“Lovely hotel and close to San Marco”
Review of Locanda Cavanella

Locanda Cavanella
Ranked #229 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Very close to San Marco's square, and the hotel staff were absolutely a delight to deal with and were very helpful, I especially thank the gentelman who waited for us at a location which was easy to reach from the boat station even though we arrived late that night, since in Venice it could be a nightmare to reach some hotels. The room and bathroom were nice and clean and the bed was reasonably comfortable, and they have a nice coffee machine at breakfast.
The amount paid for the room I think is a little high concidering this time of the year, and there supposed to be a central AC unit but I dont think it was running even though the weather was a bit warm during the day, but thats ok. Also, the bread selection and cheese at breakfast can be better.
I do recommend this hotel and I would not mind staying there again.

Room Tip: remember to call the hotel if you are arriving late since the reception closes at around 22:00 hrs.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We were happy with the room and the location. They now offer to bring breakfast to your room if you feel crowded in the breakfast room which I thought was a nice touch. The owner is only there part of the time so if you want someone there to ask questions- make sure you catch her when you see her.
The room was clean, had a fan - no air conditioning and a nice bathroom. Most of the luxuries you would see in nicer hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This Locanda is located 5 min away from St Mark Square which makes it a good option to stay. However,since it is a small place, there is no 24 hr Reception desk. Nevertheless the site is very comfortable, clean and wide (if you take european room standards). We have a very good stay and it is a very good option.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Locanda Cavanella is in a quiet but very convenient location fir all the sights of Venice. The owner Esther is very helpful and efficient and the morning breakfast is helpful to the budget (although the breakfast room is ridiculously small and serving breakfast only from 8 not useful for tourists who want to get out there early). My one big warning with this place though is that if, as I did, you book a quad room do not expect to get two double beds or even a double and two full singles- instead what you get is a double and two roll-aways not acceptable at all for €220 per night I felt.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at Locanda Cavanella for two nights over the New Year period. At first we were a bit worried about finding it, and then seeing that it was down a back alley (not hard to find at all after looking it up on google maps) were not sure what we in for. However, we found the room to be very clean, and the service to also be very good. It felt more like a bed and breakfast as there were only about 5 rooms in the hotel upstairs from the front desk. We were given a key to the front door and left to our own devices. Breakfast was fairly basic, but the staff were very friendly. More importantly the location is fantastic. There are numerous high quality, and reasonably priced restaurants within 5 minutes walk in almost all directions. It is also an easy walk from San Marco where we got the water bus from and to the train station and airport, respectively. From our research I think you would struggle to find a better place for the same price unless you opted to stay on the mainland in Mestre and travel in each day. The only downside was that there was a bit of noise outside sometimes in the morning, and the people in the room next door were a bit noisy at times, and the walls were a bit thin. However, I would not hesitate to recommend this as a good option within Venice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Locanda Cavanella is about 5 min from the San Marco water taxi stop. The location in regards to the tourist sightseeing is amazing! We had a quadruple room which was very spacious. The owners were nice and helpful. The breakfast was a buffet- ham, cheese, yogurt, bread, cereals, etc. which was very good. They also make you cappuccinos, lattes, etc. The breakfast area is not very large though, so depending on how many people are staying at the hotel, you might have to wait for a table to sit at to eat. It is a little pricey though (we went during high season), but I am not sure what it compares to other hotels. We booked it on www.booking.com and paid 315 Euros for two nights (for 4 people, with breakfast and private bath).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank gabz323
Reviewed 9 February 2007

I had reserved 1 night at Casa Cavanella in Venice on the 28/01/07, that was booked through LateRooms.com. However my hotel confirmation does not state that check in is NOT at Casa Cavanella itself but at Hotel Al Leon - this is only written in Italian (although the rest of the confirmation is in English and I cannot read Italian) - this made it extremely frustrating when I turned up at Casa Cavanella just after 12:30pm at night (the map provided on LateRooms.com is simply too general considering the maze of alleyways in Venice, and even the 5 locals we approached, including a policeman, had never heard of the street Calle Cavanella) to find a notice on the front door with a poorly drawn map indicating directions to Hotel Al Leon. I tried to contact Casa Cavanella twice on the phone number provided around 11pm at 0412770393 but the calls went unanswered. As it had already taken me 1.5 hours to locate Casa Cavanella , I was not prepared to try to find Hotel Al Leon as well in the middle of the night. Therefore I ended up having to pay for another room at nearby Hotel Ca' Del Campo but so much more worth it as reception was open 24 hours and staff was extremely professional and helpful. My advice for potential guests is to get a detailed map and directions from the hotel showing every little alleyway and also directions on how to get to Hotel Al Leon for check in!

Stayed: January 2007