“Charming little hotel on the canal with beautiful surprises everywhere”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #17 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Hong Kong, China
“Charming little hotel on the canal with beautiful surprises everywhere”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Palazzo Stern is a wonderful little hotel on the Grande Canal in Dorsoduro which is a good distance from the madness of St Mark's Sq. Only one vaparetto stop from the Accademia Bridge, the vaparetto stop is just outside the hotel. We had one junior suite overlooking the canal which was gorgeous: spacious and airy. Our triple room however was a bit disappointing in terms of size and comfort; however all the bathrooms were spacious and newly renovated. Breakfast which was included was a treat on the terrace overlooking the canal and the service was great. Of particular help was one of the reception staff, Daniele, who was madly helpful and pleasant. Good value for money especially compared to somewhere like the very expensive Hotel Danieli where other friends stayed and wished they had also booked the Palazzo Stern!

Room Tip: Slurge on a suite overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Dear Friend,

thank you for your very kind review! We all wait to welcome you (and maybe your friends!) here for your next visit.

Have a nice day,

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Turkish first
bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2011

As soon as we arrived at the Palazzo Stern it felt like we had stumbled upon a traditional italian paradise,we had origanally booked a double room but the extremely friendly & polite manager upgraded us to a suite when he found out we were only there for one night,in his words he wanted us to experience the best of the hotel in our short stay and indeed we did.The suite was luxurious.By far the best seat we had was pre dinner drinks on the Terrace on the Grand canal the perfect place to watch the world go by.
I was very reluctant to leave the next day & wish we had spent the full 3 days of our trip in that hotel.My only complaint if i was being forced to make one would be the pigeons on the terrace can be quite annoying when you are trying to eat but the hotel staff do their best to get rid of them for you.

Room Tip: The hotel bar can be a bit expensive.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear Friend,

thank you for your very kind review!!!
I'm happy to know that the only complaint is something almost impossible to control!!!

We all wait to welcome you again here in Venice, warmest regards.

Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Hotel Palazzo Stern is not an inexpensive option at over 300 USD/ night although we thought it to be a good value for the money compared to other luxury hotels in Venice. Perfect size at about 30 rooms makes it feel intimate & charming but still luxurious and with all the perks. Highlight is definitely the terrace on the grand canal. Excellent spot for morning breakfast or predinner drink. Standard room was still very elegant with upholstered damask walls, chandeliers, king sized bed, and lovely pearl-mosaic tiled, renovated bathroom with jacuzzi tub. Lovely, quiet location with quaint view over housetops and a bell tower out the back if you don't want to pay extra for the canal view (we didn't). Only complaint-- the rooftop jacuzzi would have been nice but was overpriced in our opinion. Still left with an excellent impression-- a fair price for an unforgettable stay.

Dear Friend,

thanks a lot for your very kind review!!!

I don't think that the jacuzzi on the rooftop is so expensive. We offer very nice packages at a vary competitive rates!!! For example you can get one hour in the jacuzzi, with a bottle of sparkling wine and snacks at 80,00 €.

We all wait to welcome you again here in Venice, warmest regards!

Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 23 April 2011

It is hard to say which is better about the Hotel Palazzo Stern - the location or the service. Both are outstanding. This was the first, but I hope not last, visit to Venice for my wife and myself. In all honesty she did the research and picked the hotel. She did very, very well. Until you walk the streets, alleys, bridges, and dead-ends it is hard to realize that location can matter so very much. Even hotels that seem near could have been a trek to reach. Not the Hotel Palazzo Stern. With a vaporetta stop next to the terrace on the Grand Canal the hotel was a breeze to get to day or night. I really felt for the people I would see hauling luggage up and down the streets and bridges of Venice.

Breakfast was great. In fact, breakfast on the terrace or drinks there in the evening were two of the top treats of Venice for us. The American coffee tasted like Nescafe but the cappuccinos were divine and seemingly delivered by intuition every time I thought of one. Such intuition seems to be inherent in the staff. It was like everyone knew what you wanted or needed without being asked. Roberto had great suggestions for restaurants and was able to get last-minute reservations for us regardless of the popularity of the venue. (Actually, I think he could because everyone I met in the city knew him personally.) The only problem I had with the hotel was the wi-fi in our room was spotty and slow. I understand such is not the case throughout the hotel. It is a minor issue and I did report it so maybe if we are lucky enough to return and have the same room (502?) it will be corrected.

We stayed in a small room overlooking a garden behind the hotel and an alley that is a small canal. It looked over rooftops as well and was a postcard in and of itself. The room was very comfortable and even though it was small we had a large, well-equipped bathroom.

All in all a great place to stay in Venice.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Dear Friend,

I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay! I'm sure that you will be back in Venice (this is a magic city and one visit is never enough) and I hope that you will choose us again for your next vacation!!!

I'm sorry for the wi-fi matter. I think it's a technical trouble as the router is just few meters from the door of the room you had. We will double check!

Thank you for your very kind review, have a great day!!!

Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 21 April 2011

My husband and I loved our stay at the Palazzo Stern. Our first trip to Italy and all of our research paid off. We got the smallest room, but it was lovely and comfortable. We were on the back and slept with both of the windows open for wonderful cool evenings on our very comfortable bed. The hotel is lovely with an incredible terrace on a beautiful section of the Grand Canal. We ate breakfast and had evening (and late night) drinks on the terrace. We enjoyed the campos (sp) behind the hotel. The staff was wonderful and Roberto was especially helpful. I highly recommend for anyone visiting Venice. I felt like our hotel was our own little part of Venice.

Thank you!!!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2011

The review above says it all. Everything was excellent, the location, service, rooms.
At this time of the year optional heating in the bedroom would have been welcome.
The cooked part breakfast could be improved. Ie the bacon/ eggs were cold on both days. The toaster only seems to work on one side and there was no way of timing the boiled eggs.
That apart this is a terrific hotel and
I would reccomend it to all.

• Stayed April 2011
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Dear Friend,

thanks a lot for your very kind review.
I'm sorry for the few inconvenients with the breakfast. But everything was an easy thing to solve during your stay, you just had to ask to the waiter to cook other eggs and bacon!!!

We are all here to make your stay as pleasant as possible, so don't be shy and ask us anything you need when you need it!!! you will not bother us at all.

We look forward to welcome you again here in Venice, Happy Easter!!!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 April 2011

This was the second year in a row that I stayed at Palazzo Stern with friends. It was just as enjoyable as it was last year. My friends thought the hotel was beautiful and was an excellent value.

I enjoyed being surrounded by beautiful Murano glass and Fortuny lamps and chandeliers. All the public spaces and rooms are decorated with elegant taste.

The staff were all equally courteous and helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Dear Friend,

I'm very happy to hear that this was your second stay with us! And I'm ahappy that you have been as happy as during your first visit.

I look forward to welcome you again, maybe next year!!!

Warmest regards,