“A Financial Nightmare”

Venice Certosa Hotel
Ranked #221 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Before the negatives, let me begin by stating how much we enjoyed our time at the Certosa Hotel. As I'm sure you know, it is located on the quiet island of Certosa and is perfect to get away from the hustle and bustle (and occasional flooding) of Venezia.

The hotel is very clean and appears well maintained throughout. Our room was spacious and contained a large bed which was absolutely fine for a couple of nights. A PC is available free of charge so that you can book those all important Gondola rides; a must! Overall, we were very pleased with the accommodation as a whole.

However, financially, it was an absolute nightmare. We booked through booking.com, used a debit card (yes, I know) and were given the option of payment choice on checkout. I selected cash. I was extremely frustrated to see that a pre-authorisation check for 95€ was made on made account a week prior to arrival. I asked the hotel to cancel this and it puts a block on the funds in your account; they denied. Coincidentally, this block was put on prior to the expiration of my free cancellation period. I was clearly not happy. An acknowledgment of some sort or a request would be expected but this was not the case.

Skip forward a week... we checked out and paid the bill. I was told that the per authorization would be cancelled. Arrived home, checked my bank two days later and guess what? That's right, still down 95€.

A lengthy conversation with the bank reveals that the only people to cancel this are the hotel. So, back on the phone making another international call to the hotel... they state that they will cancel it and send a confirmation email. No apology, nothing. Simply, not acceptable.

An absolute shame as it ruined what was otherwise an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Hotels for us are places to spend the night. After running around Venice and La Biennale we like to enter a room where it is quiet and with a good service. The service is great: all wishes were granted without delay or discussion. Also the free night service from the main island to Certosa was much appreciated. It also allows to meet other guests and exchange experiences.
The room itself is designed in an odd way: this leads to a very, very small shower. The toilet was leaking and the space between the bed and wall is 30 centimeters. The modern design is quite nice on the plus side.
We found that this gives you value for your money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel is pleasant and modern. The area is empty though and the Island undergoing major redevelopment, sad given that it is a wooded Island just off from San Marco. I was here for work, and despite having a desk in the room, the wifi didn't reach the second floor. No lift either which may effect some guests.

Otherwise it is nice enough, just not sure why one would stay here out of choice with Venice a short trip over the water. They do run shuttles at night from the marina to bring you back, although I rang the hotel phone and it was switched off. Fortunately the shuttle bus driver had his mobile on.....

Breakfast pleasant on the outside lawns, though wifi didn't work their either. Only worked in the bar area and front lawns.

The 4.2 and 4.1 run to Certosa every 15 minutes until 8.00pm at 15 mins, 35mins and 55mins. You have to press the button to set the light so they stop. It is on the airport - San Marco route so well connected.

Room Tip: Room numbers indicate floor - so pick a low number for the first floor, especially if you need to wo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have now been here twice - once in late Fall and July 2013 and we love it. As has been mentioned, it is not on the beaten track. If you want to step out your hotel door and be in the center of the action, this is not for you. But it is only a beautiful 20 minute boat ride away from San Marco Square. It is very quiet. There is a lovely room on the second floor with comfortable chairs and a computer. There is a bar downstairs with good panini, drinks and ice cream, and the restaurant is very good, with service outside in a lovely covered setting. Breakfast is included and is also very good. We arrived the day before Festa del Redentore, a huge Venetian holiday and decided to avoid the center and the potential transportation mess. Sabrina at the front desk arranged a bicycle rental at Punta Sabbione and we spent the day biking through the wetlands past family farms of fruit and vegetables, eating lunch at an Agroturismo. That night we watched the incredible fireworks from the Certosa dock. if you want something a little different, this is a great option. They could not have been more helpful.

Room Tip: Most rooms are for two people, but, as we were traveling with our young adult daughter, we found tha...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank antoniaCalifornia
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife, our son and I were in Venice for about week, the hottest week of the mounth august (36C). Luckely we stayed in the Venice Certosa Hotel wich is on an airy island, just one Vaporeto-stop away from Venice city. The hotel has a spacious garden (very unique in Venice), a big terrace for the bar and a big terrace for the restaurant. Great and quiet places to take a breather after a visit to the crowded city.

The staff is extremely helpfull, no effort is too much for Costanza, Sabrina or Adriaan. Thank you all for your hospitality.
We were happy with our (aircon)room wich could easely fit the three of us. Personaly I wass glad it was not decorated in Venetian style, I liked the modern and clean interior of the room.
I enjoyed the breakfast a lot. Fresh fruit, yoghurt, croissants, bread, cereals,... And great capuccino. I suppose if you prefere an English breakfast, you might be dissapointed.

But for us, it was great, we had a fine vacation. In the near future - I was been told - there will an outdoor pool to at the Certosa Hotel. That would complete the picture, most certainly on hot days in august.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Our overall experience was great. I agree with most of the previous reviews regarding the quietness of the Hotel compared to the rest of busy Venice. Especially when it is as hot as last week (August 2013) it is very convenient to sit on a big hotel terrace in the evening with some winds and fresh air. I also would like to add that the prices at the hotel bar (snacks and drinks) are very reasonable for Venice and for the fact that this Hotel is even more remotely situated. The boat shuttle after 8pm always worked fine.

Two minor comments/criticisms:
* The reservation of booking.com states a fridge in the room, which was not the case for our room (20)
* The door of a room of a friend travelling with us was not closed after the maid cleaned the room. The room remained open until we arrived back from dinner in the late evening. Nothing was stolen and the staff apologized, however something like that should not happen.
Anyway, I would come back to this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

very kindly personal, it was very funny to talk to the man on the reception/ bar in the evening... nice rooms, good breakfast, coffee and dinner. thank you so much. also for secretly buying a birthdaycake for my friendgirl and the prosecco in the bed :-) we liked it and will come again to Venice Certosa Hotel. K&F

Room Tip: we had john lennon pictures in our room, but don't know the exactly name of the room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank matti2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Venice
Hotel Villa Mabapa
Pensione Guerrato
#151 of 387 in Venice
Alexander Hotel
#210 of 387 in Venice

Been to Venice Certosa Hotel? Share your experiences!