“Steaks with a view”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Polo
Reviewed 7 August 2014

There were three of us and after 2 weeks of eating pasta, we all ordered steaks! They all turned out good. Deserts were also good.
The restaurant was a close walk from the bridge and under cover out front.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This place gave me one of my worst restaurant experiences.

SEATING DISCRIMINATION: Walking by with my boyfriend I saw an empty table next to the beatiful river, so I asked this waiter we could have the daily menu of 24 euro. The waiter said yes but subsequently lead us to a two person table on the street side, saying that we could not sit at a 4-person table by the water being just the two of us. So we sat down on a table by the busy street-side hardly being able to relax because it was so busy with people walking by. Not 5 minutes later an ITALIAN COUPLE was seated at that table by the water. When we left almost all 4-person tables by the water were occupied by couples, I felt really discriminated against. The waiter that directed us to our seats was actually not waiting tables but overseeing the place like a mafioso kingpin and treating foreign customers horribly. Moreover was the service slow an unpersonal.

FOOD: The menu consisted of a three-course meal, starting with an small pile of overcooked fish stew that had actually some flavor, however, it was covered indry and raw Julienne-cut carrots, which succeeded in spoiling the dish completely. The main course should have been a steak because filet Mignon was written on the menu. In stead we received not cow but two little medalions of pork filet. The sauce was tastless and the handfull of baked potatos were the best thing on that plate. The grand finally consisted of 4 'biscotto' (plain dry cookies that are normally served with coffee) with an inspireless pre-fab thuft of whipped cream. I suspect that everything is pre-cooked, badly reheated and thrown together on a cold plate for service.

TOILET: The one positive thing I can mention is that the door of the toilet was held open for me by kitchen staff. The bathroom did not have any toilet paper so I had to use the paper handtowels which did not flush very comfortably down the toilet. Once I washed my hands I noticed that there was no trashcan so I threw them on top of the others in the toilet. When I left I saw the trashcan located outside (!) of the bathroom, such a waste... although I cannot feel bad about having caused a blockage.

BILL: The restaurant advertises with not having cover charge, but they did charge a euro extra on the bill for some reason... although it is not much, since I had never seen this it feels a bit hypocritical. I think that the location of this place is what prevents it from going bankrupt, however, there is literaly nothing left of the romantic-Venice illusion when you are not seated near the water!!! We did not leave a tip.

5  Thank Anke O
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped for lunch after trip on vaporetto from Pl Roma, to San Marco and walked across CD Fabri back to canal. Staff very courteous, table next to canal. Drinks order taken promptly while we perused menus . Ordered two pizzas, salmon salad and spaghetti pomodoro. All served after a short time , quality excellent, no negative points. Tomato sauce amazing.Asked re WiFgiven laminated card with code and worked very well

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Absolutely FLAWLESS meal and service from Maurizio and his GREAT team at the restaurant. 50 metres from the world-famous Rialto, what more could you ask for??? NOTHING too much trouble, no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this restaurant MOST highly, for any special function.
Absolutely first class. This was a wedding "breakfast" served after my daughter's wedding, which happened at 2:00 on 11th June 2014, right across the Canale Grande, at the Sala di Matrimoni, Pallazo di Cavalli, and was was hugely in excess of all of my guests expectations.

1  Thank consultantphil
Reviewed 18 June 2014

In a very crowded section of Venice we had a nice respite, eating traditional Italian food. There is lots of glass works in the area, and the restaurant itself also has an interesting chandelier of glass. The waiters vie a little bit for attention, but the food is great, and sitting next to the canal is of great interest and activity during an entire meal.