“Avoid room 506 (others may be fine)”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #22 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I have to assume the extremely positive reviews below are for rooms facing the canal (which is what I’d thought I’d reserved). My $599 for one night in room 506 (booked through American Express six months in advance) purchased a room that was much too warm when we checked in and could not be cooled down. This was bad in mid-April, must be a nightmare in the summer.

If the air conditioning functioned, and the front desk assured me it was, it was not apparent and it had no effect. Two separate trips to the front desk to plea for help accomplished nothing, other than an assurance they could manage the temperature from their computer, which was at best inaccurate. This top (third) floor room had a high ceiling, which doubtless added to the problem, and might be an issue in other top floor rooms.

The staff was pleasant. The terrace was nice. Breakfast was perfectly ordinary, but satisfactory. Having a vaporetto stop at your doorstep is awesome. But your hotel is first of all a room.

The temperature problem might have been mitigated, at least in April, if the windows would open, but they don’t. The view is virtually non-existent, as there’s no glass on the bottom half of the windows. If you don’t stand at the window to look out, you could just as well be in Kansas (or Frankfurt or Belo Horizonte). My vision of a room with an open window or balcony overlooking the Grand Canal wasn’t even close.

The angled beams inside are attractive, but a threat to your head, especially in the bathroom, where using the toilet becomes a risk. The shower is European high-tech, a bit baffling to an American, but equipped with overhead spray, handheld spray, and jets on either side. Except for the handheld intermittently leaking purely hot water on my hand, the shower was fine.

There are other technology quirks, like in-the-wall audio that nominally provides five pre-selected channels, but these seldom worked. The TV had few channels. It took a while to match switches to lights. Few outlets are available (we only found two) for those with many phones and iPads. These are not serious problems, but potential annoyances for some.

Based on this experience and the other reviews here, I would expect staying in a room facing the canal might well be worth the cost. My AVERAGE rating overstates my experience, which was poor, but to rate the whole property as poor would be misleading. However, if you stay here, I suggest requesting the hotel to close the drapes before your arrival, just in case the day is warm and you are assigned room 506.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ChadH
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Buongiorno!

I'm sorry that you didn't like your room. I can understand that your expectations where different, but this is what has been reserved. That's why we always suggest to contact the hotels directly.

Also the rate you paid doesn't seem the same you pay when you book directly...

Room 506 is very nice, we had hundreds of guests there and all of them has been happy.

The air conditioning was working, we never had any trouble with it. I just double check it and it works just fine. Also in the mid of april the external temperature (unfortunately) was not that warm.

In any case I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. I hope to have the chance to have you here again in the future, I'm sure that we can find a room that you may like.

Warmest regards,

Roberto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,738)

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Our first stay at Palazzo Stern included a luxurious room with large bathroom. Friendly smiling staff. Superb location with a view upon Canale Grande. It was all most comfortable and easy. To be surely considered for your holiday particularly if you appreciate a smaller hotel without all of the confusion and offers a quiet and good nights sleep.

Room Tip: A room with view of Canale Grande if within your budget.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Buongiorno!

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!
Thank you for this very nice review and have a nice day!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Steps away from a water bus stop, Hotel Palazzo Stern is in the heart of central Venice without the liability of being noisy and crowded. Two minutes' walk through a charming alley takes you to the throbbing part of town. It is housed in a well kept Moorish style building with nicely appointed guest rooms of very comfortable size. Its staff are very friendly and professional. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Grand Canal allow the ultimate Venice experience. This to me is the ideal place to stay in Venice!!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review!
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us. But the picture is not from our hotel!!!

Have a nice day,.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

We aren't first time visitors to Venice, but it was the first visit for my Dad, who was celebrating his 83rd birthday. We have had a wonderful time, not least because this is the loveliest of hotels to stay in. It is beautiful, with very comfortable rooms and the most lovely terrace right on the Grand Canal for breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks, and also has the nicest and most helpful staff.
And the situation has been ideal too, right next to the vaporetto stop, a hop skip and a jump from great local restaurants, bars and ice cream shops.

Room Tip: Take the water taxi from the airport for a stress free transfer right to the door, go to tourist inf...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again soon. Have a great day!

Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate a special birthday. It really couldn't have been any better. We had their suite and the extra room had been set up beautifully with a cot for our infant daughter when we arrived. The view was onto one of the side waterways and was quiet and peaceful. We only heard a few people outside our room talking but at a reasonable hour in the morning. The whole place feels very civilised. The hotel itself faced the Grand Canal and was very conveniently located next to one of the water bus stops about half way between the Rialto bridge and St Mark's and within fairly easy walking distance of the usual tourist areas. Staff were friendly and went out of their way to help us find things we were interested in and to guide us how to get there. They had also taken steps to mark my wife's birthday which was touching. It's not cheap but a great place to splash out in if you want a treat.

Room Tip: seems not all rooms have a view of the Grand Canal
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank groucho007
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I look forward to welcome you soon again here. Have a nice day!

Reviewed 21 April 2013

This was my third time at the Palazzo Stern and it starts to feel like home.
My previous reviews don't really need to be updated as all the qualities of this hotel I already mentioned are still valid. This is one of the great thing about the Palazzo Stern, they are striving and succeeding at keeping their amazing ratio of price, quality and service. I enjoyed the quietness of the room, the perfect location, the friendliness of the service. We were really treated like valued customers and would not even try to find another hotel for our trips to Venice.
This year came with a bonus as the orange boat line from the airport stops at Ca Rezzonico which means that you can get directly and conveniently to your hotel from the airport without having to take a taxi.

Thanks to the entire team and keep up with the good work!

Room Tip: For quietness I always ask for a garden view room.

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy that you enjoyed again your stay with us!!! And I'm happy that you still find our service as good as at the beginning.

We now have another big plus: we have a private boat for our guests!!!
It's free of charge for all the guests who book directly with us. Unfortunately we are not allowed to go everywhere in Venice, but maybe we can fit your needs. Just tell us where you have to go and we will se if it's possible!

We all look forward to welcome you soon again here, have a great day!

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Decadent and wonderful in every aspect! The view was great and the windows filter out the noise if you want them closed, but let in the life of Venice once you open them! The suite is worth the extra coin if there with your spouse!!

Room Tip: We had two rooms-both were great, spacious and reasonably priced (for Venice). Would stay here every...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you soon again.

Have a great day!