“Clean B & B in perfect location for great price!”
Review of Oceano Mare B&B

Oceano Mare B&B
Ranked #54 of 471 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2011

If you are looking for a reasonably priced B & B with nice spacious rooms that is tucked away from the noise and tourists of Venice, but still only about a 10-15 minute walk to Saint Mark's Square, then this is the place for you! My husband spent three nights here and found it was a welcome oasis every afternoon to take a quiet nap so that we could re-charge our batteries before heading-out in the evening. We were on the top floor facing the front of the building, so we did have one of the nicest rooms. The view was of red rooftops and there was a lot of light. You could hear the church bells throughout the day, but as we were napping, it was great as you didn't have to keep checking your watch as you could just count the number of gongs to figure out if it was getting close to the time to wake-up again. The sheets and bedding were very clean and the closet and hangers were all new so there was no fear of your clothes smelling of old wood. The bathroom is small (only large enough for one person at a time), and we often showered with the door of the shower slightly open to allow for some elbow space, but it was just fine and the water pressure was perfect with nice hot water. The only con in the bathroom was that there was no shampoo or soap (only a hand soap dispenser by the sink) and no place to put your shampoo in the shower even if you had some! Breakfast was nothing out of this world, but it was sufficient. There were always at least two fresh cakes to choose from as well as yogurt, corn flakes with milk, coffee, pre-packaged croissants, and some assorted apples and apricots. A fresh pastry assortment might be nicer as well as some melon or other fresh chopped fruits, but we always had enough to eat and were satisfied when we left in the morning. I think there was Wi-Fi in the hotel, but you have to have your own computer to use it. Nicola is very nice, but make sure you pay close attention to his directions when you arrive as you might easily get lost later when you try to get back! It's not a big deal though as it's easy to get back on track and the area where this B & B is located is very beautiful and peaceful. We hardly saw any tourists in this part of Venice (which is amazing considering how close it is to the main tourist attractions), and actually saw some locals playing cards by the water. If you want a very nice, quiet spot and want to experience the "real" Venice, then this B & B is a great choice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah H
There are newer reviews for Oceano Mare B&B

Reviewed 17 June 2011

The first impression is the lasting one. We were meant to land in Venice at 7.30 in the evening but due to missed connections it was well after midnight. Despite this, Nicola still came to meet us and guided us through the streets to the b&b. He was a star!

We packed so much in, that the b&b was really no more than a place to crash after a long hot day. The shower was great though!

The breakfast is a bit basic but that didn't upset us. The unlimited coffee at anytime went down well.

Thanks Nicola!

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank weecazza
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Grateful that Nicola led the way to his Oceano Mare, just a few blocks from the water, we quickly found our own way and found ourselves feeling right at home in the B&B's delightful neighborhood close to the Arsenale. We appreciated Nicola's advice and loved his delightful stories. He goes out of his way without being intrusive. Our room was clean, well appointed,comfortable and roomy enough. The a/c works and the breakfasts were continental style, but with good choices. We were just a short walk from San Marcos but a world away from touristy Venice.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank escondida
Reviewed 9 May 2011

First time I've stayed in a B&B and I wasn't disappointed.

The best thing about this B&B is Nicola, the owner. From when I made my booking to our final day he was fantastic. The level of service was outstanding. Some of the things he did:

Picked me up from the Vaporetto stop (I would recommend this as locating anything in Venice is very difficult).
Provided his personal mobile number for anything we might need.
Provided a map (Very important to have a map in Venice).

The second best thing was the complimentary coffe machine in the lobby. Saved a fortune on coffee and after a hard days sight seeing I was glad to have a cup of coffee ready on my return.

The complimentary breakfast was not outstanding but was adequate. I don't believe that Venice has a huge variety of places that do breakfast so it was very welcomed.

You can ocassionaly hear guests in other rooms and there are bells ringing in the morning (but I have noticed that there are bell towers all over Venice so this might be difficult to get away from). But since its in a quiet area, you don't get street noise.

Also the last reviewer mentioned a foot washing thing in the bathroom. I hoped he didn't wash his feet as I thought it was a bidet.....

This is the first time I've stayed in a B&B and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IncognitoGuy
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Pros: Fantastic host (Nicola), big comfortable rooms, brilliantly located - tucked just away from the mega tourist areas but (like all of Venice) only a short walk away from all the sights.

Cons: The bathroom's a bit poky so if you're 6'6 and 20 stone you might struggle (although they do have one of those great little foot washing basins), church bells will probably wake you up at 7am and will definitely wake you up at 7.30am - although that's part of the charm rather than a down side

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I travelled to Venice with my 6 year old son in mid-April 2011 and stayed at Ocean Mare B&B. I chose this place based on tripadvisor comments and was very pleased with the decision. Nicola met us at the closest waterbus stop and on the 5 minute walk back to the B&B he pointed out all the small landmarks to make sure we didn’t get lost when finding trying to find our own way back. He provided a map and showed us best routes to cut through to the main sights.

The room was comfortable and clean but extremely tiny. It was fine for a short 2 night stay but any longer and I think I would have found it too small. Breakfast was nice – although I’d like to suggest to Nicola that a toaster for bread would be a good addition to the breakfast array. The B&B was an extremely quiet location and we slept peacefully.

I liked the location in the non-touristy part of the city and especially enjoyed getting lost in the lanes in the area and looking at local life as we made our way to the main sights. It took about 15-20 minutes to walk to St Mark’s square, although it would be a quicker walk without a 6 year old in tow (he coped fine but I imagine some other children would find all the walking in Venice and to and from the B&B a bit much).

Thanks Nicola for a great 2 nights stay to end our 2 weeks in Italy!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We loved this clean B & B. Tucked into a little neighborhood, out of the chaos, but only a 10 minute walk (thru safe areas) to San Marcos. As is anyplace in Venice, it is tricky to find until you get your bearings. Then it's a breeze. The owner, Nicola, met us and led us in, which was such a fabulous way to get started in Venice.

The room and bathroom and dining areas were all cute and clean. Tiny, yes, but clean. New dual paned windows ensured a quiet night of sleep. Nice balance of updated amenities where it counted (bathroom fixtures, windows, doors), and yet still quaint with beamed ceilings.

Thank you, Nicola, we will be back for sure!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple