“Restful and very nice, good location, complicated check-in process”

Casanova ai Tolentini
Ranked #180 of 462 Venice B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Restful and very nice, good location, complicated check-in process”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We are a family of four and we stayed in Venice for 4 nights. We chose this B&B mainly because of its location, just two bridges to cross with our luggage. It is close to the train station and public transportation, yet very quiet in a nice, residential area of Venice. This is an old Venetian building, recently renovated with nice bathroom, A/C and TV. The room is quite spacious with one queen size bed and a pull-out sofa that was a nice size and comfortable for two children. There is a fridge in the room, but the little cook-top and sink are not hooked up (and may not be any time soon).

The check-in is in hotel Florida, near train station and at a completely different location. I highly recommend finding both using Google Street view before you travel, as the addresses in Venice are not easy to follow. However, if you know where you are going, everything is really close.

When we arrived to hotel Florida they told is to come back at 4 as our room cannot be ready before then. We were able to leave our luggage in their upstairs lobby (albeit unattended and unsecured). When we came back at 4 there was a crowd at the check-in and the lady would not give me the key until she finished with them, although we have already finished the paperwork and payment when we first arrived. Once she would finally talk to me she told me that the maid has not even started yet so we should not go to the room. I had to pleas the case of my tired kids so she finally, after a deep sigh, said she would ask the maid to clean our room first ?! Obviously none of the rooms have been prepared on time although they specifically state 4pm as check-in time. True old-fashioned, inefficient and unprofessional Italian hospitality.

Also, don't let the B&B designation fool you. You will only get breakfast vouchers if you book through the B&B's own web site. If you use any other provider, the room price is the same and the breakfast is not included ?! We only found this out after we booked so we had to go look for breakfast elsewhere. Even if your breakfast is included it is either a croissant and coffee at a nearby cafe or a buffet breakfast at hotel Florida (5 minute walk away from center of Venice).

Once we got there we we realized the building had two doors, both with the same address so make sure you read your instructions carefully (ours included "brown door"). Once inside, it was nice, clean and modern, cool and restful. We had to open all windows to air the room after the maid swiped through the room with a strong chemical cleaner but eventually it evaporated.

From then on, everything was great. The building is quiet, although there were other people staying at the B&B. We always had the hot water, and the plumbing worked well. We never had any problem finding our building and there were restaurants, coffee shops and pizzerias nearby.

The B&B itself is nice and well located, I would recommend it. The check-in process is a pain, especially since you have to haul your luggage with you. Also, we felt tricked out of breakfast so that left a bit of a bad feeling. However, it is nice, clean and new and relatively easily found and near train station - for these reasons I still recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal, ours was overlooking the side street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nina N
tolentini, Proprietario at Casanova ai Tolentini, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the appreciation you showed us, we are sorry you had to wait till 4 to get your room, we have had some difficulties with some new green maid who took some extended time to clean all the room ( hotel plus B&b are 30 room plus common area ) , regarding breakfast we have been forced to cut off some service from the reservation from On line travel agency due to the increase of their commission inspite of the global crisis we are living, anyway once checked in we offer a solution free of charge that , ususally fit for us and for the client.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

took a while to find the place to start with found the room and someone who was staying told me I had to check in somewhere else over 10mins walk away. when I eventually found the other hotel my room was not ready for check in so I could not shower. it was already 1.30pm so I don't know why my room wasn't ready since check out is 10am!. I had plans for the day and was offered a bathroom with a sink to get washed in until I could check in. I went out through the day and returned to the hotel where I would check in later. Everything was ok and then walked the 10mins to the actual room to find when I went to take a shower there was no hot water!!! I called the contact number for the hotel and was told I would have to speak to someone in the morning ... I was only staying one night!!! When I checked out I complained to the lady about the hot water and although she was nice she started to tell me they had that problem before and the boiler is broken. I asked her why are you still letting people stay there if the problem hasn't been fixed?! she had no answer and didn't offer anything in return for the inconvenience. I wish I had not stayed here, I would never stay here again and I would definitely not recommend it to anyone!!! stay somewhere else!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Reviewer4483227775
tolentini, Proprietario at Casanova ai Tolentini, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you spent wrting your review, we always respect different point of views, non the less when you booked the Casanova ai Tolentini you should have checked out that check in is from 15.30, for same simply reason : even though we do state check out at 10.00 am it's very rare that our guest respect this timing and we think that to be flexible helps a lot considering our guest travel in most of the case with young son and they need most of the time more time than the deadline given by check out ( although we do have to set a time to force people to speed up their departure ) after that maid needs time to set the room clean and comfortable for the next occupant, one of our strength is the cleaness of the room, the bathroom and the common areas.
Regarding hot water it seem very strange our clerck staff spoke about a "Boiler" since we do have a centralized system with two heating working all year long and guests of other room didn't complain at all during their permanence of a failure of hot water.
Back to the check in, we wrote in our confirmation, we wrote in all the on line tour operator that check in must be done at the Hotel Florida, it's enough to read before, during and after the reservation which are the condition and the rule of the house.
Anyway we are really sorry that your one night stay in Venice was not as you were expecting but truly we do not feel guilty for that.
Delhi, India
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We were on our trip to Europe and Venice was our last stop before we head back home. The Small hotel is actually a small home converted into a mini hotel, like many other venetian homes.

Pros - Location - very close to railway station St Lucia. (people with heavy luggage - please note that you need to cross the bridge across the station)

Provides Free Breakfast in a shop next door and believe me it is super tasty super fab breakfast that we got and all my vegetarian friends you do get vegetarian dishes at small coffee shop. So Indian people travelling to venice will love that part.

Budget - In comparison to other hotels it was a value for money steal.

Above all Room Size - After searching many hotels i booked a suite here for a price of hotel room and room was super spacious for the price i paid. actually we have a super size room along with another room with a sofa bed ...was sufficient for 5 people actually ...and we 2 enjoyed it thoroughly. amenities providd are basic but adequate for sure...

Venice is to be covered by foot and hence location of hotel need not be in very happening market square like St Marco or Rialto. we could walk in 10-15 mins to both the areas and what you discover on the way in hidden streets in amazing. every small street is a different experience and hence i strongly advice to stay near to station so that you can spend max time venturing the streets of venice.

We took a daily pass and that is helpful for the first time. however we realised after few boat rides you feel like its done and then you explore it only and only by foot. so do enjoy venice on feet

Only and only negative about hotel - there is no resturaunt around the area that is open at 10:00 PM also. so you have to be around station area - which is 5 mins. all the shops close by 8:00 pm in this area. but you can find restaurants at 5-10 mins walk open in late hrs also ...we found it tough on one day as it started raining

and i forgot - bus stop also is 5 mins walk ...the main veniuce bus station is 5 mins which connects you to airport (via shuttles) so logistically its best location and you save on heavy cost of transportation here...

Room Tip: Ask for Suite room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Few things about this place...Finding the place was a mission and a half, especially in a city like Venice! It was brutal carrying luggage across 3 bridges just to get to the hotel and being notified to go to another hotel to sign in! wasn't very impressed with that.
Then they promised us WiFi connection for the two nights (as the website mentioned when we booked it) just to find out that there is something wrong with the internet connection. We were promised it'll be fixed for the 2nd night but that didn't happen. Also, they forgot to place our breakfast vouchers so i had to call the receptionist again to fix that.
Staff, one lady receptionist wasn't particularly friendly, but the other gentleman was accommodating though.
The room, was reasonably clean, obviously old with stairs to get to the 1st floor where we stayed...i got used to the extreme inaccessibility of that city by the 2nd day! Otherwise, nothing particularly special about the room. Breakfast was ok.

Overall, was a not so great experience. Will not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Su_1307
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The location of this B&B is perfect, only 2 minutes walk from the Piazzale Roma (Bus terminus), or 5 minutes from Train station. Checking in is done at Hotel Florida, which is less than 5 minutes walk. It's also 2 minutes walk from the People Mover (tramway to get to the Cruise port) for 2 Euros. The personnel at Hotel Florida were very helpful. They helped us getting to another location via Train on our way back from our Cruise. Without their help, we would probably still be looking at a way to get to Quarto d'Altino !! Special thank to the woman working at the front desk (sorry, I don't know your name !!). If I go back to Venise, I will go back there for sure. The room was very clean, the building, even if no on-site staff present, was very secure (2 numbered locked doors to go through, then our locked room door). Great place. Free Wi-Fi. Thank you again !!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Lovely location but very average accommodation. View was just another building in the room we were in. When you arrive make sure you go to hotel Florida to check in as this is basically an apartment block. However location is great as 10 minutes walk from the bus station and is a great place to start your rambling around. Breakfast can be had a few doors down at a nice little cafe. Go to Venice March-May weather and tourist crowds are great!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple