“Nice stay at Guerrato”
Review of Pensione Guerrato

Pensione Guerrato
Ranked #136 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed three nights at the pensione guerrato, based on information in the travel guides and on tripadvisor. Overall it was nice, room was basic but comfortable, breakfast was adequate (cereal, yoghurt, and croissant), and location was very central to all things Venice and airport water taxi and public water bus, vaporetti.

Getting there

We exited the airport and took a left and walked to the water taxi area, 7-10 mins, we took the Alilaguna (25 euro return each) to our closest stop 3mins away from the hotel, I would highly recommend this option if it is your first visit to Venice, the experience is amazing. Takes about 45 mins to an hour depending on your stop. We did not get the private taxis, as more expensive, but perhaps you can negotiate (a little) as most get the airport boat. You can get a bus and then a public water taxi, but this seemed less hassle with bags etc.. Don't buy your alilaguna tickets in the airport as the machines are confusing and so there are a bunch of confused people taking ages to buy them, buy online if you can or you can get them at the collection point before you get on the boat. Get off the boat at your Rialto stop take a left and cross the Rialto bridge, keep walking straight past the souvenir stalls and it is in a laneway on right hand side.

Location

Situated a 2 min walk from the Rialto bridge, far enough from it, for it to be relatively quiet, it is within easy reach of most attractions in Venice, although if you are staying in Venice most things are within a 5-15min walk. There is a square beside the hotel that becomes partly central at night time at he weekend, one night in particular it was full of 18-25 year olds, all having fun but they do cause a lot of noise for those sensitive to it, but hey we were all like that once! Or maybe still are!
One of the best tapas restaurants is about 2 mins away from the hotel and we found a cool little bar with a piano on the square next to the hotel, he was playing old school dance music after about 11 on e piano in a kind of euro trash way, very cool listening to indeep, last night a dj saved my life in this bar, with tapas and wine. Otherwise there are lefty of cool little wine bars and tapas joints and restaurants to find. Eat tapas standing as its cheaper, or if you are knackered from walking like we were take a seat knowing it will cost more.

Hotel

Room was large, clean and comfortable, bathroom was adequate. We had a room on the ground floor by reception, avoid this room as there is a bathroom beside it and it's users slamming its doors and having full blown conversations outside it at 7 in the morning do not equal an easy mornings sleep, this only affected us one morning. But a little annoying. We could also hear the kids having a ball around the corner until late at night as it faces the street leading to it. Staff were very welcoming and pleasant could not fault them at all. Breakfast was a simple affair and enough of what you need to get you started in the morning.

Venice

Beautiful, beautiful, incredibly beautiful. The only fault is it is expensive, can smell of sewage every now and then, and because it is so beautiful, it is jammed with tourists. Otherwise take a walk in all kinds of different directions and look at the map only sparingly. We wandered around for ages once we saw the main highlights and it was great to get away from the crowds and wander side streets and canal walkways.

Tips

Book the tourist tickets (veniceconnected.com) at least a week before you come to save money if you intend to see all the major sights, any later and it costs more. The public water bus route one is good to see Venice from the water otherwise walk everywhere, you see and experience more. If you can, get up early to see the sights before the crowds and cruise ships, or stroll around late at night. Check the weather and be prepared for some flooding in some areas. Drink plenty of wine, eat plenty of food and get chatting!

Room Tip: Do not take the room next to reception if there is another available.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Tony C

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my second stay at Pensione Guerrato. And if I am lucky enough to travel again to Italy I shall definitely return there for the Venice portion of the trip. Because it has all the important things conducive to a good vacation stay, and at reasonable rates.

First, location. Quite perfect: steps from the Rialto Bridge with its shops and several Grand Canal vaporetto stops (including one making getting to or from the train station a breeze), easy walking distance to San Marco - or, heading off in virtually any other direction from the Guerrato - to many other sights, close to both the delightful vegetable/fruit market and, a couple of blocks farther away,Venice's marvelous huge fish market (though I wasn't prepared to cook and therefore wasn't intending to purchase any of the market's wares, the market both was exciting in itself and made it clear that I was likely to be eating very fresh fish at whatever nearby restaurants chose for suppers), and a ten-minute stroll to a spot on the lagoon shore where the various boats heading out to the islands stop frequently. In spite of its central location near the hustle and bustle of various tourist attractions, the hotel is delightfully quiet due to its being set part way down a narrow alley devoid of shops or restaurants. Nights were therefore peacefully silent - even though, in my case, I usually slept (it was a warm March!) with windows flung open.

Second, rooms and rest of the interior. From the burnished wood of the entrance stairs through the roomy and distinctively-decorated public area and the large bright breakfast room there is a welcoming warmth and other evidence of the hosts having taken the time to make visitors feel comfortable and, at the end of the day, likely to be glad to get back to their Venetian "home". The two rooms in which I stayed - and the couple of others that I happened to catch glimpses of through open doors - were large and lovely, each one decorated with care and with objects of quality. And clean and comfortable, absolutely.

Third (though perhaps not in importance), the hosts. They are always pleasant, though never instrusive. And they are happy to aid a visitor with almost anything - planning a day's outing, catching a train or boat, finding just the sort of restaurant for which one is yearning, or simply efficiently negotiating one's way through Venice's maze of streets and alleys which, however delightful,aren't always easy to efficiently negotiate one's way through (even for one with excellent map-using skills!). The sensitivity to, i.e., the ability to understand, a visitor's individual preferences or whims was particularly notable. On several occasions Roberto quickly grasped what sort of experience I felt like. For example one day I felt like escaping to quiet "ordinary" residential streets near public gardens (and Arsenale's lions, which I'd promised my little grandkids I'd photograph for them) for half the day, while visiting San Marco and the museums bordering its piazza for the other half. And wanting to find myself outside when the light would be loveliest, I wondered how I should order these activities. He worked out a plan involving some streets - and an unpretentious little island - I'd never otherwise have visited, and certainly got the order exactly right: the day, including the the directions in which the sun shone, was one of my best in Venice. He also helped me get my islands day - Murano (the grandkids again, as I'd promised them I'd see the glass blowers and bring them some little glass objects) and Torcello (perhaps my favorite spot in Venice) - off to a wonderful start by working out, after I mentioned how lost I usually got trying to get to the aforementioned place where visitors catch the boats heading for the islands, a simple (yes, in Venice!) "back" way which combined a 50-cent across-the-Canal gondola ride (fun and cheap!) and a pleasant stroll between Canal and lagoon along a relatively straightforward and tourist-free route. And I'm convinced that in either of these cases had I (or other of his visitors) wanted a different sort of experience, the suggestions would have fit my (or their) desires rather than merely reflect his own ideas of what a good day in Venice might be.

All in all, lodgings I loved - and to which, as I said above, I'll definitely return should I get to Italy again.

P.S. Good WiFi too!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank grandmaEthel
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The location is perfect - close to the Grand Canal, a few steps from the Rialto Market vaporetti stop, right above the market.

The people at the desk are friendly and helpful. They carried my bag upstairs for me (for which, after a long train ride, I was very grateful,) and happily answered questions. I stayed in two different rooms, since a shared bathroom room was not available on the Sunday I arrived. I spent 1 night in a room with a bathroom, and 3 nights in a room without. Both were surprisingly large, with very comfortable beds and Murano glass chandeliers. The room that did not have a bathroom did have a sink. There is no television, but I never missed it.

Free WiFi is available in the lobby. My second room was closer to the stairs, and I could sometimes get a signal in my room. There are plenty of chairs downstairs in the lobby, so it was still pretty convenient. Breakfast is typical for Italy -- rolls, cereal, yogurt.

Since the hotel is so close to the Grand Canal, you can hear the very distinctive sounds of the vaporetti, as well as the market as they set up in the morning. I'm used to city noise, so I found it charming. There is no lift, so be prepared for one flight of stairs to the lobby, then another flight of stairs to your room. There are also a few small single rooms off the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Lisa J
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We were so lucky to find a hotel so close to everything we wanted to see in Venice. The room was large, clean and comfortable. It was right over a market, so we did close the windows at night and were not bothered by noise. The breakfast hit the spot....croissants, bread, cereal, yogurt and good coffee. Just enough to get us going in the morning. Everyone at the desk was helpful and good at guiding us to different places. It was close to the Rialto Bridge and within walking distance to St. Mark's Square. We had a wonderful stay there and would recommend it to others. It was also easy to find...right near the Grand Canal. We also recommend Murano and Burano.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the market square. I got several pretty good pictures fr...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Had old charm but very noisy, Rooms were below average, walls are thin, you can hear everything from next room. Breakfast is only croissant, bread, cereal and yogurt. compare to other hotels we stayed in Italy, this hotel was the worst. Having a market right outside they should add some fresh fruit and vegies to breakfast. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate W
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was a nice little place to stay. The owner was behind the counter when we arrived and was very helpful. He recommended a few restaurants and went out of his way to secure us a reservation. The place had a lot of character and charm. Also they had various Italian travel books to help you plan your stay. The rooms were decent formthe price we paid. This is not a place where you would get all the frills. We shared a bathroom down the hall, not as bad as I thought it would be. Breakfast was included and was your standard continental style food. Pastries, yogurt and cereal. A good start for your day. There is a farmers market right outside the hotel with lots to choose from. The location was located near Rialto Bridge and was easy to find. Real nice place and very good on the wallet. With the money you save, you can get a lot of espresso.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is a very nice old bed and breakfast near the Rialto Bridge. It is quite full with Rick Steve's tour groups and/or with those reading his Italy book. The American tourists took away from it a little for me as the group that was in there was loud, rude, and let their kids run around without watching them. It is however very quaint, the rooms are modest, but comfortable and you can't beat the location. There is a great wine shop just down the street and it is right next to the farmer's and fish markets.

Room Tip: Wifi is only available in the lobby, but we had a room right at the top of the stairs and could get...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple