“Great stay - probably better if you get a suite”

Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande
Ranked #22 of 386 Hotels in Venice
“Great stay - probably better if you get a suite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great weekend away to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary at this boutique hotel in Venice. We found it hard to choose a hotel & picked this because it seemed modern yet luxurious. It lived up to our high expectations but for us it might not have been good value for money because we were out so much.

After reading other reviews, we arrived and left by a shared water taxi pre-booked with Venice-Link which is cheaper for a couple. The hotel provides a good map that we used throughout our stay so it's not hard to find the hotel and other places once checked in. Our room on the ground floor faced the small canal - a novelty at first but noisy in the mornings. The room was as nicely decorated as the pictures on the website. Bathroom was good; with the rain shower powerful and refreshing but the room was too dark for my husband who struggled to shave properly. The bathroom tv thing didn't work but we didn't care. Location is great - away from the tourist crowds but not too far from St Marks square (about 20-30 mins walk) or Vaporetto stop (3 mins walk). There's a nice square nearby with the St Pantalon church (amazing ceiling painting), GROM for fresh gelato and some shops including a supermarket. Also not far from the student area (Campo St Margharita) so some cool bars and restaurants nearby.

It's probably worth upgrading to a grand canal view if you can - we didn't and we didn't see much of it from the hotel itself. The balcony in the bar is brilliant but only seats 2 people - we had an afternoon drink there and loved it. I asked if we could have breakfast there one morning (in advance at reception) and I was told we couldn't. Maybe because we were leaving early that morning for the airport? I don't know the reason but I think it was be good if the hotel allowed guests to book slots on the balcony for breakfast. Be aware that if you book a regular room you probably won't be able to see much of the grand canal from your room or for breakfast - that's what made us wonder about value for money. Other than that concierge/reception were really helpful with suggesting restaurants, providing directions, confirming taxi's...

• Stayed June 2014
PalazzoBarbarigo, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Mrs Sheenavit,
Thank you for helping us: we are doing big efforts to keep and to increase the reputation of Palazzo Barbarigo.
We don’t use to reserve the balcony to avoid misunderstandings between guests and between guests and staff: as you wrote “The balcony in the bar is brilliant but only seats 2 people” and , unfortunately, it will never become a terrace!
We hope that, one day, you will come back and enjoy a Junior suite overlooking the Gran Canal, who knows?

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Philadelphia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I love the romantic charm of this boutique hotel. We were able to upgrade our room to the executive suite just before we arrived :) We enjoyed breakfast on the balcony reserved for us each morning and then cocktails in the evenings ~ a birds-eye view of the Grand Canal in action away from the mass crowds of people was spectacular. The location of this hotel is perfect ~ we could reach everything on foot no problem. It's as to easy to find a place off the beaten path for cicchetti and ombre, yet close enough to be in the center of it all within 2 minutes of walking. While we love the sexy sleek design of the bathroom, we don't love how it sacrifices utility. I would recommend taking the taxi to the hotel from the airport, it's such a great way to enjoy rolling into the city built on water! We enjoyed the hotel and it's location very much, it was the romantic setting we were looking for. Thank You.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive suite if you can swing it in the budget
1 Thank Karen D
Hotelphilosophy, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Mrs Karen,

First of all a great thank you!
As all our guests you have undergone the fascination of Palazzo Barbarigo, that you perfectly describe it: “Unique & romantic”.
We all hope that, one day, you will renew your Venetian experience.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Although I had caught a shocking chest infection in Rome I refused to let it stop me in beautiful Venice. I had been wanting to return and experience this unique city once more
so just had to keep going, coughing my lungs out as I went!

My room was on a side canal which I loved - I could open my window (always a plus for me)
and loved watching the passing boats and activities and listening to an occasional gondolier serenading his passengers.
The bed was so comfortable with spotless white linen and lovely cosy doonas.
Everything was very clean.
The breakfast was huge and delicious and a great start for a busy day of walking.

Christian was charming and helpful on the front desk and all the other staff were very pleasant.

Like other reviewers I was very pleased I arrived by water taxi.
Apart from the fact I really enjoy travelling on the glamorous wooden speed boats and
taking in all the sights as you glide along the canals - where else can you do this, I ask?

NB It is well worth the 55 euros from the railway station and 120 euros when I departed for the airport which is actually quite a long and most enjoyable boat ride across the lagoon.
These fares included tips.
Sit out in the front cabin with the driver if the weather is nice and look on it as a sight seeing cruise.

Yes, the back lane seems confusing, but once you take a photo to record the exit and get your bearings it is quite easy and seemed perfectly safe at all hours of the day, even for a woman on her own as I was.
After all this is Venice and that is the way things are!

My only negative would be the dark bathroom - sleek and sexy maybe, but totally impractical
as there was no where to store things and the lighting is so dim I had to put my makeup on over by the bedroom window.
As a constructive criticism I think the management should forget the completely gimmicky
TV screen in the bathroom mirror and place a slim line cupboard behind for toiletries and install decent lighting. Someone before me had damaged the overhead light (probably in frustration!) and it was not fixed during my stay.

Apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Barbarigo and really liked exploring this area of Venice away from the Rialto and crowds, but still close enough to walk everywhere.

Have an aperitif on the tiny balcony overlooking the Grande Canal at dusk and think how wonderful Venice - and life - is ...

I would recommend the hotel and would stay there again.
Hope I can return some day (without the coughing attacks!!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Jojolovestotravel,

What a beautiful and useful review!
We are proud of it and we will surely consider your suggestions regarding the lightning in the bathrooms.
All our staff want to thank you and hope to see you again!
Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We wanted a special hotel for my wife's 50th. We wanted a small, friendly boutique hotel on the grand canal yet in a quiet area and central to everything. This hotel is perfect. Impossible (almost!) to find from the streets so treat your self to a water taxi that stops right outside the hotel. The welcome is so warm and friendly. The bar area perfect and especially if you grab a drink on the balcony. The rooms are dark but very modern unlike so much of the Venice glitz. It makes a great change. Convenient to the water bus and you can easily walk everywhere. Great local restaurants. The breakfast is continental and very generous...a choice of cereal or yogurts on occasions would have been nice. The staff are so helpful. We will return!

Room Tip: No swimming pool or gym. Treat yourself to a junior suit facing the grand canal. It's well wort...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotelphilosophy, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Mr. Simon,

First of all a great thank you!.
We are so happy when our hotel fulfils our guest’s expectations.
We look forward to welcome you and your wife for your next 100 birthdays! (at Palazzo Barbarigo or at our properties in Milan and in Sardinia)
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My Wife and I are 1st timers in Venice. We were not disappointed with our hotel choice.
Everything was clean, clean, clean, not a spec of dust anywhere. The staff was friendly and accommodating beyond our expectations. Would definitely stay there again....great location.

PS: take water taxi from airport to hotel. Makes finding it that much easier and puts the final touches on the trip

Dear Mr. Mike,

It has been a pleasure for us to host you.
Your feedback proof our continuous effort to give to our guests not only a great location but also the highest quality.
So to receive a review entitled “Worth Every Penny”!
Thank you very much!
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

A wonderfully classy palazzo to boutique hotel conversion. All black marble and velvet may be a bit to boudoir for some, but it was undeniably classy. You do admittedly pay for this classy-ness.

The hotel is not simple to find from the back alleyways. As others say, it is far from impossible, but if you are shelling out on this hotel, it is worth shelling out the extra 110 Euro for a water taxi from the airport. It makes your arrival completely hassle free, and great fun. Arriving in Venice by water is magical.

Our room was of ample size although not massive. Bed was very comfortable. Room well kept and maintained. Lovely bathroom with an excellent shower.

The one table on the balcony overlooking the grand canal is worth seeking out in the morning to sit and watch the boats go by when it gets the sun or in the evening to enjoy a Spritz (9 Euro, around 3 times the price of the small bars round Rialto, so done do it every night) or Prosecco (better value at 6 Euro).

Breakfast is lovely with a selection of pastries, meat, cheese and fruit.

The hotel is in a great location, not just for watching life on the grand canal but is close to most of the excellent chichetterias near Rialto on foot.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marc B
Hotelphilosophy, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Marc B

You wrote a very nice and accurate review that exactly describe your experience at Palazzo Barbarigo: we really appreciated and we thank you very much!
We want to give to our guests high quality in all respects, including the bar, that's why our Spritz is not the same you can find in the touristic bars, as the Prosecco or any kind of beverage and snacks.

Billericay, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Well after everyone saying you would never find it from the paths and you would need to get a water taxi we found it with ease! My advice is to either use google maps on your phone or print it out before you leave. We found it first time. It is down a very long alley way that turns twice but it is exactly where google shows it as being. The hotel is beautiful and the staff were very helpful and accommodating. I would be very happy to stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PDHerring
Dear Mr & Mrs Herring,

thank you very much for your useful review, it testify that, thanks to the web, is not too hard to join Palazzo Barbarigo!