In a beautiful and quiet cul-de-sac in Venice hides this amazing top floor apartment on a gorgeous XVI century palazzo right behind Piazza San Marcos.
The apartment is very elegantly decorated with spacious, conformable and beautiful bedrooms all overlooking the canals.
The cathedral bells, the gondoliers singing and the humming birds are the main sounds while you enjoy the sunroof terrace drinking bellinis and admiring the spectacular view of the campanile.
The owner gave us great tips on where to eat and what to see in town and the housekeeper was kind an helpful.
Definitely Residenza san Marcos was the most extraordinary venetian experience which I highly recommend.
A unique place in the heart of Venice, in a hidden ally away from all the chaos lays Residenza San Marco, a beautiful building surrounded by the unique canals of Venice and just a few steps from Piazza San Marco.
The two leveled apartment is wonderful, the first floor having 3 bedrooms with their own personal bathroom and each having their own view of the canals. As you head upstairs you are guided by a espectacular staircase that leads into the living room, which consist of an even greater space, with a studio, piano, kitchen, and even more windows with spectacular views. Not to mention Emma, the housekeeper, was great and provided us with all the help we needed.
Saving the best for last, upstairs you will find this little door which will lead you to a little terrace on the roof where you will find yourself standing over the streets of Venice having a full 360° view over all the houses and even Plaza San Marcos!! Definitely the best place to have a Bellini and stay in!
I realize there have been some very good reviews on this web site and those views may have been relevant when the owner was more involved in the property. However, Katyna now lives on the West Coast of the United States and has left the property in the hands of an Asian (i.e. non-Venetian) cleaning woman who has no sense of customer service or hospitality whatsoever. The apartment was in poor condition an numerous fronts and Emma, the housekeeper was truly unconcerned.
This review is based on a three night visit by a family of two parents and four young people in their 20's in June 2017.
The deficiencies in this property might be forgivable at a few hundred Euros per night. However, this property is at the same price point as beautiful palazzos available from Viewsonvenice.com and other high-end providers. Ironically, there is a sign posted in the entryway attesting to the commitment of the host to provide five-star service when anything but that is offered for over $1000 a night. The deficiencies are too numerous to mention, but here are some of them:
1. The apartment is 80 steps up from the street level. The staircase is in bad repair. As you enter the entryway at night and turn on the light, the rats (big brown furry ones) run for cover.
2. There is a wheelchair-type staircase lift that is supposed to help bring luggage, etc. up to the apartment. Emma could not make it work at all and did not give us access to the key.
3. There is no housecleaning available once you are checked in. You get two thin, small bath towels per person for your stay and THAT IS IT. A bunch of cheap soaps, measuring 1.5 x 2.5 inches are provided, inferior in quality to the cheapest motel in the USA. No extra rolls of toilet paper are available from Emma either.
4. There is no welcome walk-through. Certainly no greeting, can I pour you some coffee, let us show you the property. Emma is completely unhelpful in arranging for taxis or anything else. She tells you to walk to the Rialto (10 min away) with your luggage to get a taxi to the airport. In fact (if after reading this you rent anyway) the hotel Splendid around the corner has a dock and can call a water taxi.
5. More than 1/2 the light bulbs in the apartment were burned out.
6. The electrical system is a nightmare. Turn on the dishwasher and the oven at the same time and the breaker trips.
7. The appliances are antiquated. The igniters on the stove failed long ago, so there is a manual igniter and a very scary fireball each time you light a burner. The freezer failed entirely. Katyna's concern extended only to "check the breakers." These appliances are more than 15 years old and long past their useful life.
8. The downstairs A/C is adequate, although one room has a floor-standing unit that's pretty loud and ugly. The upstairs A/C is a joke. The upstairs floor is a converted attic with zero insulation (you are looking at the underside of the roof tiles) so you can imagine what that's like on a 95 degree day. There is one wall unit upstairs that is adequate for a space 1/5 the size of the upstairs space, if it was reasonably insulated. there is no ventilation whatsoever in the kitchen, which is also upstairs.
9. the circular stairs connecting the floors are a death trap without railings. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN OF ANY AGE TO THIS APARTMENT or anybody who is infirm in the least.
10. The terrace is a death trap, accessed via an attic window.
11. There is no water pressure in the master shower.
12. The views are somewhat interesting, but far from the best in Venice. You can look down on a picturesque canal and one window has a view of the Moors hitting the bell in St. Mark's Square.
13. Katyna's response to my communication of some of the most pressing issues above is that her property is a "real Venetian home," and not a "rental property," so I should treasure the inconvenience.
13. This could be a decent property, although far inferior to VoV properties at the same price IF:
a. Katyna again takes an interest in guest experience and hires a manager who will care about guest experience.
b. Katyna decides to provide regular cleaning, adequate linens, towels, and toilet paper.
c. Katyna decides to replace the old appliances and provide adequate AC upstairs.
d. Katyna decides to replace the burned out lightbulbs and maintain the property to some semblance of a high end standard.
e. Katyna decides to live up to her written pledge of a five star experience.
f. Guests arrive prepared to get in their aerobic exercise climbing up to the apartment and are happy to look past the rats on the way there.
I had the enormous pleasure of staying in Venezia and Rome during the month of September 2016 in two beautiful places that I leased from a wonderful lady named Katyna and I owe to her to make this commentary because she was such an excellent hostess and her places were so perfectly prepared that I feel this is the least I can do for her.
The accommodations were perfect in every way both in Venezia and Rome , the location, the attention from Dexter her butler in Rome, the view to the San Marcos piazza in Venezia, etc.
Everything was perfect and we just couldn't find anything that would dissatisfied us.
I qualify this vacation as the most memorable in my life and I will do my best to return again to Katyna's world of elegance, class and distinction as soon as my busy agenda allows me to do it.
We definetly chose the most beautiful apartment in Venice!! Its so well located, close to everythig an steps away from Piazza San Marco! The apartment is really unique, so lively and the decoration is just amazing! It has a beautiful stairway and we enjoyes the privacy of each space. The rooms were all so beautiful and comfortable with views to the canals! Upstairs the living rooms and dinning room are in a explendid and spacious atic, we were really stunned! Upstairs we enjoyed sitting every morning having breakfast and every afternoon watching the sunset and the stunnig view and relaxing with a glass of wine.
Thank you so much Katyna for being such a grat host, everything was so clean and perfect. We are really looking forward to go back soon!! First class apartment!!
This is a very special place if you are serious about wanting to feel like you are truly at home in Venice. What more could one ask for after a long day of trying to do Venice justice by seeing all there is to see, than to come home to a spacious, luxuriously comfortable home, quiet and secluded while right in the middle of San Marco, with views in all directions. Did you miss seeing the Moors striking the clock tower clock?.....not to worry, watch it from the living room couch while having a Bellini and chichetti! Every comfort is provided for and if you really don't want to go out to yet another restaurant, the ambiance at home is truly under stated and elegant. Make no mistake, there are wonderful hotels in Venice with outstanding services, yet none of them can deliver in your suite as much space and charm as can be found here! I will be back!!
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
What a chance being so close to everything in the heart of Venice and being in such a nice and quiet place.
We loved the view from the living and from the terrace, on the Campanile and the Moors of San Marco. The terrace is so nice to drink a Spritz after a very busy day (so many extraordinary things to visit in Venice..).
Don’t miss to be on the terrace for the ringing of the Venice bells, including the Campanile and the Moors, just in front of you.
We loved also the view from our bedroom on the "crossing" of 4 canals and the permanent procession of gondolas, and specifically the way they make a 90 degrees turn.
On the first floor, you have very large and comfortable en-suite bedrooms and bathrooms and dressings. The Air conditioning is very convenient,.. the weather was hot.
On the second floor you have a huge open space incuding a living and a dinning rooms and an office fool of art books, and the kitchen.
Katyna, our hostess is giving recommendations of what to visit in Venice, be sure to follow these recommendations, they are very good. The advises on restaurants were very useful too and helped us discovering some of the best true venetian restaurants, allowing to run away from the horrible touristic ones surrounding the San Marco Piazza.
The welcome made by Carmelita and the cleaning of the apartment were perfect.
Thank you Katyna !
Martine & Georges ”