“Not worth the money”

Ranked #76 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Columbus, Ohio
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly, but if you are looking to go on a vacation where you want to relax after a long day of venturing around Venice this is not the place for you. The rooms are right off the street with loud noise interrupting your sleep and the bed is VERY uncomfortable. Wifi is in and out at best and the entire time I was in the room the toilet was making an awful noise.
If you need a basic hotel to stay in for one night and will spend no time in there besides sleeping then you might be able to get away with staying here as it is clean. Overall though for the price you pay I believe you could find a more appeasing place on the island. The one positive is that the staff is friendly and the breakfast that is included is decent. It includes tea, coffee, bread, meat and cheeses.
I was looking for a place that has a lounge area and something that was more relaxing as I was on vacation and wanted that perk. I like to stay at a variety of places and do not need a 4 star hotel, but I wanted something more comfortable and less noisy than the Dalla. Mora.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Jephelan21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The location of this hotel is great if you are coming in from the train station. It is no frills as its one star status would imply, but the staff is friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the generous coffee and milk at breakfast. The first floor terrace is a great place to enjoy a snack and some drinks as you overlook the canal.

My only complaint would be that the mattress and pillows were a bit worn out. My friends said that their showers were cold (I am guessing that if you shower at peak times this might happen), but I always had nice, hot water for my shower.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chagnes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Took my mum for her birthday for 3 days. We managed to get a great offer 45 euros a night which was brilliant. The location is ideal not to touristi yet only a 20 minute walk to the main Marco square. You will get lost a million times as everywhere looks the same, even when you think you've cracked it.Rooms were clean and the view of the canal was perfect. The bus that goes straight from the airport is a 5 minute walk with the train station 10 if that, absolutely ideal location. Breakfast is a bit bare but definitely fills you up. Staff are extremely helpful and nice. Would 100% recommend to anyone that wants to explore Venice and doesn't want to spend a fortune on the accommodation.

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Babz08
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My two goals were to stay within budget and be an easy walk to the train station. Mission accomplished here. From the mixed reviews I was prepared for sacrifices in other areas but it turns out I was happy on ALL fronts. The walk from the train station takes about 10 minutes and you can roll your bag except for one large bridge. I suggest you print the map from their website for your arrival. I didn't think it would be helpful but once I got here it made perfect sense.

Side note: I traveled to Venice during the shoulder season to avoid crazy crowds, heat, bugs, smells, and higher costs for EVERYTHING. If you choose to visit during the height of the season/summer than you should be prepared to not have a "perfect" trip.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank rad79
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were on a bit of a budget for our visit to Venice and stumbled across this hotel, so decided to give it a go. We were so pleasantly surprised. We stayed in the room above reception (I think it was room #5) which had the most picturesque views over the canal, which was right outside the window. There was also a balcony next door (open to all guests of the hotel) to our room, which was lovely to sit on in the evening and watch the passing traffic on the local canal. Our room had air conditioning, which was superb given that we couldn't sleep with the window open due to (a very small amount) noise from the canal at night. There was no TV in the room, but this didn't bother us as we were out sightseeing until ready to drop anyway! (And from what I hear from friends who have had TVs at other hotels, they are useless unless you are fluent in Italian!). Our room did have a private bathroom which was perfectly adequate for our needs. The bed was comfy and given that my partner suffers from a bad back, he did not complain once! The location is absolutely superb. We could walk to the Rialto bridge in about 20 mins, which is a lovely walk and plenty of delightful shops along the way. Breakfast was also included in the price of our room, and it filled a hole every morning and we never felt the need to go elsewhere for breakfast.

All in all, a brilliant hotel to stay in if you don't want to spend an arm and leg for a bed in a good location!

Room Tip: The room directly above reception in the main building - views over the canal. No next door neighbou...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AmySparkles
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

If you've ever been to Venice, you'll know it's a bit mad. Tourists all streaming round pointing cameras at the same thing. Street sellers trying to get you to buy all manor of junk. It is pretty hectic.

When you turn the corner into Santa Croce it is like the world stops a bit and you can breathe. Yes there aren't stalls selling Venetian masks and One Direction t-shirts but there is a quiet calm to the canals that is lovely to enjoy. I think the restaurants are nicer and less touristy and overall it's a nicer place to stay.

Hotel Della Mora is 10 minutes (if that) walk from Piazza Roma. I personally woudn't walk round Venice with heaps of luggage as there are 400 canals and each is crossed by a bridge with steps and no ramps. Even to the hotel I think we crossed 4 bridges.

The hotel is on a quiet little canal and in the morning we were woken by small boats drifting past and the occasional church bell. Bliss.

The hotel occupies two buildings (a pink and a cream one). We were on the ground floor of the cream one. We had a stunning view out of both our bedroom and bathroom windows and our room was clean, simple and functional. No frills but nice enough.

The main issue that we encountered with the room was that it only had one plug socket. So at night it was either the fan or the insect repellent plug in. The first night we chose the fan. Which was a mistake. The second night we chose to be warm and not to be eaten to death!

The staff at the check in desk were really helpful and friendly and told us the free wifi code straight away.

Breakfast however was a bit of a let down. No hot options, no meat, cheese, yoghurt or fruit. Just a basket of breads and croissants and a handful of spreads. The coffee tasted like instant and service was hardly with a smile. We skipped it the second day and had breakfast over the road.

I would stay here again as it is a pretty reasonable price and a wonderful location. I would bring a multiway plug and go elsewhere for breakfast if I came here again.

4 Thank Pinotnoirgirl
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I picked this hotel after reading reviews and based on value. I was not disappointed. I was apprehensive about traveling alone and so I requested a room with a shower and bathroom. It was perfect. I also had a window that opened up to a balcony with a table and chairs overlooking one of the many canals. The owner was so pleasant. He made me feel at home and made my stay comfortable. The breakfast was more than I expected. In typical European fashion, I had bread, pastries, cheese, jams, honey, coffee, juice, etc.. It was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: My room had a bathroom and shower. I also had a twin bed and a desk. Outside my window was a balco...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo