“A surprising and exquisite dining experience”
Review of Met Restaurant

Met Restaurant
Ranked #529 of 1,425 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$89 - US$177
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Castello
Ghent, Belgium
“A surprising and exquisite dining experience”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

For a first dinner at the Met Restaurant, we played along with the traditional vs contemporary experience. The descriptions on the menu made the traditional-style dishes more appealing, but this was deceptive. When the food came on the table, the excelllent but (purposefully) plain-looking and straightforward-tasting traditional dishes were beaten by the creatively presented and subtly flavoured contemporary versions. Interestingly, the sommelier's wine choice worked well with both. This was top modern gastronomy!

2 Thank PPStacanov

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Only ok”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I brought my girlfriend here for her birthday. The service is absolutely amazing, I don't think I could fault one single thing any of the waiting staff did and they made the experience so so special. Now to the food. We ordered the two tasting menus, traditional and contemporary. The traditional menu worked so much better than the contemporary menu. It was pretty much the most disappointing feed I have had in a long time. Maybe the disappointment is down to how much the menu costs but some of the courses were disgusting. Just on the cost too, I'm not sure a cheese board is acceptable as part of a tasting menu that is costing 135 euro. The food just doesn't work, I know the chef is trying to be contemporary but ti just doesn't work. There is a definite need for a change of thought on the menu. The course with 9 fish in it was like eating cardboard, so dry...the dish that had cumin sprinkled on it tasted more like toast shavings, the ravioli with pumpkin was so so sweet (would have been better off as a dessert). We were so so disappointed!

3 Thank Noel S
Felbridge, United Kingdom
“Amongst the worst food I have ever been served”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were absolutely shocked at the poor quality of the meal at the Met. I believe that DavidKlassen's review mirrors the views of each individual in our party of four that dined at this restaurant last month, although I have to say that I think that in some ways, David’s review (below) is tending towards generosity. For example, I described the soup with ‘parmesan air garnish’ as something which reminded me of luke warm, dirty washing up water. Actually it was so disgusting that I didn’t eat it. When the waiter collected the full plate without seeming surprised or asking if there was a problem, we all began to wonder if we were the subjects of something along the lines of ‘Candid Camera’, in that the situation was so bizarre: this was amongst the most expensive meals we had ever eaten and was bordering on being unpalatable.

3 Thank Jackie B
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Most disappointing meal ever”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had a dinner in the Met restaurant as part of a package because we were staying at the Metropole hotel, and we were all quite excited about eating in a Michelin Starred restaurant. Sadly it was the most disappointing meal I've ever had. The Tra' Contemporary menus was bland, tasteless and all style over substance. Some of the Traditional dishes were OK but our party of 4 decided to be adventurous, so 2 of us had the Traditional 2 had the Contemporary. Unfortunately I had the contemporary menu and it was surprising in its total lack of flavour. I have no ideas how it earned a Michelin Star. There were dishes like a small hollowed out potato stuffed with Octopus mousse which had no flavour at all. The Soup which was supposed to have Parmesan Air as a garnish was the most tasteless and bland concoction I've ever had. There was a traditional fish course of a selection of fish from the Lagoon in a Saffron Sauce which was quite nice but nothing exceptional however the Contemporary version was a fish sausage with rubbery texture and no distinguishable flavour at all. I was so shocked that I was stunned into silence and just smiled in cringing embarrassment at the waiters. Looking back I should have said something but at the time but it was all a bit surreal and like declaring the Emperor was wearing no clothes. However I've now seen some of the other Trip Advisor reviews and see that I'm not alone in my experience. This restaurant really lets this elegant 5* Hotel down. I cannot recommend it.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank DavidKlaasen
Bristol, Virginia
“We were crazy to have dined here.”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Ummm....being an annual visitor to Venice I have eaten at most local fine restaurants. My apartment in Castello is behind Metropole Hotel so I walk past this place often...thought I would try it. The interior design (and I am an Interior Designer) is so contrived it made me chuckle. The service was good and the waiters very nice but the food just did not 'get it'. Being a foodie I was quite disappointed but I now know I need not return.

1 Thank kaningryta