“My first time in Italy - amazing”
Review of Venice

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
Philadelphia
248 helpful votes
“My first time in Italy - amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

This was one of the best trips I've ever done. It was my first time in Italy and I got to spend 2 days and 3 nights in Venice. I stayed in Marghera district and took bus to Venice every day.

Make sure to bring comfortable shoes because you'll be walking all day long. There are no rental cars or taxis allowed on the islands. You'll have to see them by foot even though you might take a ferry to get to them. Make sure you'll buy a pass for public transportation as it's much cheaper then paying for ferries and buses (go to other districts) separately. I got 48-hour pass for under 30 Euros and used it about 20 times. If you purchase a single ticket for ferry, it's $6. You do the math!

In 2 days, I saw San Marco square, went inside of its Basilica (you have to check in your backpack and camera around the corner), on the top of San Marco tower (the best attraction b/c of amazing panoramatic views), took a tour of Palazzo Ducale (book behind the scenes tour online at least 2 weeks in advance), walked over Realto Bridge (too crowded and touristy), visited several churches, walked over many bridges... I also took a ferry to Burano, Murano, and Torcello islands. They were much more quiet and less touristy than Venice.

Don't do the gondola ride. It's $80 a absolutely touristy and crowded. You'll be waiting in line with other gondolas to pass certain canals and you might even get annoyed by drunk tourists on some of them. They are not romantic at all. And only very few guides actually sing like they show in the movies.

I highly recommend spending at least 2 full days in Venice. If you'd like to take it easy, sit in cafes, enjoy the food, live music, etc ., allocate more time. The food there is amazing and locals are very friendly. They understood my Spanish better than English.

7 Thank sk_denny
Florida
59 helpful votes
“Don't Miss the Seafood & Produce Markets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

This was one of the best discoveries in Venice. Just across the Rialto bridge, there are many vendors selling fabulously fresh seafood and produce. Go early morning for a photographer's paradise. Lots of little restaurants, much better priced than around areas such as San Marco, are open early so you can pop in for a reasonably-priced breakfast, too.

3 Thank katesjourneys
Canada
15 helpful votes
“truly-venice rentals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

My husband, 9 year old daughter and I visited Venice in May 2010. We booked our apartment through Tuly-Venice. Our contact was Daniela. We were very pleased with our service. We rented the Vivaldi apartment in San Stefano. It is right by the Accademia Bridge. I had sent many e-mails to Daniela with umpteen questions and she answered all of them and did so promptly. The apartment was clean and in a great location. There are two bedroooms and baths, small kitchen and sitting area. We booked our water taxi and our evening meal the first night through Truly-Venice. Paolo met us at the Venice airport holding a sign with our name on it. When he moored the taxi right by the apartment, Daniela was there to meet us. She gave us a great map of Venice and pointed out all the places we were interested in. And she told us the easiest way to get there. I would not hesitate in recommending Tuly-Venice Apartments. The service and apartment were super. Thank you Daniela.

7 Thank susanincanada
los angeles
33 helpful votes
“Venice Take a day trip from Florence by train don't spend the night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

I have traveled to a lot of places but this place was my biggest let down. We stayed 3 days and 3 days is too long. You can see everything in a day or two at most and if you are going to stay in a hotel in Venice make sure it is near San Marco Plaza. My other traveling tip is, the people are not very friendly to travelers and I am sorry, but if you hate your job move. These were the rudest people on the planet. They won't give you an honest answer and we were told by our hotel that we could get on the water taxi behind their hotel and buy a ticket from the driver, well that wasn't true, you have to buy a water taxi ticket from a ticket booth and if you are going to be there 2 days then buy a 2 day ticket because we were screwed and told we had to pay 50 euro a piece as a penalty and if we didn't pay they would call the police. It is a racket, and I am ok with that I have traveled most of Europe and Central America and we traveled all of Italy and Venice is the only place we got screwed. We are thankful for that but just wanted to let other people know to be weary. These people seem very unhappy and not helpful so get used to it. Stay at a hotel one night see all the sites and buzz out of town. I would stay on a 2nd floor room due to mold not to mention bed bug issues. My suggestion if traveling by train. Base Camp in Florence, take the Euro Rail up to venice , get there in 2 hours take boat to Plaza San Marco, enjoy the sites, do the doge's palace tour in the afternoon, take a boat to murano and take the last train out and go back to Florence. Florence is ten times nicer the people are not rude and the hotels are nice and not moldy. good luck, everyone should see Venice but to be truthful I have never seen so many people in the service industry absolutely hate every person they served. Most waiters were not helpful and were just the rudest group in Italy. , i just don't think it was as romatic as I pictured it. Major issues with that city and I would never go back and I guess that is why the travel books say you will either love it or hate it. I loved Murano and Plaza San Marco but I can tell you that were you get off on the train and if you choose a hotel on that side the people are the nastiest group I have ever endured..

7 Thank traveler12000
San Jose
2 helpful votes
“How to select a hotel in Venice.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

My main concern about where to stay in Venice was practicality. We are senior citizens and my wife has problems with walking long distances and climbing stairs pulling luggage. I admit we do not travel light but no one goes for a stay in Venice, combined with a cruise to the Greek islands carrying a knapsack. I have read so many horror stories about people that could not find their hotels on the island or having a small room upstairs and no elevators. We decided to stay on the main land at the Marriott Courtyard in Tessera which is about one mile or less from Marco Polo Airport. I know it's a short walk -- I did it after dropping off my car rental. In any case, the hotel has a shuttle for customers that runs every half hour or on demand. Across from the hotel, there is a bus stop where you can get bus # 5 or 5A that takes you to Piazzale Roma where you start your exploring while walking towards the Rialto Bridge and San Marco square. From there, you can also take a vaporetto that will take you to those places via the Grand Canal. The bus fare is 1.20 Euro and the Vaporetto fare is 6.5 Euros. No heavy luggage to pull or trouble finding your hotel in the maze that is Venice. Return trip is just as easy. The Marriott was great although not cheap. There are a few inexpensive eateries within 100 yards west of the hotel. Finally, you don't have to stay at the Marriott, as long as you stay on that bus line. Incidentally, there is an express bus that goes non stop from the airport to Piazzale Roma for 2 Euros more, but what's the rush.

2 Thank Begoman

Been to Venice? Share your experiences!