“Perfection on a plate”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castello
Description: Since 1984 this venetian family is running the Hostaria da Franz, here the quality of the local product are suggested respecting the tradition but with a gourmet twist. The wine list has very rare gems from the best italians labels. The ambience is very romantic and elegant but not formal.
Reviewed 24 November 2015

I visit Venice once or twice a year. No trip would be complete without at least one meal at Da Franz. We were a party of 6. We were never rushed. We are at a civilsed pace. Every item from first anti pasta to last piece of cheese expertly explained, stunningly prepared and expertly cooked and served. This is the perfect Venetian experience. Its all here including the best local seasonal produce and beautiful local wine.
Grazie Maurizio and all the team - you are stars. We appreciate everything that you do.

1  Thank SustainableJohn

Reviewed 19 November 2015

Superb in every respect....Bravo Maurizio! Wonderful food, service, attention to detail....All staff went the extra mile. We are fortunate to have eaten in top restaurants around the world and it will be a long time before memories of such a lovely evening, begin to fade.

1  Thank Patricia_362
Reviewed 11 November 2015

I eat in many places in London and Europe and I think it is quite refreshing to find an owner of a restaurant so passionate about his business, I notice a lot of people criticizing the way Maurizio describes the menu and his antics, what they have failed to mention is that he also offers you a written menu as well, so why didn't they take that option? I found everything exceptional and when I said I liked two of the starters the kitchen actually prepared me a starter including both options, you don't get that in many restaurants. The food and wine was exceptional, I ordered a reasonably priced wine of the menu and it was fantastic, I found the bill to be very reasonable and a lot less than an equivalent meal in the hotel we were staying in (Hotel Danieli) to be honest I cannot fault the place and I don't really understand where some of the other reviews come from, maybe they are more akin to eating in a harvester or Burger King where you get fast food, pictures and prices on the menu!!!

3  Thank brianr956
Reviewed 10 November 2015

We have been dining at Da Franz every two years going back at least a decade but unfortunately it has lost its charm especially in contrast with when it was located on a canal near the Giardini. The crudite (raw fish) antipasto was quite good but the Spaghetti Vongole and a marinated sea bass were both unexceptional, with the sea bass not tasting especially fresh (or perhaps overcooked). Service while friendly was exceptionally slow (and we are not pushy fast eaters). We have crossed Da Franz off of our Venice list.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

We asked our concierge for a restaurant serving good, simple, tasty Italian food but this was not it. The Maitre d'Hotel clearly sees it as his role to describe the menu with some theatricality to each set of diners but this is a longwinded process which dominates the room and delays the food. The bread rolls were very doughy and my black rice, prawn and porcini starter was small, though quite tasty; likewise the sea bass, marinated in citrus with herbs. We left the restaurant, still somewhat hungry, after the main course which had taken an hour and a half to appear. We could not wait any longer. If you like an emphasis on presentation and do not mind the wait, then this may be for you but it was not what we were looking for.

1  Thank Goodfoodscout1