“Going back in time.”

Albergo al Gobbo
Ranked #238 of 385 Hotels in Venice
“Going back in time.”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The reason why I booked this hotel is, firstly, the location. The Santa Lucia Stazione is just 5 minutes walk from the hotel and you can also catch the Vaporetto nearby.
Secondly, the price is quite reasonable.
Here are my reasons why I gave this hotel a terrible review.
Room - very small, just enough space to put your luggage. The decor looks like dating back from 70s to 80s, and never been revamp. No tea/coffee making facilities. If you want tea or coffee, the owner will make it for you for 2.50 euro. The TV is very small and had a very poor reception - not that we spent a lot of time in our room. But my husband likes to unwind by watching television program.
The bathroom is also very small and basic.
Breakfast was included in price of the hotel. You get bread, jam, tea, coffee and juice. Not worth it! So, we decided to have McDonald's instead. At least you get value for your money.
The service is ok. The owner is helpful and does his best to accommodate your needs.
In summary, if you are looking for a cheap hotel and just a bed to sleep on, this hotel meet your needs. Otherwise find somewhere better. I should mention that this is a two star hotel.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 June 2013

It was late at night when my friend and I, two girls in our early twenties, found this hotel and decided to take it so we could get some sleep. The receptionist / owner Alessandro was there and at first his friendliness and discount on our room was a relief. Then his friendliness started to cross a line and his insistence to have a drink with us at 2am and his efforts to give us kisses and get us out of our room became extremely creepy. I have never written a review on a hotel before but this is to confirm that what other women have said in the past on here still holds true. We felt incredibly uncomfortable due to the receptionist and left the hotel the next morning.

Also, there was no toilet in our room and the shower was broken so we had to use a common one. This would have been fine but we never got to use it because it was never unoccupied.. Obviously we weren't the only ones without a shower.

The breakfast consisted of gross croissants and dry bread. The cappuccino was the only good part.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank JLind21

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This has to be one of the best value for money hotels in Venice. It's clean, tidy, located not too far from the train station but also in a nice town square (with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby).

The hotel is a little dated, the rooms are basic, but for the money, I don't think you can do much better in one of the world's most expensive cities to visit.

Please note that this is a small family run hotel, it's quite intimate. If you are used to Hiltons then you might find this experience a little bit more personal.

We read a few negative reviews of the staff at this hotel, and we were a little apprehensive. For us (a young married couple), we found the staff wonderfully friendly and professional. Reading the reviews, yes, perhaps it's not a good idea for young single girls who are not assertive to stay there, but for us, we found the hotel absolutely perfect and felt comfortable all round. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel is located at Campo San Geremia, which is about 10 minute walk from the bus station and 5 minutes from the train station and Ponte Scalzi. It's tucked in at the northern corner. We were met by Alessandro (Alex) and he was very welcoming, but in a polite and professional manner. We had no reservation but was giving a great room on the first floor with a view towards the square and the beautiful church.

Our room was quite large with a private bathroom. What surprised us was the cleanliness when we considered how little we payed compared to other places we've been too. In the morning we had continental breakfast at the hotel served by the cleaning staff which seemed to be two very efficient ladies. The breakfast was like any other continental breakfast and you had choice of coffee so I recommend espresso if you want a bit of strength.

We stayed 3 nights and we had no issues at all. The hotel was great and the staff was great. If in Venice on a budget, I would highly recommend it. Finally, wireless internet is included in the price which is a great bonus.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mattjeh
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I read some of the comments left by other women and I am a bit surprised, so I decided to write a review as well. :)
I am sorry if anyone had a bad experience, however I stayed in al Gobbo last year in May, when I was on a road-trip in Italy and everything was fine.
Stopping in Venice was a last minute decision (I was on a motorbike and on my own) heading for Treviso. I speak Italian, so perhaps it makes things easier. I asked for an inexpensive, but a clean and a safe place and Al Gobbo had it all. It was recommended to me by a receptionist in a hotel that was more expensive.
Depending on one's cultural background, Alessandro (the receptionist in al Gobbo) may seem a bit too friendly, which is pretty common for Italians, but my impression was that he was harmless. I concur he may suffer from Asperger's and it was noticeable right at the check-in.
I also accepted his invitation for an aperitivo and dinner in the neighboring restaurant, because I wanted to return the favor for a good accommodation price. Everything was OK, he was friendly and polite and just curious about where I was from and why I was travelling on a motorbike alone. I didn't feel uncomfortable and I don't think that I look scary or aggressive. :))
So to sum it up, I'd recommend this place to couples on budget or solo travelers who are looking for a last minute place to stay in and who want to be close to the train station, Piazzale Roma or 15-min away from Rialto.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank nyxacca
Watford UK
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We were quitting a disappointing expensive hotel (Chiara) and this seemed ideal: central, cheap, spotless. Alessandro is rather 'effusive', and I wish i hadn't invited him to my room to check the TV, but he was easily pushed away. My female cousin and I had a single room each, and were very comfortable. We were fairly convinced Alessandro has Asberger's, rather than being really menacing, but if you're worried and not feisty, be warned.
Breakfast was simple but ok, bread and jam, but for the price and position, it was fine. I'd use it again - but with my husband!
Restaurant downstairs was good but expensive, and the waiter there took a persistent shine to my cousin! And we are 2 ladies in our fifties!! What a visit!

Room Tip: Rooms at front above restaurant, but quiet if you close shutters and windows. Rooms at back overlook...