“Pleasant & comfortable... but watch out for mosquitoes”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #17 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleasant & comfortable... but watch out for mosquitoes”
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We had a very nice stay at this comfortable, fairly posh hotel right on the Grand Canal. Service by the staff was excellent, and our room was very comfortable. One highlight: a Jacuzzi style bathtub you could float a small Navy in. After a day of walking and fighting crowds at Venice's major attractions, it's just the thing, though getting in and out of it was a bit of a challenge. Bring a stepladder. The Palazzo Stern's location is excellent. It was an easy walk to St. Mark's Square, the Rialto Bridge and other must-see sites. And, for getting to more distant areas, the hotel is right next to a Vaporetto stop. My one caveat: think twice before leaving your room's windows open. There are plenty of mosquitoes, and I'm still scratching the bites I got while sleeping

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank danaz99
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!
You are right, sometimes going in an out our Jacuzzi can be difficult if you have difficulties in moving. The edge is a bit taller than usual. If needed we can book a room with a walk in shower, just let us know!

Also, I'm sorry for the mosquitoes. In some period (springtime and autumn usually) they comes in because of the difference in temperature between inside and outside. Anyway we have spray and other stuff to keep them out!

I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice, have a great day!

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Turkish first
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in room 405. I had requested this room specifically and was lucky enough to get it! It was more than I had hoped for. The balcony was lovely and I turned around one of the chairs by the open window and just watched the world go by while sipping coffee. The staff was so friendly and professional. The hotel is first class all the way. We also reserved the hot tub on the roof the first night at sunset. It was amazing to see all the roof tops and watch the sunset. I can't say enough about this place. It was one of our best trips ever.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony when you book!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGirlie1
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for this very nice review!
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice!

Please remember for your next visit that starting from last week we have a boat service which is free of charge for all the guest who book directly with us! We are not allowed to go everywhere in town, but maybe we can fit your needs so don't forget to ask when you book!

Have a great day,

Wavre, Belgium
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Not much to add that has not been said : beautiful hotel ,excellent location, large choice at breakfast and most of all very very kind staff (for example, the lady at the front desk gave me a serious hand for our boarding pass for our flight the next day and printed it at reception).
I will surely be back ! Thank you

Buongiorno!

thank you for your very kind review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!

I have something to add! Since last week we have again our private boat. It's a vintage wodden taxi, it was out for maintenance.
It's free of charge for all the guests who book directly with us! We are not allowed to go everywhere in town, but maybe we can fit your needs so don't hesitate to ask when you reserve!

Thanks again for your review and have a great day!

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had a lovely stay in the Palazzo Stern in the first week of March 2014. The location, atmosphere, room and the treatment by the staff were perfect and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. The hotel also offered a complementary service of a visit to one of the Vencian glass factories, which was an impressive experience. The location of the hotel next to the public transport (by boat) and a few good restaurants in the area was convenient as well. I most certainly recommend this hotel to other visitors and am most likely to return, if I visit Venice again for a personal trip.

Room Tip: Be on time with your booking if you want a room on the canal side. As the hotel is relatively small...
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review!
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice.

Since last week we have again our private boat! It was out for maintenance, it's a vintage wooden boat. It's free of charge for all the guests who book directly with us! We are not allowed to go everywhere unfortunately, but maybe we can fit your need so don't hesitate to ask when you reserve!

Thanks again and have a great day!

montreal, canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have been back to the Stern many times and have sent friends and family. I have never been disappointed. The staff are friendly and efficient, the hotel is a gem. Wondrously restored,a museum worthy beauty. Right next to a Vaporetto stop, five minutes from the Academy bridge, right on the Grand Canal. You couldn't ask for more.

Buongiorno!

Thank you for this very nice review!
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again here!

I think that you can ask for something more now... We now have a private boat for all the guest who book directly with us!!! It's free of charge and it's a unique service here in Venice.
We are not allowed to go everywhere, but maybe we can fit your needs so don't hesitate to ask when you reserve your room!!!

Have a great day!

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Situated on grand canal next to water bus station Easy to get on and of the water bus. Rialto and St Mark Sq. just 5-7 Min. away. Within walking distance of many restaurants nearby easily accessible by foot. Very friendly staff they reserved restaurants and places we wanted to visit. Nothing was a problem. Good breakfast self service eat as much as you like. Plenty of tea,coffee and hot chocolate. Clean towels and bed sheets daily. Both our rooms were centrally heated with cold and warm air conditioning units. We could not enjoy the water front terrace as it was Feb and a bit cold to sit outside. In summer it will be a pleasure to sit out side and see the world go by.

• Stayed February 2014
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again soon here in Venice.

Have a great day!

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

my wife took me to Venice for ashort break to celebrate my 50 th birthday .

We have been to Venice many times before . We stayed at the palazzo stern last year for the first time following a recommendation from a friend . It was wonderful . So when my wife booked again for this year , there was no question of where we would stay .It had to be the palazzo stern . and we had another wonderful stay . It is a perfect location , adjacent to a waterbus stop , next to Ca Razzonico ( a wonderful gallery ) and in a beautifully quiet part of Dorsoduro but on the grand canal .The staff are first rate , so friendly and accommodating . They remembered we had stayed before and produced a bottle of sparkly stuff on my birthday . We had a delightful time . As it was my birthday my wife had booked a suite overlooking the canal and it was simply beautiful . Half of me didn't want to give this review because I think palazzo stern is a very well kept secret and I would like to keep it that way but on the other hand , it would be unfair of me not to share a wonderful experience with fellow travellers .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 147Matt
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcome you again soon here in Venice.

Have a great day!!!