“Away from the Maddening Crowd”
Review of Ca' San Rocco

Ca' San Rocco
Ranked #136 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Away from the Maddening Crowd”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

A peaceful oasis. One of the two hotels we stayed at that was NOT in Rick Steves book but should have been. BIG room and bathroom. Sparkling clean. Beautiful garden view from our room as well as breakfast area. Speaking of breakfast....I just started to salivate, sorry. All their pastries are fresh, made on premises. In fact when we got in late at night you could smell them baking. Different assortment each day, but the croissants were a staple.Don't worry about no elevator. We were on the top floor and Irena (I think) carried our suitcases up and then again down when we checked out. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: From another traveler's post, we looked into taking the closer San Toma stop on the vaporetto...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TNTraveler952

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
CT
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I booked months in advance & wanted to change by one day. I was told the room I had booked was sold out that 1 day & was offered an "upgrade" to an apt in the hotel building supposedly with the same amenities. Untrue.

Lack of security
The apt is outside the locked gates of the hotel on the ground level. To add to the lack of security, there is no safe in the apartment.

No access to the outdoor areas.
When I asked for a key to the front gate, I was told that was only for guests in the building.

Mildew
The apartment reeks of mildew. The sheets are damp. It is a nightmare if you have allergies (which I do).

Ants
Ugh!!!!

Unresponsive staff
When I asked for another room I was told that I was given an upgrade. I pointed out all the issues above and said I would never have agreed if I had been told all the details. I was then shown the email I got months earlier and pointed out that it said I would have all the same services. At that point I was told that someone else made the room change.

The hotel gets great reviews. If you get offered an "upgrade" to an apt, do not make the same mistake that I did -- turn it down!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CaSanRocco, Proprietario at Ca' San Rocco, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Madam,

I greatly respect your comment and I thank you for your post, allowing me to give you once more a comprehensible explanation of the highlighted situation.

I have retrieved the data related to your reservation and wish to confirm that the apartment assigned was indeed un upgrade from a standard double room that was not more available for your new period of stay.

We liked to offer it at the same price of a standard double room though it is of 45 square meters and it has a full kitchen you can use, and we offered it with the same service and amenities, that means with free wi-fi, breakfast and daily cleaning included. So you had an “hotel treatment” staying in our largest apartment situated in the same building but with a private entrance (of which you were aware of ) but paying for a standard double room.

For the lack of safe we offered the use of the reception safe, and the apartment has a main door with two locks you can close, although it is not necessary since Venice is not a dangerous city at all.

For the access to the outdoor areas we first reply that reception is open all day and you could come whenever you liked, just ringing the bell and we would have let you enter, the second day I gave you a key of the gate so your request has been fully satisfied.

For what concerns the mildew, the apartment has been fully renovated and it is impossible that you’ve found mildew in it, in any case we’ve done everything we could in order to satisfy your complaint and improve your stay I am also sorry to read that you felt the staff unresponsive which most of our guests seem to appreciate.

But more than everything else I’m sorry you decided to write this review on TripAdvisor on the day you arrived (you are still here at the moment) and not at least the day after when we were able to rectify all your negative feelings.

We are confident that you’ve revised the opinion related to your stay at Ca’ San Rocco as you confirmed to me before your check-out.

Best regards,

Valentina Cuogo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We arrived at the rail station and walked to the Hotel in approx 10 mins following the directions we had been e-mailed. The hotel is down a narrow street just off one of the main tourist routes. Got tot Ca San Rocco at lunch time, where we were given the room keys straight away. The room was a good size and spotlessly clean with a comfortable double bed, TV (Italian only), Free WIFI, Free safe, Mini Bar and modern bathroom. In the morning we enjoyed our breakfast in the sunshine on the 1st floor terrace which overlooks a neighboring garden. We bought a 72 hour Vapereto ticket to travel round the city, the nearest stops were Plazza Roma (bus station), Ferrovia (rail station) and S Toma (Grand canal) all were an easy 10 mins walk away . All the sights were walkable also, though we did get lost a couple of times, too many churches and canals looked the same!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank YorkTalk
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

This small family run hotel is very clean, the rooms are big and everything is well maintained. Breakfast on the terrace in summer was great. Central location to train/bus station. And as your in Venice everything is within walking distance. Just pack lightly as no elevator and spiral staircase may be a challenge if you do too much shopping. Great Stay. Would definitely return

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prinrin
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Our stay in Ca San Rocco was great. We walked from the train station (20 minutes) with a map on hand. The place was very clean, room was big and the the AC worked very well in the hot summer days. Breakfast was good and it was serve in the terrace. One thing that I love about this place is the location because it is situate in a small quiet street among locals.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Facundo418
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is a great Hotel inside the old city of Venice, where you can walk to the Grand Canal discovering lots of little stores and restaurants along the way. The room was very clean and surprisingly big, with a nice ensuite, Breakfast is served on the hotel terrace\balcony such a really relaxing spot and a great start to the day. The staff were really friendly and helpful with directions.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Its a small hotel very close to the train station. Though it doesn't face the canal and it is in one of the lanes the hotel is very well located. The only disadvantage with the hotel is it doesn't have any elevator and the staircase is spiral so it gets difficult to move the luggage. The rooms are of decent size and have basic amenities. The reception was exceptionally helpful and spoke good English. The breakfast didn't have a large spread but was decent. The tourist attractions were also walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple