“Superb location. Nothing else.”
Review of Hotel Astoria

and 1 more site!
Hotel Astoria
Ranked #355 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Dublin, Ireland
“Superb location. Nothing else.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Nothing I could complain about the location. But the place looks, feels and smells rundown. Walls were dirty with cracked paint etc. Rooms were small and mine even had a very slanted ceiling ( felt like a storeroom?!). I wonder why it's called a hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 12MLee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

The worst hotel, or should I say hotel/hostel experience. It has to be said that all the hotels are old and falling apart in Venice but it doesn't mean you have to treat your patrons as if they are staying in a hell hole. So I walk in to the kinda makeshift lobby around 10:30 pm. A lot of hotels don't have AC in the area so be mindful. It was 80º F in the lobby. The hotel staff minus one lady are all short with you and non accommodating. On the outside of the building it states Hotel Astoria but you will see hostel strickers and hotel staff wearing hostel shirts. I knew of 2 different people that were staying with 2 other people in the same room. I stayed in a double room. No AC, bathroom, or TV. You had a bed, window and sink. The bed ans pillows were horrible. Two twin bed put together but of diffrrent heights and firmness levels so you end up rollimg into the middle of the beds and they separate. The community bathroom and shower and tiny. The shower is 3ft by 3ft the hot water literally cut in and out every 5 secs. No exaggeration. The floors are horribly uneven throughout the hotel/hostel. My door to my room reached only up to my eyebrows, I'm 6'4". One of the toilets in under a staircase so I can't stand in front of it nor would you want to since it smells or sewage. The breakfast is very limited and is made up of dinner rolls, corn flakes, packaged toast, juice, and coffee machine. I literally walked up to the lone employee and the front desk and stated "I am not happy" response "oh ok" . I came back 30 mins later and got the same response. Worst experience ever. You have been warned.

1 Thank cm33175

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Since this hotel is near Piazza San Marco, we expected it to be great or at least passable. The room was not as tiny as the usual Italian Hotel but it was horrible. No elevator but that wasn't the worst. There were these little stains on the walls and headboard and I couldn't figure out what they were. I thought they were blood. Finally, when a bug crawled over my bed and I squashed it, I knew this were dead bugs which they never bothered to clean. The pillows were harder that the cobblestone streets of Rome and the two in the closet had no pillow cases and had yellow stains all over them. The breakfast was sparse to say the least. The receptionists had no charm and gave half directions for everything so that we had to figure out the rest. Will never return here. I just read one of the other reviews where they had paid 35 e per night. we were had...we paid 100 e.

Room Tip: Bring disinfectant wipes.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
13 Thank anna a
frankfurt
Reviewed 12 July 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE Simply put, this hotel is a dump. no care is taken whatsoever, the staff are at best below average, the breakfast, well, we didnt bother, literally bread rolls and processed packet cheese, oh and the worst coffee i have ever tasted. our bedroom was nothing short of appalling, the door, well all the doors to the bedrooms had signs of break in at some point, and crudely covered over, the bathroom was disgusting, the sheets not clean, the pillows dirty, the floor filthy, the only saving grace is the location, but do yourself a favour, look elsewhere. just a complete dump. worse than a well below average hostel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PogoStickPaul
HotelAstoriaVenice, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Sirs,

We are sorry to read about your disappointment about your recent stay in our property.
We'd like to remind you that you stayed in a 2 stars cat. hotel located in the centre of Venice.
2 stars is a low cat. on hotel class , you should not expect much , not considering that most of all your declarations were way too false.
Housekeeping was made every day during your stay, as your room was properly cleaned.
Breakfast has other stuff you can enjoy , if you didn't appreciate our bread rolls with "packet" cheese ( it's cheese cream , sir :-) ) or the "disgusting coffee" , you should have taken our toasts or crackers with marmelade , butter or chocolate cream , and our coffee machine can provide a very tasty cappuccino , hot chocolate with milk too. Also cold beverages are available!
Fruit juices and yogurts are provided every day.
We would encourage you to believe that our property is not filthy , and our "below average" staff was ready to help and assist you , too bad you never talked to them for all the period you stayed here.
Our doors were never cracked , nor crudely covered....they were simply modified because of the different floor levels.
We are sorry to read all the accusations this person gave to us , we found them a little exaggerated , not to mention that this person has no medium feedbacks on her previous tadv ratings( you can get 1 or 5 stars from him , rarely 2 - 3 or 4 ).

We'd like to apologize for all the discomforts this person had , but also we would encourage him/her to book a "below average hostel" or set up his accomodation in a tent next time ...we are 100% sure that he will never get the same treatment he got here. :-)

Best Regards,

HOTEL ASTORIA**
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I didn't expect much from this hotel therefore, I wasn't too disappointed about it. It was an alright place. My friends and I were put in a room which we shared with a random stranger who luckily was a clean enough person to be around with.

The bathroom was small and the door wouldn't lock but it didn't bother us so much, we just had to let each other know someone was using the bathroom. The beds weren' too comfortable then again as I said, I wasn't expecting much.

In the end what really mattered was that it was in a perfect location. Just 2 minutes (maybe even less) from Piazza San Marco.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a dorm room with 2 other random people. The room was about what I expected for such an awesome location at 35 euros a night. The hotel was about a 3 minute walk from the beautiful st marks. The front desk guy was not very friendly but not much to complain about. I'd probably stay here again if I was traveling on a tight budget.

• Stayed June 2013