“Romeo's Home is now an Eatery”
Review of Osteria Al Duca

Osteria Al Duca
Ranked #75 of 1,262 Restaurants in Verona
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 January 2014

In Verona, city of lovers Romeo and Juliette, there are some places that are "like" the homes they'd have if they really had lived. As in, R & J were fictional. Shock! I know. I'm still reeling from the horror of being told, "Nick Carroway is fictional." What?

Anyway, this restaurant, in what I think is an ideal city, ancient as Romans (and probably earlier) and as modern as Mercedes SUV's buzzing around the cobblestone streets, is a subtly lit (important to me), low-slung, cozy place to enjoy a meal.

We went as part of a group of 22 college students and 4 adults, so we had a group rate and a special (limited) menu.

Pappardelle with Duck Sauce: The meat here is different. This sauce is like a Bolognese in texture, ground duck like ground beef, on my favorite pasta, pappardelle. An inch wide and tender to the tooth, it's pure heaven. The portions are generous, and I can rarely finish them, when expected to also order a "secondi," or second course.

Insalate: a work of art salad was my choice for a 2d course. I just couldn't eat more meat, although most others have no problem with this.

My husband had a steak of horse meat. Horse and donkey meat are specialties of the north of Italy, so expect it. I just can't partake of Mr. Ed, Black Beauty or Trigger. Just not happening.

We lingered, had espresso, desserts. We tasted Panna Cotta, Semi-freddo and other lovely, house-made "dolci."

If you want simply-prepared, regional fare, this is a great place.

2  Thank Kate C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Reservations are a must here, especially after 7PM.

AMBIANCE
=========
Occupied the ground and first floor of a house with battlements built in the thirteenth century. Supposedly the oldest osteria in town.
Tavern and rustic.

FOOD
=====
€21.00 MENU

*SPAGHETTI WITH MEAT SAUCE
Good flavor, but nothing special. The pasta didn't taste homemade, more like packaged. They asked me if "ragu" was OK and I agreed to it. I think their "ragu" is actually donkey meat. Oh boy.

*TENDER BEEF STEWED IN AMRONE RED WINE SAUCE WITH POLENTA
Their beef was OK once again. Nothing extraordinary. The polenta was overkill after consuming the spaghetti.

BEVERAGE
=========
House red was rather disappointing. Lacked boldness.

SERVICE
========
The women staff were "to-the-point".
Not exactly friendly, not exactly unfriendly.
Food came out quickly.

NOTES
======
Their specialities are BIGOLI WITH DONKEY RAGU, pappardelle with duck sauce, pasta and fagioli, and horse meat dishes. Didn't try any of these since we were not into donkey or horse meat.

Was our least favorite dining experience in Verona.

Preferred the nearby wine bars.

1  Thank Betty N
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Food is extraordinary if you want a tipical meal.
It's better to call And book, at 14.00 is the best.
The Service is spartan, tipical of an Osteria!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We visited the Osteria as it came highly recommended by the locals and we really enjoyed our meal and the authentic atmosphere. There were very few tourists there and we were warmly greeted by the owners. The place was very packed but we were seated within minutes even without a reservation on a Saturday night. Our meal was delicious and the arrabiata was some of the best I have ever eaten! I will definitely go back again!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Really pleasurable, had a good pastissada (the awesome horse stew tipycal from Verona) with polenta... I was dreaming about it since I moved to NYC. Great wine, really good dessert. Definetelly a keeper!