“Far from terminal & san marco nothing close to it.....”
Review of Domus Cavanis

Domus Cavanis
Ranked #332 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

We were planing to stay two nights in venice but the hotel location was so bad we decided to go back to rome the next day the mosqitus ... Were awefull... Our room was in another building that no body was there not a receptionist or even a maid ... So scary.... Anybody could. Kill you and no body would notice ... The good thing was the breakfast in other building which was a very gool hotel with three times the price for a night .... Very nice garden and good breakfast .. I dond recomand domus . Dont go there you lose your holiday spirit ....

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank katy k

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I chose to stay at the Domus Cavanis as a solo traveller looking for a cheap weekend option of staying in Venice, close to the San Basilio cruise terminal where the ship I was visiting was docked.

The hotel is easily reachable from VCE airport via the Alilaguna water bus, which runs a regular schedule for 27 Euros return. In fact, it is only a two minute walk straight on from the 'Zattere' stop, which is on the BLU Alilaguna line that runs from the airport. The staff will shout out the stop names and you can download a map from the Alilaguna website if you want to be sure you're getting off at the correct stop! Waterbus journey comes in at just over an hour, but it is a great way to see the city from the water, and cheaper than hiring a water taxi or land taxi.

Check in happens at the 'Belle Arti' Hotel, which you will find on your left hand side about two minutes walk from the water bus stop. As you come away from the stop, just carry on walking straight. There will be a church on your left and a cafe bar (Laguna) on your right, and the Belle Arti a bit further along.

The lady at reception spoke good English, explained where the Domus Cavanis was and gave me my key. As you exit the Belle Arti onto the street, turn left and look on your right hand side- you are looking for a green door with a '895' above it. The door may or may not be propped open, and this is the Domus Cavanis.

Other reviewers have mentioned the spooky abandoned lobby, and will agree that it does feel strange walking through an abandoned hotel lobby. Another thing to bear in mind with this is that there isn't anybody controlling access to the building and anyone can walk into the lobby and the hotel if they want. This, combined with the fact that there is no in room safe means I definitely would not recommend leaving any valuables in your room. That being said, I found the surrounding area to be pleasant and trouble free.

The room I had (104) was basic, but exactly what I needed- it was clean, quiet (on the weekend) and somewhere I could sleep and recharge after a long day stomping the streets of Venice. Realistically that is all you need, because you aren't coming to Venice to spend time a lot of time indoors in your hotel room (and this isn't the type of hotel you take your other half for a romantic weekend) :)
An important fact to note is that there is a school next door to the Domus Cavanis, so I imagine it would get quite noisy during break times during the week, but I visited during a weekend so did not experience this.

There was a small, old TV set with 6 Italian channels just in case you are bored and there was an air con unit in the ceiling, but it did not appear to be working. This did not affect me as it was not hot enough to warrant using it. A window overlooks a quaint little courtyard, although there is no guest access to the courtyard itself. There was one towel on the rail in the bathroom that was slightly dirty, but I just dropped it on the floor to be replaced the next day. The shower doors also seemed to be missing their lower rail fixings, but this did not stop me using the shower. There was also a toilet and a separate bidet in the bathroom.
Everything was very basic, but did the job just fine.

In terms of breakfast, there is a continental breakfast that is served at the Bella Arti from 7.30-10.30 every morning. This included cheese, a few different cuts of meat, cereals, juices and some Italian cakes/croissants. I found the breakfast to be perfectly adequate to set me up for a long day of exploring.

Location wise, you are very close to everything. Piazza San Marco is about a 10-15 minute stroll away and I had no trouble getting around. Zattere is a great promenade to have a stroll, and is especially beautiful in the mornings around sunrise. If you get up earlier, you'll be able to get a real feel for Venice, as the locals go about their business as opposed to the hordes of tourists which are present in other areas of Venice. Plenty of great cafes and restaurants nearby to sit down and have a meal too.

Overall, as a solo traveller this was a great call in terms of a room in the heart of Venice, as opposed to getting a room somewhere on the mainland. I wouldn't book here for a romantic weekend (splash that cash!!), nor bring my nearest and dearest to a hotel that has no security in the lobby but it suited my needs perfectly. The staff were all perfectly happy to help me when I required it and generally I came away with a positive impression of my stay. As long as you bear in mind my comments above I think it can be a great (cheaper) place for a room!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank oh-noes
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Went on a cruise that started in Venice so we stayed here the night before. As we had very limited time here we wanted something budget-friendly yet centrally located. The building is unmarked from the outside so you have to check in across the street at their partner hotel, Belle Arti. The breakfast is included (and very tasty) which is also at Belle Arti. Domus Cavanis is a little eerie when you walk in..there's a lobby and a bar filled with tables and chairs but it is completely abandoned. Our room was average, the bathroom was completely run down with rust everywhere and broken shower doors. The bed was hard but we were tired enough to get a good sleep regardless. You get what you pay for, as they say! Our room opened up to a cute courtyard so it was nice and quiet. Location was FANTASTIC, close to everything.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yvy-s
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The location was great but we had issues with lack of aircon in scorching heat, no hot shower and poor breakfast. staff was ok but not very helful about anything, not even knowing how we could best get to the main train station.

Room Tip: Some Roomy are big and others are very tight, but the same price...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank julianoble
Reviewed 4 August 2012

To go to the hotel you can take a waterbus and get off at Acedemia stop then take the road on your left. It's only 100 metres and you should see Belle Arti on your right.
Domus Cavanis itself is in a building with no sign. There's no staff at the building so you have to go to Bell Arti if you need anything. The place looked deserted on the ground floor.
No supermarket near the hotel to buy drinking water so we had to go buy it elsewhere. Not very convenient.

The double room we stayed was quite okay (not too small and quite clean) However the bathroom stinked. The room has small TV but no fridge. The air-conditioner worked but wouldn't say that it actually chilled the room. The breakfast worths the money spent.

Overall, nothing impressive but you wouldn't expect more from a budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vaew
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The Room was relatively clean, we had very low expectations given the £100 per night price tag. The reason we made allowances was location and budget.

Hotel reception staff were unhelpful and were unhappy to assist. The only saving grace was the room was clean and the location was perfect.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Le_moore
Reviewed 28 July 2012

In short Manager asked us to leave the hotel "You do not pay anything, no breakfast for you, leave now"

Location is very good although it was hard to find.
This hotel is under Belle Arti(3 star) which is located just across the street. its like their cheaper version.
Room was clean.
Breakfast was not worth.
Horrible experience was with the manager. we checked in the afternoon and headed off to see the city. On returning in the evening we saw that A/C was not working and it was really hot n humid. We told the guy at reception of belle arti that A/C is not working. He gave us a table fan and asked to talk to manager in the morning. We went for breakfast and talked to manager about the problem. I said I will not pay the full amount, I need some discount. In reply he asked me to leave the hotel without breakfast. I did not want to spend my day searching for a hotel in such high season so I asked if the problem will be resolved today or not. He said Yes. We came back in afternoon for some rest from scorching heat. While collecting the keys from reception I asked the lady(she was present in the morning also) about the AC, she said its workaing now. When I opened the room I was not surprised, AC was not working. I waited for 1 hour to check the cooling but still not working. Went again to the reception, this time a new lady told us that the technician has visited 4-5 rooms including yours half an hour back and did not find any problem. I said how is this possible as we were in the room. She said we can give you a table fan, I said I already have it. Finally while checking out I told the manager that AC never worked, he said OK. No sorry nothing.

Room Tip: Rooms with double digit room number like 77,76,etc have problem with A/C Choose the room with tripl...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple