“EXCELLENT HOTEL, GREAT SERVICE”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #16 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Albertville, Alabama
“EXCELLENT HOTEL, GREAT SERVICE”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We chose the Palazzo Stern based on a recommendation from our travel agent. Since it was our first trip to Venice, we really did not know what to expect. We were more than pleased. The longer we stayed in Venice, the more we appreciated the Palazzo Stern. It is located on the Grand Canal and has its own boat dock, so a water taxi can bring you directly to the hotel. There is also a public transportation boat stop just outside the door, so one can also take public transportation and arrive at the hotel without having to drag your luggage through the streets of Venice. The guys manning the reception desk were very professional and quick to make recommendations about Venice when asked. One of the aspects of the Stern that we appreciated most is that it is away from most of the tourists located on the other side of the Grand Canal. We were very close to Campo San Barnaba which was very charming and enjoyable. There are several very good restaurants and shops close by. The complimentary breakfast was outstanding, offering a range of delicious pastries as well as hot and cold items. This was one of the best complimentary breakfasts we have ever had. One could eat on the wonderful terrace overlooking the Grand Canal. The room was quite nice. The bedroom was upstairs and was quite comfortable. The bathroom was clean and well appointed, though it lacked a bathtub. The room also had an air conditioner. There were TVs upstairs and downstairs. There was a room safe and a mini bar. The front desk told us there was a complimentary boat to Murano. We availed ourselves of it and were treated to a personalized tour of Schiavon Vetreria Artistica. Fabio was our host and treated us very cordially. We toured the workshop and the galleries. It was quite amazing, words cannot do it justice, We took public transportation back to the hotel. That came off without a problem as the folks who sell the tickets speak English well and were very helpful. I cannot think of any negatives, other than our stay was too short. It was really nice being away from all the tourists. We love this hotel and cannot wait to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank drj999999
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
What a wonderful review!

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us, I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice.
Have a great day!

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Turkish first
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was an amazing experience. My family, including two boys ages 9 and 15, stayed in a Junior Suite overlooking the Canal prior to our Disney Cruise. We stayed a total of 4 nights, I can not recommend this hotel enough. First of all it was wonderful having the family all in one room. European Hotels are much smaller, and we are often forced to get two rooms. Second, the location is perfect! The hotel is directly on the Canal, close to major attractions, but not so close that you get caught in all the tourist traps and crowds. The Hotel is beautiful, the staff amazing to our needs, and included a daily breakfast. I recommend taking a private water taxi from the airport to the hotel. The experience is amazing! Remember, you are in Venice, Italy. spend some money, get off the beaten path, and enjoy the entire Venice experience!

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!

I hope to have the chance to welcome you again here in Venice, have a great day!!!

Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Where to begin...
There are many fabulous options in Venice when it comes to choosing lodging. However, none matched those of my must haves, other than Hotel Palazzo Stern. 1) Must be directly located on the grand canal ~ check! 2) Must have a sizable terrace on the Grand Canal ~ check! 3) Must be located in Dorsoduro ~ check! 4) MUST have a water taxi stand at the hotel ~ CHECK!
The Grand Canal is beautiful and fascinating ~ I never tired of looking at it, at any time of the day or night, weather from the large beautiful terrace or from our junior suite. Location, location, location... Dorsoduro ~ beautiful. Lively, but many more Venetians than tourists ~ lovely shops and non-touristic restaurants. I saw many travelers rolling their luggage through the streets ~ no way I was going to do that. No need at Palazzo Stern, water taxi pulls right up to the palazzo ~ and there you are!
The palazzo itself is magnificent - breathtakingly beautiful, inside and out. I adored our junior suite, directly facing the Grand Canal. It was elegant, spotlessly clean and very large by European standards.
Breakfast was the best I have ever had anywhere in Europe ~ delicious and extensive choices.
The service was excellent ~ helpful, non-intrusive and friendly. We stayed for six days and I believe we met most of the staff. There was one shining star though, Dennis. Hence the #DennisfromVenice hashtag ~ the man is definitely a Venetian icon. It was a joy to return most evenings and Dennis would whip us up a spritz and Bellini ~ we enjoyed his company and conversations, immensely!
There are two points I would like to address as I finish up. The first is regarding my children's room. It was a double deluxe ~ quite lovely, but extremely small. Please be clear on the room you reserve ~ ask lots of questions. Book directly. My final note will be about the fact that I have read, in responses to other TA members reviews, is the mention of a private water taxi available if you book directly with hotel ~ which I did. I made arrangements myself for this service for our arrival in Venice as I did not see this mentioned early enough and it was never mentioned directly to me, either through email or in person at the hotel. However, I did ask during our stay. I was told that this service was only available to the island of Murano. I thought I must have mis-read something so I did not push the issue. If you look back four reviews or so, ahead of mine, you will see this mentioned again in response to a review. So, be clear at time of booking. It would have saved us roughly 180euros ~ 100 from the airport and 80 to Piazzle Roma on our departure.

5 Thank people2people
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review.

You are not wrong, our boat is available free of charge for all those who book directly with us. We are allowed to go everywhere unfortunately, traffic rules here in Venice are VERY strict.
I don't know why you have been told by the staff that the boat is available just to go to Murano, this is not the true. I will double check the issue and fix it.

Thank you for the information!!!

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We were at the Hotel Stern for three days. The staff were great: friendly, attentive, and helpful. Our room was a duplex, with bedroom upstairs and bathroom and small sitting room below. Not a canal view, so if that's important, make sure you ask. However, the canal-side terrace is a great place to have breakfast. We were very happy with our room. The hotel is right next to the water bus station, which we appreciated returning after a long day of sightseeing. As a bonus, Dennis, the bartender, gave us a long and detailed history of Venice as we enjoyed a beer. We certainly recommend this place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice.

Warmest regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at Palazzo Stern. First I suggest taxi to the hotel - cost 60EUR.
Considering all options we decided on The Suite, overlooking the small Canal Rio Malpaga and the Private Garden. Keep in mind if you choose grand canal view - you will pay more for a view with lot's of trafic noise. Our suite had two rooms and the bathroom. Great value for money. Clean and nicely decorated room. Only one suggestion - bathroom needs update. Toilet seat needs replacement, water presure all over the place and bath-room showers needs a new/fresh grout.
Hotel management was very nice and very helpful. We had a breakfast in the room and outside.
Also, I was pleasently surprised to receive a card and a bottle for my birthday. Thank you! Attention to details earned high mark for this hotel. I will highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review! I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for the suggestions, we will double check and fix all the broken things.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2014

On June 14,my daughter and I had the good fortune of staying at Palazzo Stern,on the Grand Canal. From the moment we arrived we were met by very attentive staff,given a large room overlooking the Grand Canal,complete with champagne which was chilling upon our arrival in our room.
The staff could not have been kinder or more attentive. When they learned that we would not have enough time to visit Murano,they arranged for a water taxi to pick us up free of charge and take us to the Murano factory in St Marks square. Upon disembarking the taxi,a staff member was waiting for us and gave us a private tour of the glass blowing,where an artist made a glass horse for us while we watched.
In addition,every restaurant recommendation was wonderful and the breakfasts outside on the Grand Canal were made even more delicious because of the scenery right in front of us.
I highly recommend the Palazzo Stern and wish I could return soon.
Judy Wayne

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Grand Canal.
Buongiorno Judy!

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice!

Have a great day,

Llangwm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stopped here over Easter for my wife's birthday in a suite overlooking the canal.
From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the staff could not do enough for us.
The building is fantastic as was our room.
Breakfast is very good and a couple of evenings we sat on the terrace with a bottle of wine and watched the world go by, considering the location we thought the bar was reasonably priced.
If you go out of the hotel and turn left after a couple of hundred yards there is a square with many competitively priced places to eat.
Went in by water taxi which was just excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay!

Please don't forget that we now have a private boat, FREE OF CHARGE, for all those who book directly with us. The service is limited, but we are usually able to fit everyone's needs.