“Most spectacular and elegant apartment in Venice”
other travellers have booked this property
Living Room Living Room
La Corte Gregolina
Palazzo entrance
Apartment entrance
Breakfast at the terrace
View from the living room
Living room
Open space living room
Another area of the living room
Dining room
Studio
Scala Leonardesca
kitchen
Guests room
Room N0. 1 with queen size bed
Room No. 1
Room No. 1
View of the canal from the room
Bedroom No.1 in suite bathroom with tub
Bedroom No. 2
Bedroom No. 2
View of the canal from bedroom No.2
Bedroom N0. 2 in suite bathroom with tub and shower
Bedroom No. 3
Bedroom No. 3 with insuite bathroom
Another view from the windows
View from the windows
The apartment view from the canal
The palazzo view from the canal.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
mercedesp...
Community of Madrid, Spain
“Most spectacular and elegant apartment in Venice”
Reviewed 4 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

In a beautiful and quiet cul-de-sac in Venice hides this amazing top floor apartment on a gorgeous XVI century palazzo right behind Piazza San Marcos.
The apartment is very elegantly decorated with spacious, conformable and beautiful bedrooms all overlooking the canals.
The cathedral bells, the gondoliers singing and the humming birds are the main sounds while you enjoy the sunroof terrace drinking bellinis and admiring the spectacular view of the campanile.
The owner gave us great tips on where to eat and what to see in town and the housekeeper was kind an helpful.
Definitely Residenza san Marcos was the most extraordinary venetian experience which I highly recommend.

17 Jul 2017
Thanks so much for your nice review, I'm really happy that you enjoyed and apreciate our place, please come back soon!
LeniLeona
Miami fl
“Extraordinary”
Reviewed 3 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

A unique place in the heart of Venice, in a hidden ally away from all the chaos lays Residenza San Marco, a beautiful building surrounded by the unique canals of Venice and just a few steps from Piazza San Marco.
The two leveled apartment is wonderful, the first floor having 3 bedrooms with their own personal bathroom and each having their own view of the canals. As you head upstairs you are guided by a espectacular staircase that leads into the living room, which consist of an even greater space, with a studio, piano, kitchen, and even more windows with spectacular views. Not to mention Emma, the housekeeper, was great and provided us with all the help we needed.
Saving the best for last, upstairs you will find this little door which will lead you to a little terrace on the roof where you will find yourself standing over the streets of Venice having a full 360° view over all the houses and even Plaza San Marcos!! Definitely the best place to have a Bellini and stay in!

6 Jul 2017
Hi Leni, Thank you so much for your nice review, I'm really happy that you liked it and enjoyed it so much. I hope you come back in the near future.
James J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a very stunning view and less stunning service. Deplorable condition”
Reviewed 25 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

I realize there have been some very good reviews on this web site and those views may have been relevant when the owner was more involved in the property. However, Katyna now lives on the West Coast of the United States and has left the property in the hands of an Asian (i.e. non-Venetian) cleaning woman who has no sense of customer service or hospitality whatsoever. The apartment was in poor condition an numerous fronts and Emma, the housekeeper was truly unconcerned.

This review is based on a three night visit by a family of two parents and four young people in their 20's in June 2017.

The deficiencies in this property might be forgivable at a few hundred Euros per night. However, this property is at the same price point as beautiful palazzos available from Viewsonvenice.com and other high-end providers. Ironically, there is a sign posted in the entryway attesting to the commitment of the host to provide five-star service when anything but that is offered for over $1000 a night. The deficiencies are too numerous to mention, but here are some of them:

1. The apartment is 80 steps up from the street level. The staircase is in bad repair. As you enter the entryway at night and turn on the light, the rats (big brown furry ones) run for cover.

2. There is a wheelchair-type staircase lift that is supposed to help bring luggage, etc. up to the apartment. Emma could not make it work at all and did not give us access to the key.

3. There is no housecleaning available once you are checked in. You get two thin, small bath towels per person for your stay and THAT IS IT. A bunch of cheap soaps, measuring 1.5 x 2.5 inches are provided, inferior in quality to the cheapest motel in the USA. No extra rolls of toilet paper are available from Emma either.

4. There is no welcome walk-through. Certainly no greeting, can I pour you some coffee, let us show you the property. Emma is completely unhelpful in arranging for taxis or anything else. She tells you to walk to the Rialto (10 min away) with your luggage to get a taxi to the airport. In fact (if after reading this you rent anyway) the hotel Splendid around the corner has a dock and can call a water taxi.

5. More than 1/2 the light bulbs in the apartment were burned out.

6. The electrical system is a nightmare. Turn on the dishwasher and the oven at the same time and the breaker trips.

7. The appliances are antiquated. The igniters on the stove failed long ago, so there is a manual igniter and a very scary fireball each time you light a burner. The freezer failed entirely. Katyna's concern extended only to "check the breakers." These appliances are more than 15 years old and long past their useful life.

8. The downstairs A/C is adequate, although one room has a floor-standing unit that's pretty loud and ugly. The upstairs A/C is a joke. The upstairs floor is a converted attic with zero insulation (you are looking at the underside of the roof tiles) so you can imagine what that's like on a 95 degree day. There is one wall unit upstairs that is adequate for a space 1/5 the size of the upstairs space, if it was reasonably insulated. there is no ventilation whatsoever in the kitchen, which is also upstairs.

9. the circular stairs connecting the floors are a death trap without railings. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN OF ANY AGE TO THIS APARTMENT or anybody who is infirm in the least.

10. The terrace is a death trap, accessed via an attic window.

11. There is no water pressure in the master shower.

12. The views are somewhat interesting, but far from the best in Venice. You can look down on a picturesque canal and one window has a view of the Moors hitting the bell in St. Mark's Square.

13. Katyna's response to my communication of some of the most pressing issues above is that her property is a "real Venetian home," and not a "rental property," so I should treasure the inconvenience.

13. This could be a decent property, although far inferior to VoV properties at the same price IF:

a. Katyna again takes an interest in guest experience and hires a manager who will care about guest experience.

b. Katyna decides to provide regular cleaning, adequate linens, towels, and toilet paper.

c. Katyna decides to replace the old appliances and provide adequate AC upstairs.

d. Katyna decides to replace the burned out lightbulbs and maintain the property to some semblance of a high end standard.

e. Katyna decides to live up to her written pledge of a five star experience.

f. Guests arrive prepared to get in their aerobic exercise climbing up to the apartment and are happy to look past the rats on the way there.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
17 Jul 2017
Hi James,

I am truly sorry your experience at Residenza San Marco was not a pleasant one. I try my best and strive to give excellence and great comfort to all my guests. We really appreciate feedback and take it very seriously and measures have been taken to ensure no other guest has an experience similar to yours in our property.

Emma no longer works for us, and she has been replaced by a Venetian man with better sense of costumer service, hospitality, house keeping and with much more enthusiasm than Emma. So all your comments regarding her, have now been taken care of.

However, I would like to address some of your comments regarding the property.

1. Yes, the apartment is 80 steps up from street level, and since it is located in a palazzo that was built over six hundred years ago the stairs are antique, yet totally safe.
2. In 160 years our family has owned this property we have never had rat issues, but Venice is a city built on a lagoon and the palazzo is right on the water, so yes it is possible that exceptionally an animal is seen on the alleys leading to the building.
3. We offer on the site daily house cleaning, it has an additional cost, but you did not request it.
If you would have requested more towels, there would have been absolutely no issue providing you with that, included in the rental price.
4. I send to all my guests information on how to go to and from the airport or the train station in addition to a detailed list of restaurants and bars, food markets - amongst which the amazing Rialto Market - and all kinds of sightseeing tips in Venice. I also encourage all my guests not to hesitate in contacting me if they have any questions and I pride myself in being quick and accurate in answering any kind of concern.
5. As I suggested, the problem with the appliances and the freezer not working was in fact, the breakers. All appliances work fantastically and are 3 years old but you caused a black out by turning on all the air conditioning in the apartment, the oven, the washing machine and the dryer. You also broke the refrigerator because you started fiddling with all the bottons without reaching out to me for assistance. After you caused the black out and the big fridge was not working, you moved everything in the kitchen and took a small fridge that we have as a jolly, moved it out of its place and plugged it in a circuit that was not planned for it. I do not believe it is acceptable to shift appliances in a rental apt from site A to B at whim just because you find it more convenient: you plugged a 20 Amp equipment in an 7,5 Amp plug! This made everything worst!
6. Venice can get very hot in the summer, and my family and I can not stand heat, that is why we make extra sure that the entire apartment is chilly enough to relax after a long day of walking in Venice. The problem goes back to the black out you caused: by turning on all of the appliances at the same time, you broke the upstairs air conditioning, and it was a big issue repairing it since in Venice most things are very complicated to get done. I am very surprised you brought this up since I was kind enough not to make you pay for the damages regarding thee fridge and the air conditioning.
7. The crossing stairs are an example of Leonardesche Stairs - see Wikipedia for reference- originally planned by Leonardo da Vinci as a way to save space by placing two stairs of two separate buildings in a single stairwell.The circular stairs connecting the two floors are an art piece created by the great architect Franco D'Ayala Valva, who trained and worked at lenght with Frank Lloyd Wright to showcase this fine example of architecture. Obviously, the stairs are approved by the Planning and by the Building and Safety Departments of the City of Venice. We have had kids of all ages in this apartment and my daughters grew up in it. We have NEVER had an accident of any kind with people of ANY age.
9. The terrace is not a terrace, it's an "Altana" (see Wiki): a wooden terrace deck that has been a fixture atop Venetian roofs for over a millennium. It is not accessed by a window but by a regular glass door situated in the higher part of the apartment.
10. The water pressure in the master shower has been fixed.
11. Again, the views from the apartment are clearly shown in the pictures posted on the website which you must have seen before renting with us. The apartment has unique 360 views of all of Venice and you forgot to mention that the large window you refer to when talking about the Moors also has a breathtaking view of the San Marco bell tower. But to each his opinion.
12. I NEVER said you should treasure the inconvenience, what I said is that you rented an antique place in an antique palazzo and that some things can not be changed (the stairs for example).

On the other hand, i need to point out that you are a terrible guest: a) you never complied with your duty to deliver a copy of your family members' and your passport, this request is not my choice but it's Italian law; b) you refused to pay the City Tax as clearly stated in the website - to become a thief for a paltry $2.00 per person per day is really miserable; c) your racist remarks regarding our employee define your approach to life, not her or her competence - and probably were reflected in your approach to her; d) your family left our house a pigsty with trash thrown everywhere and a terrible rancid sweaty smell all over the house.

Overall I think you rented a place that has nothing to do with the experience you wanted to have. You were looking for an Americanized version of Venice, which you can find in Las Vegas without having to cross the ocean.

Venice is a city with age, and with age come wrinkles.
Thanks to your feedback, we have treasured your suggestions to provide an enhanced customer experience. However, I do stand my ground on the fact that the beauty of Venice is its history and what we offer is a real Venetian home, not some modernized fake version of it.
Mariel G
“A dream became real!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2017 for a stay in September 2016

I had the enormous pleasure of staying in Venezia and Rome during the month of September 2016 in two beautiful places that I leased from a wonderful lady named Katyna and I owe to her to make this commentary because she was such an excellent hostess and her places were so perfectly prepared that I feel this is the least I can do for her.
The accommodations were perfect in every way both in Venezia and Rome , the location, the attention from Dexter her butler in Rome, the view to the San Marcos piazza in Venezia, etc.
Everything was perfect and we just couldn't find anything that would dissatisfied us.
I qualify this vacation as the most memorable in my life and I will do my best to return again to Katyna's world of elegance, class and distinction as soon as my busy agenda allows me to do it.
Most sincerely.

María

22 May 2017
Dear mariel, thanks so much for choosing us. I'm really happy tht you liked so much our appartments in Rome and Venice. You will allways be welcome to come back.
pilargout...
Mexico City, Mexico
“Venezia luxury dream apartment”
Reviewed 20 May 2017 for a stay in September 2016

We definetly chose the most beautiful apartment in Venice!! Its so well located, close to everythig an steps away from Piazza San Marco! The apartment is really unique, so lively and the decoration is just amazing! It has a beautiful stairway and we enjoyes the privacy of each space. The rooms were all so beautiful and comfortable with views to the canals! Upstairs the living rooms and dinning room are in a explendid and spacious atic, we were really stunned! Upstairs we enjoyed sitting every morning having breakfast and every afternoon watching the sunset and the stunnig view and relaxing with a glass of wine.
Thank you so much Katyna for being such a grat host, everything was so clean and perfect. We are really looking forward to go back soon!! First class apartment!!

22 May 2017
Dear Pilar, thanks so much for your beautiful review! I'm really happy that you liked so much our place and that you and your friends enjoyed it so much. Please come back!
1drexi
La Jolla, California
“True to form! -The most Stunning View of Venice”
Reviewed 13 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

This is a very special place if you are serious about wanting to feel like you are truly at home in Venice. What more could one ask for after a long day of trying to do Venice justice by seeing all there is to see, than to come home to a spacious, luxuriously comfortable home, quiet and secluded while right in the middle of San Marco, with views in all directions. Did you miss seeing the Moors striking the clock tower clock?.....not to worry, watch it from the living room couch while having a Bellini and chichetti! Every comfort is provided for and if you really don't want to go out to yet another restaurant, the ambiance at home is truly under stated and elegant. Make no mistake, there are wonderful hotels in Venice with outstanding services, yet none of them can deliver in your suite as much space and charm as can be found here! I will be back!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: That is is a home and not stripped of its personal effects for the sake of being a rental.
Liked least: That we were only there for two days
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
17 Oct 2016
Drex, thanks so much for your beautiful and detailed review. I love when people appreciate such a special place like this one, it makes you special too!
It was very nice having you with us and you will allways be welcome to come back when ever you want.
ghoroks
Paris
““An extraordinary week in such a splendid duplex!!”
Reviewed 29 February 2016 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

What a chance being so close to everything in the heart of Venice and being in such a nice and quiet place.
We loved the view from the living and from the terrace, on the Campanile and the Moors of San Marco. The terrace is so nice to drink a Spritz after a very busy day (so many extraordinary things to visit in Venice..).
Don’t miss to be on the terrace for the ringing of the Venice bells, including the Campanile and the Moors, just in front of you.
We loved also the view from our bedroom on the "crossing" of 4 canals and the permanent procession of gondolas, and specifically the way they make a 90 degrees turn.
On the first floor, you have very large and comfortable en-suite bedrooms and bathrooms and dressings. The Air conditioning is very convenient,.. the weather was hot.
On the second floor you have a huge open space incuding a living and a dinning rooms and an office fool of art books, and the kitchen.
Katyna, our hostess is giving recommendations of what to visit in Venice, be sure to follow these recommendations, they are very good. The advises on restaurants were very useful too and helped us discovering some of the best true venetian restaurants, allowing to run away from the horrible touristic ones surrounding the San Marco Piazza.
The welcome made by Carmelita and the cleaning of the apartment were perfect.
Thank you Katyna !
Martine & Georges ”

Travelling group: Friends
3 Mar 2016
Hi Georges, thank you for your wonderfoul review! You are a great guest!
It was a pleasure having you and to have the chance to meet you Martine and all your beautiful family.
Thanks again!
Katyna
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing