“Wedding reception excellence”
Review of Palazzina G

Palazzina G
Ranked #208 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We booked PalazzinaG for our wedding reception and it was amazing. The staff was entirely helpful (even when I miscounted my guests and added five two days before the wedding), the venue itself is just wonderful, the location is amazing and the food was wonderful. I cannot say enough about Simona and her staff with all of the arrangements. The reception was perfect, and we will always have those memories. Thank you, PalazzinaG!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie C

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel is wonderful. Beautifully designed, clean, comfortable and in a great spot. Without exception, all the staff I spoke to were charming and helpful. We booked through Mr & Mrs Smith and got a free dinner which was also excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and 6 month old son stayed for a long weekend in february. We were kindly upgraded to the grand canal suite which was just awesome. The rooms are gorgeous and the view was amazing. they also threw a party that Saturday night that was attended by over 150 people so definitely also the place to be as far as a scene goes. The lobby and restaurant are really cool - can see pictures on sight, but most importantly, at least in our experience, the service was very strong. It seems they were taking particular effort to be as helpful as possible so here i would contrast a bit with some of the other reviewers. The thing to keep in mind is that it is a boutique hotel so it's not going to have all the resources another might. In addition the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. room service also fantastic. and breakfast was so personalized and complete. Everyone was so kind to us and we really had a great weekend. The suites are set in a building in the back along the canal - the floors are a bit thing so you can here your neighbors a touch but it didn't bother us. also true that the location is not the easiest to find but that's what maps are for i suppose... and from water taxi you can go straight to the door or 1 block walk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank InvictusBeach
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just had a truly fantastic stay at Palazzina G! The staff could not have been more friendly, knowledgeable or helpful. They did absolutely everything to make our stay as relaxing and enjoyable as possible, even down to offering to serve breakfast until 2pm!

The hotel is a tiny bit difficult to find, but if you just head for Palazzo Grassi it's right behind (no sign at the entrance, but well worth hunting for and a great location!). The rooms are a light, airy, immaculately clean mixture of white, silver and mirrors - a welcome contrast to the majesty of the grand Venetian interiors. The bathrooms are, like the rooms, immaculate with everything you could wish for, including fluffy white towels and comfy dressing gowns.

Ample power points and well-stocked minibar. The only tiny criticism is that the hairdryer was a bit weak, but that's not a big deal (unless you have a complicated hairdo..).

The restaurant is intimate and comfortable, the food delicious, the staff friendly and fun, and the bar staff happy to make recommendations on local drinks. I stayed in February, so the terrace wasn't in use but I'd imagine in the summer it's fantastic.

It was my first trip to Venice and the hotel and staff helped to make it truly wonderful. Thank you Palazzina G!

Room Tip: Doesn't matter if there's no view as the rooms are so airy and the lighting is great. Some...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Olga888
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It was our 15th wedding anniversary. Being new to Venice it took absolutely ages to find this hotel! It is located in a side street with no sign posts and when you eventually arrive there is no name outside the hotel even though there is a house number! Very posh indeed but I'd rather have it easier than posh! Upon checking in we were offered a welcome drink in the nice plush bar/restaurant - no complaints there we were served what we asked for and on time with complimentary peanuts and cracked corn.

I then told them that it was our anniversary so would appreciate a nice room with a view if at all possible. Looked promising as the reception chap went away to "see what he could do". After 10 mins, we were told by the receptionist that the hotel was full and there was no chance for an upgrade. OK fair enough...so we proceeded to our bedroom which was very very small and the white LED lights make it feel like you are in a hospital room!! The TV in the wardrobe door and the ability to plug a phone in via an aux input to have music in the room and bathroom were good touch but apart from that there was nothing to shout home about. Two massive windows with full length blinds greeted us so I opened up and was shocked at the view which was basically looking in to another building's windows around 2 meters away! OK I know Venice streets are narrow so a possibility of a good view is rare but this really took the mick! The room was also very very warm - there was no air conditioning.

I asked the reception chap who was showing us the room and he assured me that the aircon was working even though there is no fan noise! Now that's a first - I have been around the world but never come across a 100% silent air conditioner! Intrigued I got up on a chair to see if I could feel any air coming out of the vents but there was nothing at all. I called again and complained about the room being too hot and was told they would look in to it. I got a call after 10 mins to say they have done something down their end and it would now cool - again nothing - the aircon was NOT WORKING!

I complained and said i would be happy to pay to upgrade my room but was again told the hotel was full and that this is not an option. Certainly not how I expected to spend my 15th anniversary in a room that was very very warm! We then ventured out and when we came back we found the windows in our room to be open! The receptionist called and told me they opened our windows so hope the temperature was now OK - I asked why they needed to open the windows if they had aircon and was told because i was feeling to hot! Were they saving electricity but not using aircon in the hotel rooms or were they just outright lying because the aircon was malfunctioned - I will never now but it was a pack of lies nevertheless.

I eventually gave up with the Air con and started to open the windows at night - this itself was a pain as it would eventually get too cold and I would have to get up to shut the windows - not a good nights sleep at all! Oh and the bed is hard - very very hard!

I then asked concierge (which was the same chap - seems like the hotel is run by a one man band!) for a good restaurant recommendation keeping in mind the occasion and was told that the best place in town is the rooftop bar at the Daniela Hotel in Venice...so we walked for 25 mins to get there only to be told that the rooftop bar is closed from October to and March - urm shouldn't have concierge known this!?!?!?!

That was Day 1 - we eventually slept and woke up the next day for our room rate inclusive continental breakfast in their bar/restaurant - wow what a breakfast it was - tea and coffee and a bread basket with butter and Jam!?!?! Oh you could also have biscuits and a yoghurt too but anything else, meats, eggs etc were to be paid for as a supplement! First time I have stayed at a hotel that includes breakfast but only cold foods with no eggs!

All in all an extremely bad experience and I was happy to get out of there and thank my stars I only had to spend 2 nights of my life here - NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank prancinghorsepower
Linda M, Direttore at Palazzina G, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Your negative feedback on your recent stay in our hotel has received our best care and attention. We have gone through all your complaints to better understand the issue and we would like to clarify some aspects that might have been misunderstood.

PalazzinaG is located in a quiet area plenty of art galleries and just a few steps away from San Samuele water bus stop. Our main entrance is literally at the back of Palazzo Grassi Museum on San Samuele square. There are indeed no signs bearing our name and this is a personal decision of ours, in order to preserve at best the privacy of our guests.
Nevertheless, on our official website a detailed explanation of how to reach us can easily be found.

Regarding the room assigned, please be assured that what you had is what you booked. Your reservation made through a flash sale by one members-only luxury travel club was indeed for our standard room category (Superior room) which is about 22 sq mt.

On your original reservation no mention of your anniversary was given, nor were we contacted later on to be informed of it. We only got to know of your anniversary upon check-in but unfortunately no availability for an upgrade was possible (neither complimentary, nor with a supplement) because all our higher room categories had already been confirmed.

Furthermore, the decor and the design of all our rooms are the same:
bright colors, mirrored furniture and unique pieces created for our hotel only by Philippe Starck.
The air-conditioning system, as well as the heating, are regularly checked and it is all working.
During our turn-down service or when cleaning the rooms, our maids usually open the windows to refresh the air, therefore it is not a problem of malfunction of the air-conditioning.

Regarding our suggestion for the Danieli Hotel, it has been explained by the person at the Reception that day, both the position of it, and the location of the bar, being it on the ground floor in the winter season.

Finally, the Continental breakfast served in our Restaurant does not differ from Continental breakfasts in other hotels. As a matter of fact, a typical Continental breakfast consists of coffee and milk or hot chocolate with brioche and pastries. It is often served with juice.

Our aim is to provide the best service, therefore such a comment cannot do anything but ask ourselves, why we haven't been able to fulfill our purpose. We would be extremely glad, if you would come to Venice again and renewed your preference to our hotel. We will thus make our utmost to have you experienced our services at best and enjoy what only PalazzinaG can offer.

Best Regards,

Linda Mariotti

Reviewed 2 January 2014

i went, with four friends, for the new year eve at the dinner show in palazzina G.
The place, that's always amazing, was even more with great gold decorations made for the party called "the golden eve", organized by "Madame EMA" a nice little woman . During the dinner there were all night round show, not conventional, sexy and funny.The food was great, the waiters and all the artistc stuff made a great and unique atmosphere. The place were to be! I suggest this place, not so cheap, but which is worth what you pay for. I will not miss next party signed Madame EMA next carnival!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We opted for the Palazzina G precisely for its unique design. After days of wandering through the marvels of opulent Venice, a moment of clean modernity would, no doubt, be welcome.

And, the Palazzina G, while opulent in its own way, delivered the minimalist/modern goods.

Love him or not, you know what to expect from Starke and, at the Palazzina, he delivers to his standard. Quirky layers of Venetian excess with those of "minimalist excess" make being here a feast for the eyes. The lobby/dining area is a wonderful place to be for how it makes for a lush and comfortable experience.

We stayed in a suite that included a living room, two terraces and mirrored bedroom that is not for the faint of heart, but it truly was a welcome counterpoint to return home to an all white, clean-lines room.

Unlike other places where I have wanted to stay in the room versus experiencing the city, I don't think in future I would opt for such a large room in Venice or at the Palazzina G, but be warned that the smaller rooms are well and truly tiny!

The breakfast and lunch that we did have at the hotel was nothing to write home about, good or bad, but I always recommend that one contact a local food blogger and go on a foodie tour to experience what is truly local to a place. Saves on the absurd hotel food fees, as well as helps find you the truly delicious Venetian delights (cicchetti).

And, the location is fantastic. Nestled behind the Palazzo Grassi (Pinault's modern and contemporary art collection/museum), with a view of the Grand Canal and, seemingly to us, a great central spot for getting around, the Palazzina could not be beat.

Room Tip: While the suite might be too big, the smaller rooms will be too small! If you can splurge, go big!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple