“Wonderful stay, wonderful place”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #24 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Madrid, Spain
“Wonderful stay, wonderful place”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I planned a 10th anniversary with my wife, without letting her know where we were going, and thought of Venice. It had to be a romantic place, in a good hotel, with good possibilities for relaxing and visiting.
Palazzo Stern was wonderful. I stayed in a Junior Suite with looks to the Gran Canal, and all my expectatives were surpassed. The people were kind, rception kind.... I can't say many more things, except to hughlight the same.
Completely recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RafaMorillo
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Thank you!

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Only royalty is treated this special!! You realize you made the right choice when the water taxi drops you off at the private landing of the hotel where you are met by hotel staff, after a georgeous ride down the Grand Canal.

If that doesn't do for you, the warm welcome you receive when you are checking in and the beautiful surroundings should probably do the trick. It's as if one just stepped right into a fairy tale.

The hotel is perfectly located between the Accademia bridge and the Rialto and right at the Ca' Rezzonico vaporetto stop. Which gives you tremendously easy access to everything, while at the same time, a short walk behind the hotel and you're in an actual neighborhood, with all the character of a real italian village.

The rooms are huge (the standard room overlooking the Grand Canal is perfect with the views of a suite without the cost). You'll feel like a celebrity when the tourists on the vaporetto snap your picture when you look out windows. The rooms and baths are decorated just the way you'd want for a hotel in Venice, elegant and warm.

Relax on the quiet front terrace enjoying a cool beverage after a long day of site seeing. You may just have it to yourself. Even though the hotel was completed booked during our stay we rarely saw other guest

The staff is very friendly, helpful, and make you feel very much at home, which is what this beautiful hotel feels like. The turn down service, weather cards, remembering your preferences, etc., you just can't get this kind of attention and service in a larger hotel.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CoolMom5
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Buongiorno!!!

Thank you for your great feedback, I makes my Monday morning feel like a Friday morning!!!
:o)

We wait to welcome you again here in Venice, have a great day!

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed three days. The room was nicely decorated and large overlooking the Canal. We've stayed at 5 star hotels and I'd rate this almost above them. We'd highly recommend It. Felt like we were staying in a palace.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 23 June 2010
Thank you!
I wait to welcome you again in our hotel.
Warmest regards,

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We stayed 4 nights at this lovely hotel. The first night we stayed in Room 501, a standard room on the third floor in the back of the hotel. The room size was adequate and decorated tastefully with fabrics and a Murano chandelier. The bathroom seemed large relative to the size of the bedroom and had a wonderful stall shower. The bed was quite comfortable, as I do not even remember sleeping on it. The photos I included should describe the room better than mere words can. But we had hoped for a room on the water. Fortunately, Francesco, who was so professional and helpful during our entire stay, was able to move us to Room 405 for the next three nights, the room with a balcony overlooking the Grand Canal. This could be the best "room with a view" in all of Venice. If you sit out on the balcony, you will be the envy of all the tourists that pack the passing vaporettos as they snap your picture. The Palazzo has been so impeccably renovated that everyone feels compelled to photograph it. The luxurious room and the expansive view are such a perfect combination that you might think twice about ever leaving the hotel to explore all that Venice has to offer. For what could be better than this?
If you have never been to Venice, a word about location. For most first-timers, the question is whether to stay close by St. Mark's or not. My preference is to find a hotel away from this crowded area but one close enough to easily go there whenever I want. However, I should note that my wife and I go to Venice fairly regularly, so I must confess that the compulsion to stay near St. Mark's has long given way to a desire to stay where one can savor the real Venice. So that is why we have so enjoyed our more recent visits to the Ca Sagredo in Cannaregio and now to the Palazzo Stern on Dorsoduro. Now there is another aspect to location, and that is ease of finding the hotel and ease of access to it. Unless you hire a private water taxi and have booked into a hotel that is both directly on the water and has its own dock, you will find yourself lugging your bags to get to your hotel. Of the ten or so hotels we have stayed at in Venice, the Palazzo Stern is about the easiest to find and to access. Just take the vaporetto line 1 and get off at the Ca' Rezzonico stop. Walk along the canal a few steps and the hotel is right there. The three or so steps up from the sidewalk to the hotel are the only obstacle of any sort you will experience in your journey. And that is nothing compared to the bridges you need to cross finding the Bauer or the Europa and Regina near St. Mark's. You really do not need a water taxi from the airport to come to Palazzo Stern. Furthermore, once at the hotel, there is a traghetto and a vaporetto hard by the hotel, the former to take you directly across the Grand Canal (to visit, for example, the Palazzo Grassi) and the latter to take you either toward the Rialto or toward St. Mark's.
Our room was magnificent. It was very large by Venice standards, with columns and lovely wall fabrics and an eye-catching Murano chandelier. The beds were very comfortable. The recent renovation allowed for an adequate number of electric outlets to recharge phones and camera batteries. The room was air conditioned with its own controls and worked perfectly. In Room 405 the shower was in the bathtub which had quite high sides and was a bit difficult for me to get into and out of when using.
Breakfast time was the highlight of each day, and this is true whether you are in a standard room or a junior suite. That's because breakfast takes place on a spacious (compared to other hotels' tiny boardwalks on the Grand Canal, if they have even that) terrace where one can relax and enjoy the activity on the Grand Canal. To enjoy the terrace as we did in May under clear blue skies makes the high season rate for that time of year more than worthwhile. The routine for breakfast is to help oneself to the extensive choices of the buffet laid out just inside the hotel, which offers everything including eggs, and take one's plates outside to the terrace where the waiter will ask your preference for coffee or tea. Later in the day one can take drinks out on the terrace. The hotel is not of sufficient size to run a restaurant; so no lunch or dinner is served there. But one can always sit down and enjoy the sights. The terrace is, indeed, one very special place. There are few comparable experiences in all of Venice.
In sum, the accommodations are luxurious, the staff from the managers to the waiters are cheerful, professional, and helpful, all the rooms are glistening, the location is excellent, the prices are relatively reasonable for Venice,....well perhaps five stars out of five are not enough!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beaune
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 24 June 2010
Dear Friend,

thanks a lot for your very warm and detailed review! I really appreciate the time you spent to describe the hotel, its location (this is a very important thing!!!) and posting pictures.
I hope to welcome you again soon, warmest regards!

Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We have just returned from Venice and our stay at Hotel Palazzo Stern was marvelous. This is a beautiful hotel. We received a warm welcome and were shown to our double room which had a view to a stunning garden. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was nightly turndown service as well as a change of towels. The tasteful restoration of the Palazzo provided us with beautiful surroundings--for example, a large murano chandelier was part of the room decorm. The breakfast buffet was delicious and well presented: breads, croissants, a large variety of cheeses, hams, salamis, fruits, yoghurt, cereals, capuccino. We enjoyed breakfast on the terrace facing the Grand Canal.

Details such as free internet access as well as the vaporetto stop just outside the hotel added to our very comfortable stay.

Staff members were polite, formal and very helpful in giving us directions as to how to find sights and restaurants.

I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 18 June 2010
Dear Friend,

thank you for your feedback!

We all wait to welcome you again here, warmest regards!

Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at this lovely hotel for just one night (June 5) at the end of a 12-day Mediterranean Cruise. There could not have been a more perfect place to end our trip. We arrived at the hotel in the morning, since we had to be off the ship by 9 a.m. From the moment we arrived, we were impressed with the service at Palazzo Stern. This was our first time to Venice and we did not want to wander a maze of alleyways with our baggage, so we took the most direct (albeit costly) route--a water taxi directly to the hotel. Upon arrival, we were greeted immediately at the dock, and our bags were whisked away into storage for us. We were told our room was not yet ready (and we expected this, due to our early morning arrival), but we were provided with a walking map of Venice and given instructions to St. Mark square and other notable spots. Breakfast was being served on the hotel's terrace fronting the Grand Canal and we were invited to enjoy a complimentary breakfast. We thought this was a remarkable kindness, since we knew breakfast was included with the room, but it's generally understood that's after you've actually STAYED a night...not the morning you arrive!

Just happens that we are glass collectors so the first thing on our agenda that day was to visit Murano. After enjoying a light breakfast at the hotel and the lovely view on the canal, we asked how best to get to Murano, and were delighted to hear the hotel offers a complimentary water taxi to Murano each morning in connection with one of the glass factories. Once you get there, you are provided a demonstration of the glass-making technique and, of course, are expected to listen to a sales talk. But this worked fine for us, since we really were interested in the glass. For us, the complimentary trip to Murano was a nice bonus, saving us time having to figure out the vaporetto schedules (although the vaporetto stop is right next to the hotel, so it certainly doesn't get more convenient than that.)

When we got into our room that afternoon, it was beyond our expectations. Very large, even by U.S. standards, fronting the Grand Canal, and exquisitely decorated. Immaculately clean room and bathroom. Very nice bath amenities. Comfortable bed. Honestly, we loved this room and wished we could have made it our home base for much longer.

The location of the hotel was great. Directly on the Grand Canal, where we sat on the private hotel terrace with a drink and watched the canal traffic at sunset. Close to the Accademia Bridge, so it was easy to walk to the "heart" of the tourist area at St. Mark square, but far enough away from that craziness that we actually much preferred the less-crowded square, shops, and restaurants surrounding the hotel.

But here's what really topped off the Palazzo Stern experience for us. We had to leave the hotel at 4:30 a.m. the next morning to head to the airport for an early flight back to the U.S. The night before, we advised the hotel of our early departure and they arranged for a 4:30 a.m. water taxi for us. When we came down the next morning at 4:15 to check out, bleary-eyed, they had set up a small private table for us with coffee, juice and a selection of pastries for breakfast. We were NOT expecting them to provide breakfast to us at that time of the morning and were very impressed with this courtesy. This was truly a step beyond normal "hotel service."

My husband and I both work in the visitor industry in Hawaii, and, in fact, he manages a small beachfront hotel on Maui. As a result, we are rather particular in our expectations of hotels, when traveling, and we know a great hotel when we see one. This place exceeded our expectations in every way, and if we return to Venice we can't imagine another hotel that could possibly offer better location, ambiance, service, and rooms than this charming and elegant place. It was truly wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AluliPR
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 21 June 2010
Dear Friend,

thank you for your very kind feedback! I'm really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. But I'm more than happy to know that you really appreciated all those extra services that you usually don't find anywhere else.

I hope to welcome you again soon here in Venice, warmest regards!

toronto
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I had the great pleasure of staying at The Palazzo Stern for 3 nights. As soon as I left the train station and boarded Vaporetto #1, I felt like I was in a dream....and the dream continued as I arrived at the (so easy to find) Palazzo Stern. Ludovico greeted me, Fawzi brought me fresh orange juice, and I was shown to my incredibly beautiful room. All I did was stare at the furnishings, the amazing bathroom, the out-of-a film view of The Grand Canal from my room, and try not to pick up all the spectacular Murano glass pieces in my room!

The dream continued with a wonderful breakfast on the beautiful patio -- my cappucino, a copy of The International Herald Tribune and the sound of the water, vaporettos crusing by, and Venitian inhabitants heading off to work or visits with friends.

I wanted to stay out of the too busy and noisy San Marco Square area. I did a lot of research and was thrilled with my choice and experience at The Palazzo Stern. The location is within a few minutes walk to The Peggy Guggenheim Museum, The Accademia, the wonderful environment of the University, and the real experience of a Venetian neighborhood.

I did not want the dream to end.....enjoy and savor as soon as you can.

P.S. And I loved my bed and its comfort!!

Visitor/Toronto, Canada

Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank moetw
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 9 June 2010
I feel very lucky to live here in Venice, and when I read a feedback like yours I even feel more lucky!!!
I'm sorry that your dream is now finished, but now you discovered where we are and you also discovered that you will always be more than welcome here. You just have to jump in a flight to Venice!!!

I hope to see you soon again, have a nice day!!!