“Lovely gem of a place”

Ranked #64 of 1,611 Restaurants in Venice
Neighbourhood: San Polo
Neighbourhood: San Polo
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We went for a late dinner here last night. I only called 10 minutes before and they happily accommodated us.

I love how relaxed, homely and unpretentious the place was. The staff were warm and welcoming.

The food was beautiful. Fresh, authentic and delicious.

We felt guilty after realising we stayed well past their closing time but didn't feel rushed at all.

My only regret is that we didn't eat here until the night before our flight home, so didn't have time for another meal.

bacarrettobistrot, Proprietario at Bacarretto Bistrot. Il Siciliano, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Ciao Teera,
What a pleasure to read your words.
No rush at Bacarretto, and we are really happy to guest our clients also if late.
Better to say no instead of let you come and make your dinner a race against time!
Your rewievs includes all the things we hope our guests could feel at Bacarretto!
We love to know you spent a good time with us.
No regret, just hope to see you again, so...call Bacarretto maybe!
Grazie mille Teera.
Marco

Reviewed 1 June 2018

This restaurant was a total fail for me and my family. We arrived on time for our reservation and were quickly seated. Took a while to have our order taken, but to be fair it was prime time and it appeared that they had recently seated a number of tables. Starters were tasty, but small. We ordered 3 of the same pasta dish. Only 2 came out and were cold. They later brought out the 3rd dish, which was similarly cold. We also ordered the eggplant parm and steak. The eggplant was rather small for a main course. The biggest disappointment was the steak. The menu stated a T-bone steak, but what was brought to my table was clearly a sirloin. A T-bone has a bone in it that separates the strip from the filet. There was no such bone and the steak was tough and terribly undercooked for the medium rare that I ordered. I sent it back to be cooked more, and it again came out rare. I eventually returned the rare, tough, non t-bone steak, largely uneatened and left to get pizza. Having traveled in Italy for nearly 2 weeks and with this being my final meal before leaving, I can confidently say this was not the experience I was expecting from the glowing reviews. Our party of 5 all agreed this likely was the most disappointing food we ate during our travels.

bacarrettobistrot, Proprietario at Bacarretto Bistrot. Il Siciliano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Ciao HongKongLarry,
Of course you are not the only one having a bad experience at Bacarretto. Unfortunatly we are humans, and it could happens to do some mistake!
That evening i was cooking and The steak you had was undercooked and you not paid it.
You did not pay also the third pasta you had later then the other two.
Of course this is not a solution but it’s something to say i’m sorry.
Last but not least, the t bone was a t bone, i don’t understand what are you saying about it.
i Admitted my mistakes, do you think i can allow to have problems with my products?
If you asked to me i could show you the delivery note of the butcher.
This is a defamation.
Marco

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

When we first arrived at about 1945 hrs there was one other couple but by 2100 hrs Italians had arrived. Pasta with aubergines excellent. Ask explanations of dishes of the day they are worth it. Very good service. 77 Euros for 2 excl tip

Reviewed 18 May 2018

Small restaurant with excellent but limited menu. The chef visited with everyone and made it feel as though he was cooking just for us. Be sure to make a reservation!

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

I love everything about this restaurant.

It is modern but cosy. Run by a friendly helpful English speaking Sicilian family. The ceiling is decorated with drawings of the children whom the owner teaches.

The food is outstanding with good wine. The menu changes every night. I had an amazing carbonara where the bacon was substituted by smoked tuna. The arancini are delicious and I went to heaven with the cannoli.

It is tucked away but you will find it easily with Google Maps. This place is worth finding.

On top of all the above, this is the best value meal I have ever eaten in Venice - not at all expensive.