“The Place to Stay when I Venice!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo
Ranked #10 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Umea, Sweden
“The Place to Stay when I Venice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great Value, Great Location, Good Breakfast & Excellent Service! When we went to Lido Beach on our last day and didn't have anywhere to store our luggage, they even called one of their friends at a restaurant there to help us out so that we could enjoy the full day at the beach without having to backtrack and loose a lot of hours, that's called going the extra mile for your guests! I wouldn't stay anywhere else

• Stayed August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

A short ferry ride from the train station, a short walk from the ferry stop, entry to this hotel is down a lane that is so narrow you almost need to turn sideways to pass down it.
Our room overlooked the small service canal that runs in front of the hotel, we had a balcony that allowed us to go outside and view the activity below.
The room was a little cramped, but very nicely furnished. We were there for a couple of weeks, and a slightly larger room with a bit more cupboard space or table space would have been good, but we noted that most people only seemed to stay in Venice for two or three days, and for a short stay like this the room size would be quite satisfactory.
But still, we had no complaints. The overall feeling was that we really were experiencing Venice, all of which is slightly cramped.
The service was better than excellent.
The breakfasts were better than excellent.
The location was better than excellent.
The ambience was better than excellent.
The proximity to good restaurants and the ferry service was excellent.
Overall, if I could give this hotel 11 out of 10, I would.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sari-Anne M
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here with a friend for the second last weekend in August, as we're students we didn't have high expectations of the place my cousin was putting us up to visit him, but regardless or price I would gladly come here again on my own dime.

The conseriege was wonderful, and the whole staff is fluent in English, even unaccented weirdly enough- which might be expected in touristy areas but we were just coming from Florence where we had to argue in broken Italian over train tickets. It's a short walk from the Train station, the vapperetto, and the Rialto bridge which was awesome for the sightseeing with family I was doing. Staff was even overly attentive, I wondered if they breathed service from the attention to us they paid even though we wern't nearly as classy as other travellers.

We stayed in room 23 in the annex, which is perfect if you're looking for great decor (green, gold, and pink) with a real Venetians flair as well as just a place to sleep. We didn't spend much time in the hotel because my view of a hotel is it is a place for meals and rest, you shouldn't spend hours there. But there was a comfy place to curl up, as well as two twin beds which were really comfortable. The pillows were super nice, especially after dormitory living for a month. I might have freaked out a bit over the light fixtures, and there are enough the lighting is good for evenings and mornings. I don't mind the lack of natural lighting, after all you're not going to get much of a view anyway because of the tightly packed streets.

Breakfast was good, nice spread of jams, fruit, and pastries- we didn't need any meat and had two cappucinos a piece- though they have earl grey tea so I had that when offered upon arrival.

Also they have maps with the hotel on them, which is a real godsend.

And the bathroom was awesome- you need your own conditioner but the whole thing is very clean, I looked hard but found no dust or yellow spots.

One thing that was odd for me, is that you needed to let them photocopy your passport, which I have never encountered in Europe before. I had a copy on hand, but since we were living in Siena for the month I was keeping the real thing in Siena because I'd been pickpocketed in Florence. So just.... be aware for first time travellers or those unaccosted to this practice.
Felt slightly damp and the door stuck, but it's Venice, a city on the water. And the door is minor really, made me feel safer about my paranoia concerning other patrons thieving my goods :)

Room Tip: If you don't mind lighting than the annex is good, especially for smaller groups. Also you feel...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Islay G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in July. The staff and owners are very accommodating. The room was very clean with good A/C and it is in a safe location. The in-room hair dryer is your standard European-style affair. It is a small property so don't expect room service, a pool, and all the upscale amenities offered by a large chain. It is about a 15 minute walk to the hustle and bustle of Rialto and another 5 to St. Mark's Square. They have a wonderful included breakfast that was above and beyond your basic continential-style meal; alot of the pastries were baked on-site. You will not be disappointed with the rooms or service. Muro San Stae is very good restaurant within 5 minutes of the hotel that I recommend.

Room Tip: Room 3 is directly across from the tiny kitchen; smells wonderful, but late sleepers may prefer some...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in this charming hotel for three glorious nights in Venice. The hotel was lovely. It was located in a quiet area of Venice and yet it was very close to most activities. The room was a good size and the bathroom was lavish. I especially enjoyed soaking in the huge bathtub after long walks in Venice. The furnishings were elegant and very Venetian. Breakfast in the courtyard was very special and the servers were very gracious. Concierge was extremely helpful with activities. This lovely hotel was an oasis in a crowded, crazy and amazing city called Venice!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gojojogo
Bayside, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights this past July as the first stop on our multi-city Italy tour. We chose this hotel based on the great Trip Advisor reviews.

First note about the hotel - super convenient with baggage! It is a short 2 min walk from the Vaparetto stop.

The hotel is located in a quiet area of Venice which does not feel touristy (which in Venice is hard to imagine since when we went there were tourists everywhere). It is about 10 minutes from the Rialto bridge, and about 20 from St. Marks. The neighborhood is great, with excellent restaurants and great wine bars that cater to a mostly local crowd.

We stayed in two different rooms at this hotel because we added a date to our itinerary after booking, and our first room was no longer available. But the hotel was very helpful and moved all our bags for us on the day we had to switch rooms.

Our first room was in the main part of the hotel - this is where you want to be when requesting a booking as they also have an "annex" which is in a separate building behind the main hotel. The room was small, as expected, but clean and decorated in a rich red decor. The bathroom was big with a full tub and shower. We had a king size bed (which felt like two twins pushed together). The one thing lacking in the room was natural light - but this might be a common theme with the way the hotels and streets are so tight and narrow. The only complaint about the room my wife and I had were how uncomfortable the pillows were. This may not bother some and is a minor annoyance when looking at the whole picture.

The breakfast was one of our favorites over the course of our three week trip! A continental breakfast with choices of pastries, quiches, deli meats, etc. The breakfast area was in an outside courtyard or right off the main entrance. I had a Cappuccino every morning and they were delicious.

Our last night was in the annex and it was just okay. Definitely feel very removed and isolated when staying in that part of the hotel. But the rooms were clean as well.

One last note - if WiFi is something of importance to you, this hotel had the weakest signal during our whole trip.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi signal is weak Better to stay in the main hotel if possible, but annex is not terrible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Garett P
Avon Ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We had a family room for four in main building which worked perfectly with a very modern bath that pleased my daughters. Location in San Stae is a bit off beaten path but manageable with practice at night through tiny alleyways. Breakfast in courtyard is very special. Concierge very helpful with activities. Overall a wonderful place and good value for a family.

• Stayed August 2014