“Hidden gem”

Ranked #80 of 458 Venice B&B and Inns
Norway
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We spent 5 days at Domus Ciliota in October. A wonderful place in the heart of Venice. 5 min walk from Accademia to the hotel. Many good restaurants nearby.The breakfast was simple,but ok. Great with fresh fruit. The room was nice,but no luxus.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Siv B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just spent a few days at the Domus Ciliota during a week-long trip to Europe. First of all I have to say Venice is one of my favorite vacation locations. The city is so unique and I find it to be magical and very special. A great place to wander and just get lost.

The Pros: This hotel is in a great location and very convenient to most of what you'll want to see in Venice. It is right between two water bus (vaporetto) stops; San Angelo and Accademia. It is located on a nice quiet side "street" and around the corner from the Campo Santo Stefano plaza.

I also found the staff to be very helpful. My room, while pretty plain and basic, was not as small as what I expected in Venice and actually comfortable. The bathroom was small but not at all inconvenient and actually larger than what I found in the other hotels during my trip in Austria and Germany.

The Cons: The breakfast was not very good with very little variety. Part of my curtain fell off the wall when I tried to look out the window. And the room seemed to very hot even though it was October and really nice outside. I slept with the window open the first night and was absolutely eaten alive by mosquitos. My face actually was swollen in the morning from all the bites so keep that in mind if you long for fresh air overnight.

The wifi internet did not work at all in the room and seemed to only be available in the lobby.

Overall I was pleased with my stay at the Domus Ciliota but would probably look around for other options if my travels take me back to Venice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Mike C
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We were attached by lot of mosquitos the 1st night because the cleaning lady did not closed the window, there might be at least 20 Mosquitos. We had a bad sleep on the 1st night. The 2nd night there were still a couple of Mosquitos left. The breakfast was very simple, not much of choices, but this is Venizia. If you walk outside to the piazza, there are lot of delicious sandwiches in café there. The free wifi in this hotel is great. Be sure you have a room close to the reception part in the building, we had a room on 3rd floor, the signal were very strong.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank AiloveItaly
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here for one night in September. While we appreciate that Venice is expensive, I felt really unhappy parting with 160 euros for this accommodation. We had booked on Booking.com a few days before (which probably didn't help with the lack of choice we had or the price we paid). We overheard the receptionist saying to another guest that they charge more for that service which is fairly disappointing. The receptionist was friendly enough but we were completely underwhelmed by the rooms - initially we thought someone had been smoking in our room and asked to move as it smelt but they wouldn't assist us and they didn't say they were booked out so I suspect it was a lack of willingness on her part. We later decided it might have been a damp smell as it was definitely coming from the bathroom which had some mould on the base and walls of the shower tiles. The rooms were quite plain as some of the others have reported but to be honest that didn't really worry us. The uncomfortable bed and pillows did though! The breakfast was good though and the courtyard very pleasant - just not enough to offset my feeling of being ripped off! I quite like the Accademia area though which is far enough away from San Marco that you aren't overrun with people but close enough that it is easily reached by walking about 10 minutes. I would look elsewhere for somewhere to stay though and not leave it until the 11th hour as we did!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martha-Rose-Smith
Kingaroy, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at this motel inVenice during a very hot summer. Our room was very small and really felt like student college accommodation with a bed, cupboards above the bed for clothes, a desk and chair along the length of one wall and just enough room to pass from one side of the room to the other. THere was very little space for our bags or anything else. The bathroom was also very small with little ventilation. Unfortunately, we could not even rely on our motel room to help us escape the extreme heat from outside as the air conditioning was either non existent or not working very well. The motel was located in the Academia area which was a reasonable walk from many of the major tourist attractions. If arriving by train and getting the ferry, do not get off at Academia as we learnt from their website as you will have to go over one of the largest bridges over the Grand Canal which is extremely painful if you have a lot of luggage. Instead go to San Samuel and it is a very short walk from there. Breakfast was ordinary but there was a lovely outdoor courtyard to eat it in. Staff were generally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days last Aug. It's a former convent with an attached chapel for meetings. Nice interior courtyard for breakfast. Feels like a bit dorm like in furnishing unlike a normal hotel. (def. not a dorm) I have not stayed in other Venice hotels so I have no comparison. The location is great. Our double room ended up being an extra bed in a hall area, but we didn't need that anyway.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Wisbech
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed for 2 days as part of a driving tour of Italy with 2 nephews. The hotel is well situated if difficult to find on a first visit. It is clean and tidy and the rooms are adequate with fairly comfortable mattresses. TV is all foreign with just a couple of news channels. Wifi is good but patchy. Breakfast uninspired and some of the cereals tasted a bit stale. Only one type of milk as usual. No hot items. The staff were very polite and well informed.

Room Tip: Make sure you get some kind of view - we had a scruffy wall about 5 feet away and wifi is ok close t...