude is only from the older gentlemen. No matter what we said or did, was always regarded as wrong because of where we were from. he made this very clear to us. We believe that the older gentlemen was just upset that we were not there at the time he believed we would be and held it against us our entire stay. I loved Venice and the hotel accomodations are top notch, but will never stay there again. The abuse and offensive behavior from the father is just not worth it. So from my experience: If you are European...no problem. They are very friendly people. Nice hotel. If you are an American citizen: If you have your heart set on this hotel or must stay at this hotel, please follow your hotel iteneriary to the T and avoid any conflict with the older gentlemen (usually he works the afternoon and night shifts). I am obviously being nicer then I have to be because I want this published.....US citizens need to be warned....I have never been so offended and suffered so much abuse and prejudice from any hotel in all the countries that i have been to.

• Stayed April 2004
7 Thank UrbanGem
Reviewed 26 August 2003

I found the Al Gallo hotel staff to be friendly and nice. The studio kitchnette we rented was comfortable and had good facilities. We were told in advance that there was no air conditioning. However, the reasonable price reflected this. Upon arrival we discovered they had provided a fan which was most helpful. I found the hotel conveniently located to main sights in Venice and in an area where there are good local restaurants not the tourist traps in other areas! Father and son who run the hotel were friendly and gave us good advice and tips on restaurants and places to visit. Overall, for the price, very reasonable hotel, comfortable and pleasant stay.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member